Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Home Media Network, Full Install in New build home

Registered+
    Thanks

New Home Media Network, Full Install in New build home

Hi Guys, Im about to start on a wiring a friends home and hopefully future proof to some extent, I'm a complete novice so any help is appreciated, ill document the entire build with pics etc on here. I've asked Paul (the friend) to take the drawing of the planned layout and mark on using a simple key where he wants:-

1) HD Sky TV
    2) Ethernet ports (I guess there will be several of these as most things now come with the requirement, DVD and Blu-ray players, Sky Boxes etc)
    3) Telephone

Ive got a lot of great info from dave87 media thread but there are still a few grey areas in my mind...

Do I install the master sky unit in the Node 1 area under the stairs, this is a ventilated cupboard that will hold the router and switch gear etc (is that the right term)

I understand I have to use 2x Cat5e cables and Baluns boxes to get the HDMI signal down but...

Here is where i show my ignorance, for the internet i guess we use a standard fast incoming provider but what does the patch panel do for me, is it to permit me to supply ethernet to all the devices?

Why do i need Coax, what will come down this?.

Im re-reading dave87's thread so will be back with more questions shortly.

Thanks

Thanks
    • Preacher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock z77 Pro4m
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB GSkill 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500GB 840, 6TB of Seagate in JBOD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X660
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Two old ones from work
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb
    Sounds a complex build! Can't offer much in terms of advice other than to say that nowadays you can have a lot of equipment in your tv cabinet that would benefit from a wired connection. I use a switch in my cabinet to connect my TiVo, Xbox, media player, AirPlay receiver. They don't need the full gig bandwidth so might help with the wiring.

Can't wait to see some pics!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: New Home Media Network, Full Install in New build home

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Sky box in a cupboard.....I'd have it near the tv instead. Seems a lot of hasle and expense.....plus there is the remote issue (which I guess is what the coax may be for)

As for the patch panel......it allows you to manage your wiring to the switch(es) better. Ideally, you run a cable from a wall box to the patchpanel and label both ends. You can then use a small patch cable to connect that port to the switch. If it isn't needed anymore, you can re-patch it to another extension. I t isn't needed but used correctly can make changing something at a later date substantially easier.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

You might find this guide useful:

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalo...esignguide.pdf

Personally I'd go with cat6 UTP cable, as the the price difference with cat5e is relatively small.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

With modern MiMo WiFi access points (the 3 antenna ones) and 500Mbit/sec Homeplug AV adaptors I am surprised people wire up their homes any more.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    With modern MiMo WiFi access points (the 3 antenna ones) and 500Mbit/sec Homeplug AV adaptors I am surprised people wire up their homes any more.
    Given that it's a new build, it can make a lot of sense, depending on what you want to do. If you're trying to distribute multiple HD video streams, Homeplug 500 isn't going to cut it. You can also use Ethernet to distribute HDMI itself, telephone data, etc etc. It's also a case of future-proofing too; 4K video will take quite a bit of network bandwidth

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by escapizm View Post
    Do I install the master sky unit in the Node 1 area under the stairs, this is a ventilated cupboard that will hold the router and switch gear etc (is that the right term)
    I would say yes. One of the restrictions with extending HDMI on CAT5 (especially on HD) is distance, and if you are flood wiring the home then all of the cables will probably terminate at this node 1 area. This means the shortest run will from there to the television set. If you put the Skybox in one of the remote locations you would have to add together the distance from the skybox back to where node 1, then also that patch point to where ever the television is.

I understand I have to use 2x Cat5e cables and Baluns boxes to get the HDMI signal down but...
    Depends what extender you use. Be careful what you buy, some are very poor and will not work at all, others are excelent and will work flawlessly. You get is what you pay for, we have to do this at work at a lot and the ones we use are upwards of £500 each.

Why do i need Coax, what will come down this?.
    Coax would be for if you were distributing RF/IF signals around the home aswell. This would enable you to use the televisions built in tuners or have Digital tuner boxes local to a television. The easiest way to do this is to have the Coax from the arial and the Sat LNBs feeding to a single multiswitch then distribute coax throughout the home. The multiswitch will give the tuner the correct type of signal automatically.

If you are having everything strictly centralized, you wouldn't need this at all, however i would recommend putting some coax to key locations in the house, just not everywhere there is an RJ45.

Here is where i show my ignorance, for the internet i guess we use a standard fast incoming provider but what does the patch panel do for me, is it to permit me to supply ethernet to all the devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    As for the patch panel......it allows you to manage your wiring to the switch(es) better. Ideally, you run a cable from a wall box to the patchpanel and label both ends. You can then use a small patch cable to connect that port to the switch. If it isn't needed anymore, you can re-patch it to another extension. I t isn't needed but used correctly can make changing something at a later date substantially easier.
    This exactly, except when you are using patch panels for ethernet AND extending HDMI signals, it means you can use any RJ45 wall socket for ether ethernet or HDMI just by moving a short patch cable in your centralised cable termination point (which i assume is node 1).

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Sky box in a cupboard.....I'd have it near the tv instead. Seems a lot of hasle and expense.....plus there is the remote issue (which I guess is what the coax may be for)
    Actually there are extenders that will also extend the IR signal. They give you a little transmitter you stick onto the IR receiver on the box and give you a little IR receiver to go inline near your TV.

We are getting into expensive products though!

Whilst good, its still not as good as a point to point Ethernet connection, and if you have the opportunity to floodwire the home then its worth it every step of the way!

Best recommendation i can give to help you visualize it is open power point, or openoffice draw, or any other vector based drawing software and plan out a basic schematic which includes all the areas, the equipment inside them and what connectivity they require. This will help you visualize the true requirements .
    Last edited by Biscuit; 14-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobgod1969 View Post
    Given that it's a new build, it can make a lot of sense, depending on what you want to do. If you're trying to distribute multiple HD video streams, Homeplug 500 isn't going to cut it. You can also use Ethernet to distribute HDMI itself, telephone data, etc etc. It's also a case of future-proofing too; 4K video will take quite a bit of network bandwidth
    Still not convinced

I had some ethernet cable between rooms in my last house. It did me very well, but was 100Mbit Cat 5 (at the time 5e was new and waaay too costly) so my Homeplug is actually slightly faster than the wiring in my old house. For the future, 10Gbit ethernet is in no way compatible with the older standards.

So whilst in the old house I had an ethernet jack in the wall behind the tv that fed into a switch for the tv and consoles, now in the new house I have a homeplug feeding the same switch.

Increasingly content is now consumed by phone or tablet in our house, so no cable involved.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Still not convinced

I had some ethernet cable between rooms in my last house. It did me very well, but was 100Mbit Cat 5 (at the time 5e was new and waaay too costly) so my Homeplug is actually slightly faster than the wiring in my old house. For the future, 10Gbit ethernet is in no way compatible with the older standards.

So whilst in the old house I had an ethernet jack in the wall behind the tv that fed into a switch for the tv and consoles, now in the new house I have a homeplug feeding the same switch.

Increasingly content is now consumed by phone or tablet in our house, so no cable involved.
    I dont know what the deal is with homeplug, but my problem with wireless is that the bandwidth is shared. So you might have a 300Mb (which it will actually be nowhere near to start off with) wireless switch, but per device if they are all using at the same time its divided up. Transferring files too and from a NAS using wireless is so bloody painful. Even 100Mb ethernet is streets ahead of wireless in this regards. I haven't tried any of the new ac draft routers yet though.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Homeplug AV seems to be better turn around time than WiFi, but otherwise yes it is multi drop. Going via the fuse box in the old house I got 80Mb worst case in real world throughput, talking to a plug on the same mains ring gets me more like 200Mb. Older homeplug standards wouldn't have worked for me I'm sure.

Similarly with WiFi, I have been through useless routers that were b and g standard, and with a pair of wireless-g access points at opposite ends of the house I still had black spots all over the place. A single MiMo n access point now talks to me anywhere in the house and from looking at my phone to about 5 houses down the street.

These technologies are getting better, without having to pull new cables at each generation.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

See the thing is, in our flat, surrounded by loads of other flats all with Wireless routers (mostly homehubs), we have tried 4 different routers now of varying costs (up to about £70) and technologies, in all kinds of different positions and on different frequencies and we cant get a single one that covers the entire flat without blackspots. Its not even a big flat, there is just too much interference and the walls are quite thick.

Homeplug seems to be wiring dependant, you get better performance the better the wiring is, for some people it just doesn't work at all.

If you have the opportunity to put in ethernet cable and you do it properly, it will work and give you the best possible performance (within reason obviously) and short of some serious electronic inductance or someone physically cutting it, its extremely stable.

Thanks
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

For the future, 10Gbit ethernet is in no way compatible with the older standards..
    10Gbit ethernet works over Cat6. Just not for 100 meters. It does however work up to 40 meters. If you need more than 40 meters of 10 Gbit rated transmission in your home, you can afford cat6a
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by badass View Post
    10Gbit ethernet works over Cat6. Just not for 100 meters. It does however work up to 40 meters. If you need more than 40 meters of 10 Gbit rated transmission in your home, you can afford cat6a
    Well that's handy, I thought 6a was mandatory.

Yeah 40m should be enough. Otherwise, you probably pulled fibre anyway

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20
    I thought you needed 6a/7 aswell actually. Have you actually tested it?
    With the rising price of copper and the falling price of fibre I wouldn't be surprised if most places stuck fibre in regardless

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Wikipedia backs it up, so it must be true

Looks like 6a the approved cable though. I'm sure we've all lobbed gigabit down a short length of old cat 5 to get us through the day. Maybe just me then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Only come across 10GbE setups at work, people who can afford enough storage to need it can usually afford the right cables

Registered+
    Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information