Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 40

Thread: PCs ... Prepare to die

  1. #1
    Senior Member Stringent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    5,226
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    155 times in 117 posts
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

    PCs ... Prepare to die


  2. Received thanks from:

    kalniel (05-02-2013)

  3. #2
    I'm Very Important
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,734
    Thanks
    307
    Thanked
    307 times in 276 posts
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    We'll need a new thread to tabulate all the results!

    lets see if there's any life in the old lady!

  4. #3
    HEXUS.timelord. Zak33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I'm a Jessie
    Posts
    34,154
    Thanks
    2,581
    Thanked
    2,641 times in 1,666 posts
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1060
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Android and Apple iOS !!!

    wow

    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

  5. #4
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,021
    Thanks
    1,191
    Thanked
    2,239 times in 1,842 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    Android and Apple iOS !!!

    wow
    So, if your phone gets a higher 3dMark score than your computer, do you admit it, or not?
    Last edited by scaryjim; 05-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    741
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    20 times in 19 posts
    • PowerPie5000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock X99 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6850K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 (4x4GB Quad Channel)
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Crucial MX200 SSD + 2TB Toshiba SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI RX580 Gaming X
      • PSU:
      • 750W Riotoro Enigma G2 Modular PSU (Seasonic Focus Plus Gold).
      • Case:
      • AeroCool Dead Silence 230
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2590FX 24.5" 144Hz Freesync
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Faster Fibre Boost

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Lets see how many people get the upgrade itch when they see their beloved PC's screaming in agony (or should i say 'hear' their PC's scream with heavy coil whine ).

  7. #6
    Moderator chuckskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    7,713
    Thanks
    951
    Thanked
    690 times in 463 posts
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Not had much that really thrashes this rig yet, let's see...

  8. #7
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,945
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked
    1,196 times in 1,099 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Downloading the basic free version now . . . on my work pc, this should be fun

  9. #8
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,021
    Thanks
    1,191
    Thanked
    2,239 times in 1,842 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    Not had much that really thrashes this rig yet, let's see...
    Really? Read some forums and you'd think that the absolute *minimum* spec for getting acceptable framerates would be an i5 @ 4.5Ghz, 32GB of RAM and a GTX680

    Won't be able to test any DX11 until my next upgrade*, but I'll be running Ice Storm on everything I own (might even persuade the boy to run it on his new Android tab when the Android version's available ), and I might do some hybrid crossfire testing on my AM3 system (I've got a spare 3470 kicking around for just such shenanigans )

    *sudden realisation: the AMD bundle I won off Hexus is DX11! Finally, I'm on the cutting edge

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Downloading the basic free version now . . . on my work pc, this should be fun
    I should get my colleague to download it - we've got a computation workstation with dual 7970s in it

  10. #9
    Senior Member Stringent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    5,226
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    155 times in 117 posts
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Mine keeps crashing during the Ice Test. Demo runs fine, when the test comes it freezes and the FPS and frames keep going up. Anyone else?

  11. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Redditch
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • ste852's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77A-GD55
      • CPU:
      • i-7 3770K @4.5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD + 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E2473HDS
      • Internet:
      • MORE SPEED NEEDED!!

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    I ran it and the final graphics test i got just 4fps -.-

  12. #11
    Moderator chuckskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    7,713
    Thanks
    951
    Thanked
    690 times in 463 posts
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Really? Read some forums and you'd think that the absolute *minimum* spec for getting acceptable framerates would be an i5 @ 4.5Ghz, 32GB of RAM and a GTX680
    ...
    I should get my colleague to download it - we've got a computation workstation with dual 7970s in it
    What's the point in playing games without a giant e-peen to rest your keyboard on? It was at 4.9 for a little while, but the heat and noise was ridiculous. Saw over 100c on one core Decided to apply a small amount, just a wee bit mind, of sense. You really don't need anything like this for gaming tbh.

    If you don't run it on the 7970's I will have to insist you turn in your nerd card.

    On to the program itself, a couple of the tests were quite crushing dropped my fps in one down to 10fps, which is what you want IMHO. The last one fire strike is the chunky hard hitting benchmark, just skip the first 2 if that's all you're after scored over 1000fps on the first one Seemed to be using a 3Dmark05 level of polygons. Suppose it's there for bench older/slower rigs. (edit: seems you have you run through the whole lot on the free version regardless)

    Main complaint is that the scores aren't presented within the program, you need to go online and their site seems to be really struggling atm. 4 distinct errors and multiple compete failures before I actually got a score and couldn't get the comparison system working at all. Though at least you don't need to rerun the benchmarks to retry.

    Achievements seem utterly pointless, I got one for having 666 in one of my scores. As I said pointless.

