Thread: Vapochill LS with a Intel or a A64?!?!

Thanks

Talking Vapochill LS with a Intel or a A64?!?!

Hi guys.

So far i am pretty happy with my A64 @ 2.48 "stock air". But i want á Vapochill again. So i sold the PC and will get a new one. I just need some help. Which one ? Intel or AMD

Vapochill LS
    Lian Li PC60
    DFI Lanparty Ultra 250 (NForce 3 Ultra)
    1024MB DC-Kit OCZ 3500EB
    A64 3000+
    Video..HDD..etc.

or

Vapochill LS
    Lian Li PC60
    Abit IC7-G or Asus
    1024MB A-Data DDR500
    P4 3.0C or 3.2C
    Video..HDD..etc.

Asuming i get at least 2.8 from the A64, and at least 4.0 from the Intel.
    Which would you choose. I love Mutitasking, a bit encoding and gaming.

Opinions please

Thanks
    The A64 will be faster in games and 3D benches, but not by that much. You should try to find a ClawHammer if you want to go socket 754. A Clawhammer (1MB cache) would beat the pants off the P4, but the Newcastle 3000 will not be much faster.

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tillyoubreakit
    Opinions please
    Intel Prescott. Wouldn't normally recommend, due to the high cooling requirements. But what the hell, you're going for gold, so get a 3.2/3.4 Prescott and jump into the 4-5GHz range. You know you want to. :-)

Besides, A64 is boring - everyone's got one! (Except me. ) :-)

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks
    Well thats the thing. I always wanted to crack the stupid 4GHz barrier. But my old 2.6C only went to 3.9 in the old Vapochill PE.

Is a 2.8GHz A64 really in the "majority" of games faster than a 4.0 or 4.2GHz P4. The new P4s have 1 MB cache too. And the Intel is faster in "content creation",Adobe, Multitasking and encoding.

So if the difference is not a real killer i would choose a 4.2GHz or higher P4. And the Prescotts scale better on higher speeds.

I dont consider the 64bit part, as it will be a long time till we actually see a good reason to switch (games, non-BETA OS, Apps),,,and by that time ill have a new PC anyways. They dont last long with me.

And i dont care for DDR2 or PCI-E, so i would go with a Socket 478.

Cheers

PS: Doom3 is the biggest overrated game. I played 4 levels and then deleted it.
    Last edited by tillyoubreakit; 18-09-2004 at 03:13 PM.

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tillyoubreakit
    Well thats the thing. I always wanted to crack the stupid 4GHz barrier. But my old 2.6C only went to 3.9 in the old Vapochill PE.

Is a 2.8GHz A64 really in the "majority" of games faster than a 4.0 or 4.2GHz P4. The new P4s have 1 MB cache too. And the Intel is faster in "content creation",Adobe, Multitasking and encoding.

So if the difference is not a real killer i would choose a 4.2GHz or higher P4. And the Prescotts scale better on higher speeds.

I dont consider the 64bit part, as it will be a long time till we actually see a good reason to switch (games, non-BETA OS, Apps),,,and by that time ill have a new PC anyways. They dont last long with me.

And i dont care for DDR2 or PCI-E, so i would go with a Socket 478.

Cheers

PS: Doom3 is the biggest overrated game. I played 4 levels and then deleted it.

Couldn't agree more. By the time you fire a game up at a decent res. with all the eye-candy switched on, the graphics card is going to be the major bottleneck - at least it is for the spec. of CPU we are talking about here.

I've a Northwood P4@3.6 (mild overclock, as it's a 3.2) on quiet air cooling, but I'm sure it would hit 4GHz+ with better cooling. It's just not worth it for me, as the damn thing's more than fast enough (and I use my PC all day for work, so don't want to take any more risks than I have to.)

I agree with your comments on PCi and DDR2.

Isn't an A64 going to be limited by the mobo for such an insane cooling system as yours? Everything I read tends to suggest the A64 mobo's rather than the CPU tend to be the block on overclocking A64's to the max. No point VP'ing a processor/mobo that just won't go that far with it... Or maybe I'm just out-of-touch; I've never owned an A64.

Having said all the above, I think the whole phase-change cooling is a bit of a waste of money these days for the slight performance advantage it brings. I'd much rather spend the dosh on a better graphics card or (loose) women. :-)

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks
    Hehe well the idea about the loose women is pretty good. The Phase change actually brings a lot more than a slight advantage ;-) Someone at Vapochill.com hit 5.2 with a 3.0 in a LS. And you cant get 4GHz stably without some cooling like that. Most hit a wall at 3.6 or 3.8 with water. Its a crazy toy, and ofcourse not for the "normal". But it can take your CPU regardless of heat to the max. :-)

I am tending more to the Intel now.

Thread Information