Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Upgrade time, should I wait?

  1. #1
    chown -R me ./base BlackDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On Teh Internets
    Posts
    1,431
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    33 times in 29 posts
    • BlackDwarf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Samsung 850 EVO, 60Gb Crucial M4 & 2TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 540 Air
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 24" Dell U2314H
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fiber 80Mb/20Mb

    Upgrade time, should I wait?

    Hi all.

    New job and some money coming in, and it's about time I upgrade my slightly ageing Q9550 setup.
    Been looking at the i5 3570k, new mobo and RAM, but obviously the new range of 4570k's is coming soon.
    How much do you think prices of the 3570 will drop once the 4xxx range comes out?
    What performance gain is the new range going to give over an overclocked 3570k? (was aiming at around 4.5 with a H80 or similar.
    The new Z87 motherboards do look nice though.

    Advice would be great, I've sort of been out of the loop.
    Diablo (Main PC): Corsair Air 540; Gigabyte Z77-D3H; i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12000; 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO; EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid; 2x Dell U2414H; Windows 10 x64.
    Imperius (VM Server): 2x Intel 5640, 64Gb RAM, 2x1Tb, 6x Intel NIC, VMware ESX 5.5
    Tyrael (File Server): Synology DS410 w/ 4x HD154UI; 2Gb RAM; DSM 5.2

  2. #2
    Raging Bull DeludedGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,594
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked
    76 times in 55 posts
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    I'm pretty much in the same boat....already have an SSD and new case but I've been waiting for the new stuff to come out...I don't want to wait much longer though...

  3. #3
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,225
    Thanks
    1,526
    Thanked
    2,944 times in 2,385 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    Price drops will tend to occur more in the retail whole system market rather than enthusiast system component suppliers. Places like Scan will have already lowered the 3570k and are more likely to have to charge more for the new chips rather than cut the price of the older ones, for a little while at least.

    If you don't mind paying the early adopter premium, then you could wait for reviews to assess the performance/efficiency improvements of the new chip, but if you're after a bargain then you'll have to wait not only for their release, but for the early adopter premium to go away as well.

  4. #4
    I'm Very Important
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,737
    Thanks
    307
    Thanked
    309 times in 277 posts
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    I would lay off a while if it was me. No idea on the prices of the new parts. Maybe be able to pick up some bargains on IBs from the haswell early adopters.

    On 1155 there was huge discounts on 1155 boards if irc; maybe there will be the same for the new chipset.

    Thought: Try and go for a price gouge on your 9550 (if its worth anything) and pick up a cheap cpu for the mean time.

  5. #5
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    I would probably wait for Haswell myself,although you do need to consider how much further the secondhand prices of your exisiting parts will drop.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • unholy_war's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB kingston hyper X
      • Storage:
      • Sh!t Loads
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860i
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom Full (Green and Black)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 Asus- 1 1440p, 1080p

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    i would wait and see what the prices of the new stuff, when i comes out

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    Based on the price drops of sandy bridge motherboards and cpus when ivybridge came out I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for price drops. An i5 2500k even today costs almost as much as the 3570k

  8. #8
    chown -R me ./base BlackDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On Teh Internets
    Posts
    1,431
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    33 times in 29 posts
    • BlackDwarf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Samsung 850 EVO, 60Gb Crucial M4 & 2TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 540 Air
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 24" Dell U2314H
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fiber 80Mb/20Mb

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    Yeah, I gave in and went for a 3570k. In time I'd like to upgrade my mobo to something a little more robust, and get another 8Gb RAM, but the performance improvement I've seen already is astounding. I'm also waiting for maybe a 760Ti.
    I guess my graphics card was only running at PCI-E 2 rather than 3, and I only had 3Gb SATA. Not only have my settings in all games been boosted to mostly max, fps is 60+ on everything I've tried so far.

    Very happy. What is likely to be the extra money for 4xxx I don't believe to be a big enough performance boost over 3xxx.
    Diablo (Main PC): Corsair Air 540; Gigabyte Z77-D3H; i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12000; 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO; EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid; 2x Dell U2414H; Windows 10 x64.
    Imperius (VM Server): 2x Intel 5640, 64Gb RAM, 2x1Tb, 6x Intel NIC, VMware ESX 5.5
    Tyrael (File Server): Synology DS410 w/ 4x HD154UI; 2Gb RAM; DSM 5.2

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Upgrade time, should I wait?

    I would wait to see how expensive haswell is when it comes out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •