Thread: How control my PWM fans ?

Thanks

How control my PWM fans ?

Hi guys

So yesterday I got 2x Notua's NF-A14 PWM. It's the first time I have PWM fans and I can get them to work like I want.

I tried to configure them with the MB Q-fan controller but it doesn't offer the flexibility that i want ( minimum rpm to high, and with medium temps to much rpm ) .
    I've just installed SpeedFan but it doesn't even detect any fan in my system at all, even after I tuned off Q-fan control in the BIOS.

What do you guys think it's the best way to control case fans ?

My system: Asus Maximus Hero VI / 4670k / Corsair TX650V2 / GTX770DC2

Cheers Everyone

Thanks
    • Toobad's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 240GB + 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD 7750 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 480W Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 3007WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • BT ADSL Max

Re: How control my PWM fans ?

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'm sure somebody a lot more knowledgable will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

I have the Asus Z87-PRO mobo but assume the fan control will be similar for your Hero VI. I don't think you can have PWM control for any of the chassis fans. The 4-pin headers that are normally associated with PWM control are really 3-pin headers on the Asus mobos as each chassis connector has its own voltage regulator. With Chassis Q-Fan enabled I assume you can at least control the speed in BIOS by one of the 4 profile settings but cannot set minimum operation speed. Once you have the fans running, the bundled Fan Xpert 2 software can identify and profile each fan for optimum control from within Windows. It has the ability to stop and start individual chassis fans based on the CPU temperature reported.

Have a look at this thread, it contains some useful info and will give you a more informed perspective:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...=66283p=575840

Good luck.
    Last edited by Toobad; 27-08-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Re-phrased for clarity.
    Apparently, "Do whatever you like" should NOT be considered authorisation to build my uber rig!

3. Received thanks from:

Infinite (27-08-2013)

Thanks
    • Macadee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Haswell 4770K @ 4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Samsung Green @ 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 520 120GB, Samsung 840 250GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Tri-Fire 7990 / 7970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1300-G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-75
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • VM

Speed Fan 4.49 does not work for fan control on the Hero.

I haven't changed any settings for Q-Fan control in the bios, and have 3 x Corsair SP120 PWM fans running with a powered adaptor cable from CPU_FAN, a MCP-35X pump PWM control from CPU_OPT, and a Zaward ZG3-120B PWM fan from CHA_FAN3.

You need to install AI Suite 3, then run Fan Xpert2 from it. Select 'Fan Tuning' to test the controllable range of speed vs power, max & min speeds, and spin up/spin down for each fan then you can adjust for custom profiles.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers guys.
    I've read that post and now have my 2 fan's connected to the one of the cpu fan's header ( to have true pwm support ).
    Problem now is, i've downloaded AI suite III from asus website ( latest version ), and it just does not install. I run the setup, and nothing happens. I can see a process in task manager from Asus Setup but instalshield doesn't start

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stesea View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys.
    I've read that post and now have my 2 fan's connected to the one of the cpu fan's header ( to have true pwm support ).
    Problem now is, i've downloaded AI suite III from asus website ( latest version ), and it just does not install. I run the setup, and nothing happens. I can see a process in task manager from Asus Setup but instalshield doesn't start
    Hi Stesea, I would like to know very much if you have already solved your problem, and how? In fact you weren't able to get run the AI suite III, right? Or even after successful installing of AI suite III still you aren't able to control the minimum speed of your fans??? It would help me a lot since I am considering to buy Asus Z87 PRO!
    Thanks in advance for your time!

Thread Information