Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 19

Thread: HDD Speed

  1. #1
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

    HDD Speed

    Right i have a shuttle SN45G V2.

    I have a Samsung SpinPoint p80 160gb ata133 hdd connected to ide1

    A 250gb WD : SE ata100 hdd connected to ide2 has master, and i have a LiteOn DVD/CD-RW Combi Drive has slave.

    I have installed the nvidia ide drivers and i not had any stablity problems how ever.

    Why does the samsung show up has ata100 when it should be ata133 iirc.

    Also i did the speed test thing you can do threw the ide driver properties and the samsung has burst rate of 75mb/s with sustained of 55mb/s.

    The wd has a burst rate of 60mb/s with a sustained of 58mb/s is this right ?

    Apex



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    768
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    17 times in 14 posts
    I also have a shuttle SN45G and i have a Maxtor 60gig 7,200 ATA 133 in it and i get 40mbps using the speed test so i would say your results are about right.

    Where does your drive say its running at ATA100 and not ATA133?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Posts
    385
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gamesaregood
    ...using the speed test so i would say your results are about right.
    I'd second that. If you've the right drivers installed and the correct cable (80 pin) and it's in the right way round (check mobo manual) then you should be OK. The speeds you quote seem on-the-money for a 133 IDE. Still, hunt around for a few benchmarks on a similar rig to yours just to check, and maybe run up a few other tools like Sandra (as that's how I tracked down poor performance with my initial IDE set-up, which turned out to be the cable being in the wrong way round: blue end needed to be towards mobo.)

    Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member da.Guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    609
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    On a similar note (sorry to hi-jack the thread), which is faster - ATA133 or Ultra ATA100?

    I'm looking at getting a new HD, about 160Gb, and almost all of them run at ATA100, whilst my 2 year old 120Gb Deskstar runs at ATA133.....wtf is up with that? Will I still be able to run them both on the same cable or would that slow one of them down?

    Also, am I right in thinking that you can't run SATA at the same time as IDE?

  5. #5
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by gamesaregood
    I also have a shuttle SN45G and i have a Maxtor 60gig 7,200 ATA 133 in it and i get 40mbps using the speed test so i would say your results are about right.

    Where does your drive say its running at ATA100 and not ATA133?
    Last edited by Apex; 26-04-2008 at 08:09 PM.



  6. #6
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by da.Guvna
    On a similar note (sorry to hi-jack the thread), which is faster - ATA133 or Ultra ATA100?

    I'm looking at getting a new HD, about 160Gb, and almost all of them run at ATA100, whilst my 2 year old 120Gb Deskstar runs at ATA133.....wtf is up with that? Will I still be able to run them both on the same cable or would that slow one of them down?

    Also, am I right in thinking that you can't run SATA at the same time as IDE?
    You can run sata at the same time has pata.

    has for why they run at at100 and not ata133 dunno tbh, your not going to notice the speed difference imho.



  7. #7
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadd
    I'd second that. If you've the right drivers installed and the correct cable (80 pin) and it's in the right way round (check mobo manual) then you should be OK. The speeds you quote seem on-the-money for a 133 IDE. Still, hunt around for a few benchmarks on a similar rig to yours just to check, and maybe run up a few other tools like Sandra (as that's how I tracked down poor performance with my initial IDE set-up, which turned out to be the cable being in the wrong way round: blue end needed to be towards mobo.)

    Nomadd
    Cables are the ones supplied with the shuttle so they are ata 33/66/110/133



  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I'm pretty sure anything attached to the cable will run at the same speed as the slowest drive.
    Main Rig: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 165@2.65Ghz | 2GB TwinMoss DDR PC3200 | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2*500GB Seagate 7200.10 | Antec P182 case
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B | Sempron 2200+ | 1GB NANYA DDR PC3200 | ATi Radeon 9600 128MB | 2*320GB Seagate 7200.8
    HTPC: Abit Abit AN-M2HD | Athlon X2 BE-2400 | 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT | Antec Fusion Black HTPC Case


    Furton.NET Coming soon!

  9. #9
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    even when the at133 drive is on it's own.......



  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Posts
    385
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex
    Cables are the ones supplied with the shuttle so they are ata 33/66/110/133
    Yep, but as I said, make sure the blue connector is in at the right end. The cable will go in, and will work, either way round. It's just you'll only get full 133 performance if it's in the right way round. In your case, from the speeds you quoted, I think it is in the right way round.

    Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

  11. #11
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Checked and it only goes one way in m8.



  12. #12
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    what i want to know is why that even when the bios supports ata133, the hdd is ata133 and the cable is ata 133 does it show has ata100 in windows ?



  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Guernsey, channel rocks
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Samsung drives are ATA100, that's it, nothing complicated about what's going on there. Only Maxtor drives I have seen run at ATA133, and apparently the spec for ATA133 isn't even properly achieved with Maxtor's, so they're kinda pseudo-133. It doesn't make a difference at the end of the day.

  14. #14
    pre
    pre is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Might it just be the driver name? Have you ran any disk benchmarks with BIOS set to ATA133 and ATA100?

    That said in practical use the benefit is probably only a couple of mb/s if at all noticable in a bench.

  15. #15
    Monkey Apex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked
    173 times in 108 posts
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 6.0 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 480X
      • PSU:
      • 750
      • Case:
      • Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24"
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftpuNk
    Samsung drives are ATA100, that's it, nothing complicated about what's going on there. Only Maxtor drives I have seen run at ATA133, and apparently the spec for ATA133 isn't even properly achieved with Maxtor's, so they're kinda pseudo-133. It doesn't make a difference at the end of the day.

    There ata 133 hdds m8 it's what is listed on samsungs own site



  16. #16
    Senior Member Kezzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,863
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    The site must be wrong then. I've got a Samsung Spinpoint as has DaftpuNk. They run at ATA100 and if you're using both drives on the same IDE channel then it'll operate at the speed of the slowest one iirc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. When is a speed camera not a speed camera?
    By DR in forum Automotive
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 17-10-2006, 05:28 PM
  2. vx1 hdd prob.... :Oops:
    By cm_uk in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-07-2004, 04:48 PM
  3. Kill your speed, cut your premium?
    By XTR in forum Automotive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 02:21 AM
  4. Laptop HDD troubles
    By Trash Man in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-10-2003, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •