Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 22

Thread: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    794
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    35 times in 27 posts
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

    Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Which consumes less power in the course off a year. Turning on & off vs sleep mode?

  2. #2
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,337
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked
    1,585 times in 1,261 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    I don't know how pronounced the difference is: it might be so extreme that the answer is a definite.

    However, the frequency with which you turn on and off would be fairly instrumental. If you only turn it on once a year, sleep mode is unlikely to be all that efficient. Multiple times per day, it probably becomes more useful.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,151
    Thanks
    1,507
    Thanked
    2,924 times in 2,370 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by rob4001 View Post
    Which consumes less power in the course off a year. Turning on & off vs sleep mode?
    If you're comparing on & off vs on & sleep then the former consumes less power, obviously. But if your computer takes so long to boot that you're having to leave it on more than you would otherwise then it's less clear cut.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,401
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    151 times in 145 posts
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • 4670K
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    SSDs will save the planet!

    Can I have a bigger car now?

  5. #5
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,845
    Thanks
    1,500
    Thanked
    934 times in 804 posts

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Modern sleep states use barely more power than full off, in some cases I've measured the difference as less than a Watt. But as above, it really depends on your usage of the system.

    Personally I shut down, as Windows on an SSD takes a few seconds to boot, and Windows can start to behave strangely if its not shut down once in a while, although that's probably improved since the XP days where I used to use hibernation a lot.

  6. #6
    Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanks
    630
    Thanked
    965 times in 816 posts
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    There is more to think about here as well. You have on, sleep, hibernate, PC off and off at the wall.

    That would generally be a list in order of energy usage. I wouldn't be surprised if there is little difference between sleep, hibernate and PC off on many modern systems. But you may well see quite a difference if you actually flip the wall switch. An ATX PSU/system can suck quite a lot of power when the PC is off. Good example, my Spider Elite is always on, even when my system is off, which means USB is still being powered all the time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,845
    Thanks
    1,500
    Thanked
    934 times in 804 posts

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Yeah and it can vary a fair bit between systems. Older systems tend to keep some parts of the motherboard and USB devices powered with the 5vsb rail, even when the system is 'off'. However, I've noticed newer systems tend to go into a deeper 'off' state after a few seconds, lowering power consumption further and powering down USB devices, dependant on BIOS settings (features like on/off USB charging may bypass the lower power modes).

    For example, my Llano system draws roughly 3W AC when in sleep mode and for a short while after shutting down. After a few seconds of being shut down though, my power meter flicks between 0 and 1W (obviously it's not going to actually be zero, but the meter doesn't have enough resolution to show decimals).

  8. #8
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,337
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked
    1,585 times in 1,261 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Modern sleep states use barely more power than full off, in some cases I've measured the difference as less than a Watt. But as above, it really depends on your usage of the system.

    Personally I shut down, as Windows on an SSD takes a few seconds to boot, and Windows can start to behave strangely if its not shut down once in a while, although that's probably improved since the XP days where I used to use hibernation a lot.
    Mine stays on almost permanently, and I've never noticed any problems. Mind you, I don't use sleep either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    There is more to think about here as well. You have on, sleep, hibernate, PC off and off at the wall.

    That would generally be a list in order of energy usage. I wouldn't be surprised if there is little difference between sleep, hibernate and PC off on many modern systems. But you may well see quite a difference if you actually flip the wall switch. An ATX PSU/system can suck quite a lot of power when the PC is off. Good example, my Spider Elite is always on, even when my system is off, which means USB is still being powered all the time.
    Presumably though, you are more likely to drain the mobo battery. Not that it's a bit deal in the great scheme of things, changing one battery every few years vs. spending money on constant electrical current.

  9. #9
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    This might be a good time to advocate the acquisition of power meters. There was a thread a year or two back, started by Zak IIRC, and it was interesting.

    Rob, the only way to be reasonably sure which mode uses what is to meter it on your PC.

    I have a plug-through meter that can tell me what any particular device (that's plugged in via it, obviously) is using at any given time, but I also gave a meter permanently on the house mains (a sensor round the output side of the mains meter) and a radio sensor giving me a constant readout of household usage. Watching what items use what power has chanfed my usage habits a fair bit. Some devices use a watt or two in standby, and others use almost as much in standby as they do fully powered up.

    Those meters will give you a "right now" reading, or a cumulative reading. So, zero the totals on the plug-thtough meter, contact your PC via it, leave it running in sleep mode overnight for a given time period, and note the cumulative power used.

    The next night, repeat the exercise but with the PC "off".

    Then compare readings.

    Oh, and the plug-through meter cost me about £8 or £9, and the main household RF meter was more like £40. They've paid for themselves over the course of a couple of years by telling me what to keep turned off, and what to not worry about .... and what devices to target for replacement first. One old freezer bit the dust, as I didn't really need it and it was sucking down about 200w, 24 hours a day.

  10. #10
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,151
    Thanks
    1,507
    Thanked
    2,924 times in 2,370 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Presumably though, you are more likely to drain the mobo battery.
    Isn't drain on the battery the same regardless? (ie the battery powered bits are always battery powered)

  11. #11
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,337
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked
    1,585 times in 1,261 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Isn't drain on the battery the same regardless? (ie the battery powered bits are always battery powered)
    I've always thought that they drew power from the socket where possible, but I've no idea why. Could be wrong.

  12. #12
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,845
    Thanks
    1,500
    Thanked
    934 times in 804 posts

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    I'd take into account the precision of meters even when you're measuring over time; the internal resolution might be higher than the displayed one but you might be measuring to the nearest Watt, provided it's still accurate down in the low single digits.

    I think I've mentioned it before, but those clamp-on whole-house meters can be incredibly inaccurate, especially for lower PF loads, generally reading far too high.

  13. #13
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I'd take into account the precision of meters even when you're measuring over time; the internal resolution might be higher than the displayed one but you might be measuring to the nearest Watt, provided it's still accurate down in the low single digits.

    I think I've mentioned it before, but those clamp-on whole-house meters can be incredibly inaccurate, especially for lower PF loads, generally reading far too high.
    Oh, absolutely.

    I wouldn't take them as overly accurate, and an electrical engineeer friend tested mine with some kind on bench PSU and a dummy load and told me "plus or minus about 2%".

    I also take the point about dubious linearity, especially at very low levels.

    But .... the comparison between readings on two devices can be illuminating.

    If one says 3w but is actually 2w or 5w, it's not really the point if the other device reads 30w.
    Or, if it's one device in two different states. In other words, I don't trust the absolute reading to be hugely accurate, especially at low levels, but the relative readings is infornative.

    For reference, though, if I have a 'standard' load if about 250w, and I turn on two 60w incandescent light bulbs, the reading immediately switches to about 360w, I.e. a 110w increase from a nominal 120w increase in load. One issue is that the meter currently assumes a stable 240v. Hmmmm.


    Edit - oh, and a dimmer switch in-circuit, set to zero dimming, with that light bulb test, but presumably, still involving a small loss.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,401
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    151 times in 145 posts
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • 4670K
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Oh, and the plug-through meter cost me about £8 or £9, and the main household RF meter was more like £40. They've paid for themselves over the course of a couple of years by telling me what to keep turned off, and what to not worry about .... and what devices to target for replacement first. One old freezer bit the dust, as I didn't really need it and it was sucking down about 200w, 24 hours a day.
    Do you have links for these devices? I have had a look myself, but can't seem to find what I am looking for :/

  15. #15
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,151
    Thanks
    1,507
    Thanked
    2,924 times in 2,370 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I've always thought that they drew power from the socket where possible, but I've no idea why. Could be wrong.
    Or could be right It's only powering the CMOS chip which is basically a clock + some memory with BIOS settings so I assumed it wasn't worth the expense of control logic/power transforming down to 3V when a cheap battery will last the market lifetime of the computer, but then Occam's razor isn't always accurate

  16. #16
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,151
    Thanks
    1,507
    Thanked
    2,924 times in 2,370 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Turning off vs Sleep mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    Do you have links for these devices? I have had a look myself, but can't seem to find what I am looking for :/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-EN...ef=pd_cp_diy_0

    No recommendation for that particular product - was just result of a quick search. 'wall plug energy monitor' should do.

  17. Received thanks from:

    Willzzz (01-05-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •