Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is there any point in getting a 64bit cpu?

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    It will be a long time before decent boards (P4 or AMD) will exist that have proper PCI-Express implementations.
    The PCI-E imlementations are 'proper' but they also include normal PCI slots so that people don't need the throw away their old sound cards, NICs etc. We don't see the performance benifits of PCI-E now not becuase it's not implemented properly, but because there is nothing that uses the extra bandwidth given by PCI-E. This will probably come in the next gen of GPU's.

Even if WinXP 64Bit is gonna be here soon there are no 64 Bit applications to run on it and in 32 bit applications the performance will probably be slower at the start before companies get their WinXP 64 bit drivers up to the same level as the 32 bit ones.

Intel are now shipping their Xeons with 64 bit capabilities (i think), but i dunno how long till their desktop CPUs with get the 64 extensions as well.
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF
    Intel 64 bit is already here & it will run XP64 bit - but at a significant price http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...ookie%5Ftest=1
    Supposedly EMT64 support is already built into Intel's desktop chips now but currently it is disabled.

(btw are you StormPC from Extremesystems?)
    These are server chips and they are running 32 bit Win XP, not 64 bit.

If Intel had 64 bit in their chips they would not have disabled it unless they had problems making it work. They are working on desktop chips that will be able to run the new XP 64. Did I mention that my 64 bit XP shipped with SP1? And you think 64 bit is far off?

There are over 300 popular software titles (that I know of personally) that are ready to go once M$ releases XP 64 officially. The software vendors have been aware of XP 64 for a very long time. In most cases all that was needed was a recompile (and a very small amount of coding in some cases) to convert the 32 bit apps to 64 bit.

There is an XP 64 that runs on Itanium but it's not the same and ONLY runs 64 bit without 32 emulation. It will not be supported in the future, and on 32 bit apps it is extremely slow.

Yes I used to bench for XS sometimes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mblaster
    The PCI-E imlementations are 'proper' but they also include normal PCI slots so that people don't need the throw away their old sound cards, NICs etc. We don't see the performance benifits of PCI-E now not becuase it's not implemented properly, but because there is nothing that uses the extra bandwidth given by PCI-E. This will probably come in the next gen of GPU's.

Even if WinXP 64Bit is gonna be here soon there are no 64 Bit applications to run on it and in 32 bit applications the performance will probably be slower at the start before companies get their WinXP 64 bit drivers up to the same level as the 32 bit ones.

Intel are now shipping their Xeons with 64 bit capabilities (i think), but i dunno how long till their desktop CPUs with get the 64 extensions as well.
    As long as the motherboards are bound by the limitations of PCI and AGP they will not have proper implementations of PCI-E.

Even if WinXP 64 is gonna be here soon? I just got my copy with SP1. By the time it is actually released (thanks for dragging your butt Intel...) it will be at SP2. Also, drivers are a non-issue now. I have them for all my hardware, even the latest stuff.

Yes Intel is shipping 64 bit CPUs. They have been for quite some time, but still not shipping the desktop units. The significance of the new Xeons is that they run both 32 and 64 bit just like the AMD64s. This should tell you that AMD has caused Intel to rethink it's position on 64 bit CPUs. 64 bit is coming very soon. There are going to be a lot of pissed off 32 bit system owners soon as well. I'm glad I won't be one of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    These are server chips and they are running 32 bit Win XP, not 64 bit.
    "While we were able to load our latest build of Windows XP 64-bit Edition on both systems and were able to run some quick 64-bit SiSoft Sandra benchmarks..."

Did I mention that my 64 bit XP shipped with SP1? And you think 64 bit is far off?
    I never said it was far off - I've got my copy of XP 64 bit too.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    remember, even though win xp 64 bit is available to ANYONE that requests a cd or the download, stormpc is special

Win xp 64 bit is on sp1 because its a reworked version of the CURRENT WIN XP. it was started and basically finished ages ago, its been available on a 399 day licence or something for what, 6-9 months. A newer version was annouced as being available a month or so ago, this would be with SP1 in i would assume.

Simply put, 64 bit, 32 bit, its not a question, the question is "should i buy a ath 64, sempron, ath xp, P4 478 or 775?" the answer is " buy anything other than ath 64 and regret it".

ITs simply faster than the other chips now and is the only chip available to buy right now that will, with a new version of windows gain a very easy10-15% boost in most encoding and gaming apps. More in some less gain in others, but will be faster without doubt.

Another thing to make clear is, there are LOTS of versions of linux distro's that can and do run in 64 bit.

Thanks
    • GingerNinja.net's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI
      • CPU:
      • AMD Opteron 144 @ 2507MHz
      • Memory:
      • GSKILL Extreme Series (HZ) DDR I PC4000 3-4-4-8 Dual Channel (2x1024MB)
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 250GB Samsung Spinpoint P120S in RAID3 via XFX Revo 64 SATA Netcell controller
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek WinFast PX8800 GTS TDH 640MB @ 630/950 (1.9GHz eff.)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12-600
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 66
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005FPW @ 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Free 8Mbps @ 5.5Mbps actual (with frequent drops & router reboots needed!)
    Great thread - nice to see people who have experience of XP64 contributing as I always prefer the advise of thos who have "been there, done that".

Current Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    Asus A7N266-E nForce MoBo
    2 x 512MB PC 2100
    MSI GeForce FX600 TD-256
    2 x 80GB Hitachi Deskstar 7k250 in RAID 0 on PCI EIDE Controller
    Plextor CD-RW 40/12/40A
    Generic DVD-Rom

Obviously, I need an upgrade and I am focusing on "bang per buck" with a max budget of £1000 (£300 or so of which I am spending on a customised case, colour matched keyboard and TAGAN or ANTEC PSU):

Proposed Rig:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (or 3800+ if they drop significantly)
    Asus A8V Deluxe WiFi (revision 2)
    2 x 512MB PC3200 Crucial CT6464Z40B
    XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256Mb
    2 x 160Gb Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 SATA (For RAID 0)

May also get a Asus DRW-0804P to replace my DVD-ROM (don't plan on copying DVD's but burning them, sure!) and keep my Plextor.
    I am also planning on also moving across my 2 x 80GB 7K250's and running them in RAID 1 for my user data section.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a decent spec? Also, I assume that I will need a decent CPU heatsink & fan. Does the Akasa AK-855 fit on S939?

In case you are wondering, I am a gamer who also dabbles in web/image design and that is the reason for going AMD 64.

GingerNinja.net - Gamer, Geek & Father of 3

Thanks
    its not just that a64's are 64bit "capable" they are fkn powerful as hell 32bit chips. the fx chips are cpu's that make p4ee's in everyhing but multitasking and decoding look slow

you just can't do alot of stuff as good opn a $1000 p4ee and wiht future full 64bit computeing how can you go wrong..

did i mention the fx53's overclock like crazy

your own pifast

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks
    fast xp = doom3 no probs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF
    "While we were able to load our latest build of Windows XP 64-bit Edition on both systems and were able to run some quick 64-bit SiSoft Sandra benchmarks..."

Did I mention that my 64 bit XP shipped with SP1? And you think 64 bit is far off?
    I never said it was far off - I've got my copy of XP 64 bit too.
    Sorry, it was the others who were saying it was far off. I was replying to you but speaking to the forum also.

There are many under the mistaken idea that 64 bit is not here yet. Actually, if you run a P4 or XP this is true. Many like MasterDrunk respond with flames like "remember, even though win xp 64 bit is available to ANYONE that requests a cd or the download, stormpc is special" and love to spew misinformation and try to pick fights to help ease their pain while they totally miss the real point. I thought I was making the point that XP 64 bit edition was now shipping in a pre-release SP1 version (meaning everyone can get it) and that the full retail version is just around the corner. His insecurity (and drinking prowess) evidently caused him to read other meaning into my words. My point is, IT"S HERE RIGHT NOW!!! And everyone who has bought a CPU other than an AMD64 chip has been screwed by the person who sold it to them because these people knew their customers would not be able to run XP 64. For someone like me who changes PC configurations daily buying a 32 bit CPU is of little consequence. For those who buy a computer once every 1-3 years, they'll be buying a new computer sooner than they think if running the newest OS is in their plans.

I feel sorry for the poor ba$tards that bought a P4EE system thinking they were getting something comparable to an A64 just because they bench ok in DX9 benches.
    Last edited by StormPC; 13-09-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks
    64bit... NOT NEEDED! Longhorn wont even be 64bit! and its still over a year away! So this means a 32 bit proc will last a long time!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    64bit... NOT NEEDED!
    & nobody needs a Lamborghini either but that doesn't mean that I don't want or could find a use for 1

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    64bit... NOT NEEDED! Longhorn wont even be 64bit! and its still over a year away! So this means a 32 bit proc will last a long time!
    Sure a 32 bit processor will last years (they already have..lol) as long as you don't plan on running the new OS's (WinXP x64 Edition) or applications being released very soon. If on the other hand you wish to run the new stuff you absolutely do need an A64 or Opteron, or the new Intel chips that will be released even sooner than Intel wants to. Nothing else will run it.

If Longhorn is not 64 bit what does it matter that it's over a year away? I mean, if it's 32 bit, in what way is your comment relevant to the title of this thread? I think the title under your name tells us where you're coming from.

Since you brought up Longhorn I'll ask you this. Longhorn is by far the most resource hungry, innovative and robust OS for a desktop PC ever contemplated. I happen to know that there will be both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Longhorn. So what do you think will be the more powerful of the two versions, 32 bit or 64? Which do you think will live longest and receive the most support and updates? Yes, I (and everyone else) already know the answer to this question. You are included in everyone.

Thanks
    The pros & cons of this thread I respect and after long deliberation I plunged in at the deep end and bought an Amd 64 3000, was I disappionted, was I hell I love it.

I have also downloaded Win 64 and yes it does have it's problems with drivers because the various manufactures wont wake up to the fact that 64 bit computing is here NOW so please wake up to the fact.

I have found Win 64 more stable than the old windows XP which is a good sign and bodes well for the future.

Also the price of 64 cpu's are also dropping in price which is a good thing.

So jump on the band wagon and join us

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    also whats the deals with these AMD Sempron's ? i have not seen these before?
    Semprons are not 64 bit (think someone else mentioned this).

I think a better thread would be "Is there any point in buying a 32 bit CPU when 64 bit ones are in many cases cheaper and in all cases faster, even in 32 bit?"

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    [QUOTE=Mblaster] When i upgrade i usually just buy a whole new PC anyway, so it looks like I;m gonna be waiting until next time to go to PCI-E and DDR2.

Try and salvage as many parts from your old pc as you can. It's more environmentally friendly, cheaper and you get to experience the "joys" of building your own!

btw PCI-E (express?) is really an increase in bandwidth which is not required atm as "we" stilll haven't maxed out AGP 8x and DDR2 looks a bit lame i.e. AMD may skip that and go to DDR3 and we don't see too many real worl benefits currently.

atm I only have my floppy and samsung 20gb hard drive in my rig I bought in 2000, BUT with 45 quids worth of case, psu, cd-rom drive I have salvaged that old K750 and given it too my auntie who now surfs the web and rights out her recipes and stores her photos on it!!

Unless you have left it way too long to upgrade steadily for your needs then go the whole new pc route.

imho

Thanks
    • Hottentot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 at 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • SSD + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • CM HAF 932 (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 2690WUXi
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb
    There are already some games which will be 64 bit (eg STALKER) but since most of them won't be out til 2005 there is no rush to get a 64 bit CPU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information