Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painfully slow laptop. Hardware fault I'm thinking...

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Painfully slow laptop. Hardware fault I'm thinking...

Try downloading the GPU driver from the ASUS website - http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...X5DC&p=3&s=193

Sometimes windows will install the wrong one, leading to what you experience.

ZaO

Ok guys. Some good news. I got some W7 graphics drivers off the Asus website, and the older ones they had worked fine. It's not as snappy as my pc, but I guess I shouldn't expect that lol. The fan seems to spin ok too, it's just so damn quiet that I couldn't tell without taking the case off! I really got to learn to look for the simpler solutions first before assuming it's something worse. I would say lesson learned, but I've been doing this for years and I nearly always do this haha

So my options now are to either find a 32 bit copy of W7 and then try using the key printed on the back of the laptop and hope it activates. Or try finding some proper Ubuntu drivers, which is what I would prefer to do. I am in the process of searching but not having much luck with this. Can anyone help with that? It's an Asus X5DC btw. Thanks a lot for all the help so far

Edit: @TechOasis - Just noticed your post man. I already went there but thanks anyways

Registered+
    Thanks

Great news.

I have a tendency to dive in at the deep end first too!

32/64 bit keys are not specific - so it should still activate if you enter the key. Assuming your CD is an OEM version! If you entered the key during installation, and it now says the key is incorrect - ignore it and enter the same one again, it's a common flaw.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by TechOasis View Post
    Great news.

I have a tendency to dive in at the deep end first too!

32/64 bit keys are not specific - so it should still activate if you enter the key. Assuming your CD is an OEM version! If you entered the key during installation, and it now says the key is incorrect - ignore it and enter the same one again, it's a common flaw.
    Haha yeh it's an old habbit that wont die easy!

I didn't realize that! I have an OEM x64 disc which I bought for my gaming pc. I already have that installed on the laptop so I'll try activating it with the laptop key Not having much luck with finding Ubuntu drivers. Not unless I wanna get gritty with the command console. I'm pretty decent as a computer software end user, but don't wanna go to far into all that stuff. I started doing it a bit a little while back and I ended up not having/making time for anything else @_@

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Strangely enough can't find X5DC-SX011V (or even X5DC) on the Asus site but if this is the model:
    http://www.simplyasus.com/ASUS_X5DC-SX011V_1046801.html
    then graphics is GMA 4500. And I'm pretty sure all Intel GMAs are supported in Ubuntu. I recently installed Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) on a Thinkpad T400 which has Intel GMA 4500MHD and it worked fine without having to hunt for any drivers.

Are you sure there's nothing else going on? Or are you using a very old version of Ubuntu?

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Strangely enough can't find X5DC-SX011V (or even X5DC) on the Asus site but if this is the model:
    then graphics is GMA 4500. And I'm pretty sure all Intel GMAs are supported in Ubuntu. I recently installed Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) on a Thinkpad T400 which has Intel GMA 4500MHD and it worked fine without having to hunt for any drivers.

Are you sure there's nothing else going on? Or are you using a very old version of Ubuntu?
    Ah right. Any idea where I can get those drivers? I'm not sure what to choose on the intel download site as there are loads of different product names :/ Not sure if they even have an Ubuntu one there too. I think it is the laptop you linked yeh. I am also using the latest Ubuntu btw.

ZaO

Ah right. Any idea where I can get those drivers? I'm not sure what to choose on the intel download site as there are loads of different product names :/ Not sure if they even have an Ubuntu one there too. I think it is the laptop you linked yeh. I am also using the latest Ubuntu btw.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

NO that's what I meant: I just ran the default installer (Linux Mint but the hardware drivers should be the same with Ubuntu: think they're mostly in Linux's monolithic kernel). I did not install any drivers. Worked straight out of the box. That's what why I wondered about your problems. Intel GMA should be straight forward. Of course, 'Linux Mint mate' has none of those 3D Aero like UIs so the default driver only needs to do 2D stuff.

ZaO

NO that's what I meant: I just ran the default installer (Linux Mint but the hardware drivers should be the same with Ubuntu: think they're mostly in Linux's monolithic kernel). I did not install any drivers. Worked straight out of the box. That's what why I wondered about your problems. Intel GMA should be straight forward. Of course, 'Linux Mint mate' has none of those 3D Aero like UIs so the default driver only needs to do 2D stuff.
    Oh right, I see. Well Ubuntu just installed that vesa driver, or whatever it was called. Ran at a crappy res and the laptop was extremely slow to use. Not useable unless you're really, really desperate lol. I'm gonna give Ubuntu one more go in a minute and see if it can find some drivers. If not, then I will put W7 X64 back on it and see if it activates.

Will report back after. Cheers all

ZaO

Right guys. I found this page with legit links to downloads of Windows 7: http://www.mydigitallife.info/window...-home-premium/
    I remember getting my copy of W7 off that digital river website which is linked there. Nice to be able to find a proper version like that. Wasn't up for going the dodgey, random torrent route!

Anyway, I put Home premium x32 back on this laptop and it activated just fine. So it should be alright once I get all the drivers installed! It's a shame I couldn't get that Ubuntu driver sorted, but nevermind. At least my dad can have his laptop back tomorrow in working order

Thanks for all the help. Appreciated it all!

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Sorry I lost track of this one, performance . . . 1.2GHz Intel Celeron 220, you're not going to get great results out of that.
    All I've found so far is that the X5DC-SX011V is intel GMA X4500 (so G41 or G43 chipset) but the X5DC-SX025V used an SiS chipset so sounds like the win7 updater is getting confused and tring to install the SiS drivers which will mess up the graphics, which I'm not surprised by seeing as how asus only list the x5dc on their support page and that's only got the sis graphics drivers.

Here try this http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...eng&iid=dc_rss that should be the latest G41/G43 drivers

For Linux, I cannot help much there other than saying look for intel G41/G43 drivers

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Sorry I lost track of this one, performance . . . 1.2GHz Intel Celeron 220, you're not going to get great results out of that.
    All I've found so far is that the X5DC-SX011V is intel GMA X4500 (so G41 or G43 chipset) but the X5DC-SX025V used an SiS chipset so sounds like the win7 updater is getting confused and tring to install the SiS drivers which will mess up the graphics, which I'm not surprised by seeing as how asus only list the x5dc on their support page and that's only got the sis graphics drivers.

Here try this http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...eng&iid=dc_rss that should be the latest G41/G43 drivers

For Linux, I cannot help much there other than saying look for intel G41/G43 drivers
    Thanks man, appreciate your help The drivers from the Asus site are working ok. But I think the ones you linked might be newer so I'll give them a go also. I'll give up on running Ubuntu on it for now, but it's something I might come back to when my dad tells me his laptop is running slow again haha. Cheers all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information