Thread: IDEQ 200P Temps???

Registered+
    Thanks

IDEQ 200P Temps???

Hi there, I've had my Biostar IDEQ-200P for a few months now but ever since I got it i've never known what temps it's running at for sure....

The specs can be seen in my sig & I don't overclock the CPU at all, but speedfan & MBM both report my CPU Idle temp to be 55-60 and when i'm running SETI they report 80 degrees.... but i have never had any stability problems... so do you think these are accurate? I obviously can't test load temps in the BIOS but i sat in the PCHealth section for a while earlier and the system temp sat at 50 degrees, CPU @ 60 degrees...

I think i might have to pull it apart and check the contact between the HS & the CPU cuz this just seems wrong, or am i missing something about temp reporting on this rig?

Registered+
    Thanks
    As an update - i reseated the heatsink and fan twice last night, once to make sure i followed the arctic silver 5 application guide to the letter (and then i swapped the fan round so it sucked instead of blew, just to see if it made a diference) and my temps in the BIOS registered as 55 idle (within minutes of a cold boot) and then 80 under load of SETI...

So i swapped the HSF back round to how it was before (with the new application of AS5) and temps dropped slightly (52 in the BIOS idle and about 75 under load of Prime95's Max Heat test)

However, i'm not sure thist can be right... i know i'm running two hard disks & a 9800 Pro in there (not much air flow) but it runs 100% stable and ran Emule with Prime95 max heat test for 8.5 hours last night without a single error or anything. I know i can game for hours on end without problem too - just i hoped to overclock and i cant really without temp readings...

any ideas? anyone? i've got the latest BIOS too - 0713 from 2nd August as found here - http://www.biostar.com.tw/supp...php3?model=iDEQ%20200P

EDIT: I also just tried taking the sides of the case off to see what'd happen.... in windows speedfan reported a drop in idle & load temps by about 5 degrees.... so the thermal probe MUST be measuring differences in temperature, is it possible it's just calibrated incorrectly??

EDIT 2: I'm just making sure I have the latest unified drivers from the nVidia site (version 5.10 was out only a week or so ago so ill install them) but i don't think it's going to make all this much difference.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH AN IDEQ-200P CAN TELL ME YOUR SPECS & TEMPS PLEASE? AND HOW YOU MEASURED THEM?

EDIT 3: heh, yet another edit. I've just been running the box with the sides off & a desktop fan blowing into it. I KNOW there's a good interface between CPU & heatsink, and the heatsink feels physically cold at the moment (CPU is idle) but speedfan still reports a temp of 50 degrees.... ALSO the crappy "System Control" software that actually comes with this motherboard to "control the fan speeds depending on CPU temp" is running but that says my CPU temp is 29!?!? I mean, that's really low, but that's how warm it ACTUALLY FEELS when i touch the heatsink / feel the air coming out of it. But alas, i cannot touch the core itself to see what's going on..... Also, utterly randomly, whilst reporting a CPU temp of 29, it has (JUST now) started randomly popping up "Protection Enabled - your CPU temp is too high" and then proceeds to LOWER my fan speeds by a huge amount..... I mean, WTF?

Someone's gotta have an idea what's going on?
    Last edited by sagramore; 30-09-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well, even though I have no idea whether anyone is looking here or cares ( ) I'll update you all

I took a trip to maplin earlier & bought myself an LCD temperature module & some temp probes - after about 2 hours of cutting, soldering, more cutting & resoldering then bodging together with cellotape - i had made myself a functioning temperature probe with a range of -20 to +70 degrees C & a very very small probe on the end of it.

Next, with a little bit of luck - my mobo seemed to be designed very nicely to allow me to stick the probe so it was touching the edge of the heatspreader on my CPU with a little layer of AS5 between them.

Now all I have to do is worry about the little bit of cellotape I used to stick the thing down... hopefully it was too small for any static effects to be a problem (it was small.... but it was also on the mobo....)

Boot up and low & behold, t00t! i'm measuring about 39 degrees idle & 48-49 with Prime95's large FFT test going (the max heat/power one) and the response time on the probe is pretty fast so i'd guess it was fairly accurate (i checked it measured about body temp when i held it tightly in the palm of my hand as well)

Looks like speedfan/MBM and even my BIOS are all reading the temps wrongly because there's no way I can be running @ 80 degrees for 10 hours with 100% stability surely!!

Thread Information