    It also shows a long demo of each benchmark before running them, which seemed to play no part in the actual benchmarking. Might be useful for stability testing I suppose but unless you're looping it which you can't do in the free version, again pointless.

    It has however pointed out that my MVP isn't working(think that's just for this program) and my RAM's at the wrong speed so can't fault them on that.

    Scores for anyone who cares; http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/48479

    Now I'm tempted to plug the old 470 in as a physx card damn you futuremark
    Last edited by chuckskull; 05-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.

  13. #12
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,021
    Thanks
    1,191
    Thanked
    2,239 times in 1,842 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    If you don't run it on the 7970's I will have to insist you turn in your nerd card.
    Sadly it's not my rig to decide Also, it might be on Windows Server in which case it'd be a no go anyway. I will give it a go on my work laptop though, be interested to seeing how a mobile i7 with HD4000 gets on

    Ice Storm (the first test) is the one for cross-platform comparisons. It's DX11 level 9 (i.e. DX9 compatible) and has an OpenGL ES codepath for mobiles. Running it on a bleeding edge overclocked enthusiast rig is as close to pointless as I can imagine. I'll be interested to see how Tegra 2 compares to ULV Core 2 + GMA4500 though

  14. #13
    Moderator chuckskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    7,713
    Thanks
    951
    Thanked
    690 times in 463 posts
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Sadly it's not my rig to decide Also, it might be on Windows Server in which case it'd be a no go anyway. I will give it a go on my work laptop though, be interested to seeing how a mobile i7 with HD4000 gets on

    Ice Storm (the first test) is the one for cross-platform comparisons. It's DX11 level 9 (i.e. DX9 compatible) and has an OpenGL ES codepath for mobiles. Running it on a bleeding edge overclocked enthusiast rig is as close to pointless as I can imagine. I'll be interested to see how Tegra 2 compares to ULV Core 2 + GMA4500 though
    Didn't think of the mobile angle. Being able to easily and directly compare the whole range of devices could be interesting and could help with the problem you alluded to of overselling. It's an idea I hope they run with. My mate has one of those mobile i7s, nothing on a discrete card obviously but surprisingly competent and nippy, particularly for someone who grew up with integrated graphics being utterly unable to even handle youtube vids let alone gaming.

  15. #14
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Redditch
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • ste852's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77A-GD55
      • CPU:
      • i-7 3770K @4.5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD + 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E2473HDS
      • Internet:
      • MORE SPEED NEEDED!!

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    Now I'm tempted to plug the old 470 in as a physx card damn you futuremark
    I run a GTX 470 and got the 4fps on the combined test

  16. #15
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,091
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked
    2,919 times in 2,366 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    Now I'm tempted to plug the old 470 in as a physx card damn you futuremark
    Given it uses Bullet for physics I'm not sure that'd help

  17. Received thanks from:

    chuckskull (05-02-2013)

  18. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    268 times in 169 posts
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

    Re: PCs ... Prepare to die

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    What's the point in playing games without a giant e-peen to rest your keyboard on? It was at 4.9 for a little while, but the heat and noise was ridiculous. Saw over 100c on one core Decided to apply a small amount, just a wee bit mind, of sense. You really don't need anything like this for gaming tbh.

    If you don't run it on the 7970's I will have to insist you turn in your nerd card.

    On to the program itself, a couple of the tests were quite crushing dropped my fps in one down to 10fps, which is what you want IMHO. The last one fire strike is the chunky hard hitting benchmark, just skip the first 2 if that's all you're after scored over 1000fps on the first one Seemed to be using a 3Dmark05 level of polygons. Suppose it's there for bench older/slower rigs. (edit: seems you have you run through the whole lot on the free version regardless)

    Main complaint is that the scores aren't presented within the program, you need to go online and their site seems to be really struggling atm. 4 distinct errors and multiple compete failures before I actually got a score and couldn't get the comparison system working at all. Though at least you don't need to rerun the benchmarks to retry.

    Achievements seem utterly pointless, I got one for having 666 in one of my scores. As I said pointless.

    It also shows a long demo of each benchmark before running them, which seemed to play no part in the actual benchmarking. Might be useful for stability testing I suppose but unless you're looping it which you can't do in the free version, again pointless.

    It has however pointed out that my MVP isn't working(think that's just for this program) and my RAM's at the wrong speed so can't fault them on that.

    Scores for anyone who cares; http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/48479

    Now I'm tempted to plug the old 470 in as a physx card damn you futuremark
    Your scores don't fit at all tbh, I'm running a stock 3570k and 670 and my scores are higher then yours. You beat me in cloud gate but was higher in the other two...might be the driver version your running.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •