Thread: BSOD on new SN45G

Thanks

Help BSOD on new SN45G

Putting my new SN45G together is giving me some hassle.
    I keep getting a blue screen in XP. I've got a feeling it is the memory but some of you with more experience may know otherwise.

Spec:

2x 512MB Xtreme Technology DDR PC2700 (333)
    Sapphire 9200 Atlantis 128
    AMD 2500+ XP

I have installed Windows XP, latest mobo and gfx card drivers and updated the bios to 45....M However I cant run the system at the settings I think it should be at.

[1] When I set the bios in optimal mode to 166. When the PC boots the bios output correctly identifies the cpu as an Athalon XP 2500+ and the memory running at 333. Here 25% of the time I will get a blue screen during boot. If it makes it to the logon screen as soon as I click one of the users it crashes.

[2] Dropping the setting for the CPU down to 150. Gives me the following on the bios screen. CPU is a 1900+ and memory running at 266. Here the PC boots up fine an works with the occassional blue screen. Unfortunatly the blue screens vanish before I can read them and make a note of the error(s). But from the words I have caught it sounds like a memory thing (Invalid address, out of range,....)

When the PC reboots XP offers to send a report to MS. If I send it sometimes the returned diagnosis is a device driver other times they have no answer.

[3] I thought something weird might have happen during the install of XP. So I set the bios settings back to 166 for the CPU and tryed to install XP again on a different partition. Both times I got a BSOD before it got to the bit before it asks you where to install XP. If you are wondering how I installed XP in the first place I think I did it when the BIOS was at the default setting of 100 FSB.

[4] Back on the 150 setting where the PC thinks it has a AMD 1900+ i have run some CPU stress programs. The system stays up during these tests when the CPU is maxed out.

As I said at the start my guess is memory so I am going to see if I can find anyone I know with a spare bit of PC2700 memory and try that. However if you think I am going in the wrong direction or have any advise about testing the existing memory or config please let me know.
    Last edited by SFFNewBoy; 12-01-2004 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks
    New memory fixed the problem.

Followed the link off the hexus homepage to Crucial and chose the memory they recommended for a SN45G.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SFFNewBoy
    Putting my new SN45G together is giving me some hassle.
    I keep getting a blue screen in XP. I've got a feeling it is the memory but some of you with more experience may know otherwise.

Spec:

2x 512MB Xtreme Technology DDR PC2700 (333)
    Sapphire 9200 Atlantis 128
    AMD 2500+ XP

I have installed Windows XP, latest mobo and gfx card drivers and updated the bios to 45....M However I cant run the system at the settings I think it should be at.

[1] When I set the bios in optimal mode to 166. When the PC boots the bios output correctly identifies the cpu as an Athalon XP 2500+ and the memory running at 333. Here 25% of the time I will get a blue screen during boot. If it makes it to the logon screen as soon as I click one of the users it crashes.

[2] Dropping the setting for the CPU down to 150. Gives me the following on the bios screen. CPU is a 1900+ and memory running at 266. Here the PC boots up fine an works with the occassional blue screen. Unfortunatly the blue screens vanish before I can read them and make a note of the error(s). But from the words I have caught it sounds like a memory thing (Invalid address, out of range,....)

When the PC reboots XP offers to send a report to MS. If I send it sometimes the returned diagnosis is a device driver other times they have no answer.

[3] I thought something weird might have happen during the install of XP. So I set the bios settings back to 166 for the CPU and tryed to install XP again on a different partition. Both times I got a BSOD before it got to the bit before it asks you where to install XP. If you are wondering how I installed XP in the first place I think I did it when the BIOS was at the default setting of 100 FSB.

[4] Back on the 150 setting where the PC thinks it has a AMD 1900+ i have run some CPU stress programs. The system stays up during these tests when the CPU is maxed out.

As I said at the start my guess is memory so I am going to see if I can find anyone I know with a spare bit of PC2700 memory and try that. However if you think I am going in the wrong direction or have any advise about testing the existing memory or config please let me know.

Thanks
    I have built three shuttles with the SN45G barebones kit. They work a lot better with good quality ram. I tried using PC2100 ram with an athalon 2500XP chip, which runs at 166/333 and the system was unstable and bluescreened.

After replacing the ram chips with good PC2700 ram, the system was very stable.

I have also found that old graphics drivers on the 9600 graphics cards make the system unstable too, so get the latest off the ati web site....not the windows update page.

Thread Information