Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akasa Paxmate....?

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks

Akasa Paxmate....?

Is it really wourth it ?

ive read many a review on the stuff to only really discover two things...

1, It apparantly smells
    2, It really does help with high pitch noise..

just wondering if anyone actully uses the stuff, if so would you recomend it ?

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Yes it does, When i had my amd 2000xp and a coolermaster radiator fan system it drove me mad, the paxmate on the internals of the system got rid of some of the crappy noise. It was in a scorpio case so it worth it to line the inside.

I'd definitely recommend it.

TiG

Thanks
    I am pretty sure that it will help if you have any high pitched fans, it should also help combat vibrations, as it is some sort of rubber/foam material i guess it would smell a bit, i expect that would only be a temporary thing though. The only problems are that things are likely to get hotter inside you case because it is basically insulation and it will not quieten down low pitched fans... basically I would buy some quieter fans instead of this stuff, oh also it is hell to get out of your case, very sticky, at least the stuff that a friend of mine used...

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I loved the smell of it by the way, Tho i love the smell of petrol and alcohol based markers.

TiG

Thanks
    heh, i think i'll get my case 1st and see how that effects the noise levels

Currently running an open box to keep temps down

and tig.... put the marker down...slowly

cs nub
    Thanks
    yes it does work but it does ming to high heaven to start of with but over time it fades and u dont notice it asmuch

Thanks
    I could never take mine out now, the computer would just drive me mad. It gets rid of all the extreme sounds and it does smell but that goes away after a couple of weeks.

It does make your computer hotter though and will increase your temps by quite abit if your air flows in your case are poor.

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TiG
    I loved the smell of it by the way, Tho i love the smell of petrol and alcohol based markers.

TiG
    Petrol reeks and so does the paxmate, but it makes the case look good and does cut out some vibration/high pitched noise.

The amount of times ive been stumbling round the lab after sticking my nose in the alcohol or isopropyl though... heh

Ive bought some MASSIVE bits of foam from MDK on BiT though gonna finish the rest of my case tonite.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    Certainly helps with the noise, but if you've got a small case watch the temps.....

Thanks
    Originally posted by Bindibadgi
    Petrol reeks and so does the paxmate, but it makes the case look good and does cut out some vibration/high pitched noise.

The amount of times ive been stumbling round the lab after sticking my nose in the alcohol or isopropyl though... heh

Ive bought some MASSIVE bits of foam from MDK on BiT though gonna finish the rest of my case tonite.
    Ahahaha some mug actually bought that off him?! anyway, you could always just do what i do, turn the music up louder than the pc I can sleep through pretty much anything though (usually fall asleep while listening to music on headphones) so noise doesn't bother me as long as it isn't high pitched or whiney, I just put decent quality fans in my system and it just sounds like a nice "wooosh" of air.

Thanks
    I got some stuff from Germany that doesn't smell (Paxmate reeks! )

http://www.noiseblocker.de/

Same kind of thing = foam with thin aluminium backing. VERY GOOD stuff too

I gained a degree in case temps but the noise drop was worth it.

Really nice kit bar the bit near the PCI slots, it's a little TOO close to the slots!

They ship euro as well
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Thanks
    I have the Paxmate and they do make a big difference with high piched fans but not low pitched ones

it does smell, so i just left it for a week to get rid of the smell

the cooler master one is also suppost to be good, but the noise blocker stuff is the best, as its the thickest, which you will pay for as your system will ge hotter, if yuou dont have lots of case fans (e.g 1 intake 2 exaust)

HTH

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    i think it's worth taking a look at some foam (eg from b&q for quite cheap) or out of packaging, and using that, as that's made my pc quieter, also you could get a gfx card without a fan on, a motherboard northbridge heatsink (if your has a fan on), a quieter PSU, and a quieter CPU heatsink... rather than trying to muffle the sound, why not deal with the real root of the problem?

well that's my approach anyway, and then any left over sound you can make quieter with foam padding etc.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/ has a load of guides to different things you can do.

you could try and identify the loudest thing in your pc and try and make that quieter...

Josh

Thanks
    prolly the worst is the HDD's and northbridge tbh......
    mind you might just be needing to clean the n/b

thank god for the setting to turn drives off

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by LoopyJuice
    Ahahaha some mug actually bought that off him?! anyway, you could always just do what i do, turn the music up louder than the pc I can sleep through pretty much anything though (usually fall asleep while listening to music on headphones) so noise doesn't bother me as long as it isn't high pitched or whiney, I just put decent quality fans in my system and it just sounds like a nice "wooosh" of air.
    i have sensitive hearing so less noise = better imo. I cant sleep thru much
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    I work as a telecom engineer, our network cards come packed in pink anti static foam that is flat on one side and dimpled (like egg box on the other) and about 20mm thick. It normally gets lobbed in the bin, so I liberated a load and lined me case with it. Wow what a difference.

It does look a bit gay (No I am not!) But not many peeps get to see the inside of me case!
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thread Information