Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 53

Thread: New Server Build Help Please

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    New Server Build Help Please

    Hi,

    Wish to build myself a new server for experience with MS Server 2012, RAID and Citrix ect. Could also use it for storage. (Something future-proof)

    I am a complete newbie to Desktop/Server building so any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated.


    UltraLinx
    Last edited by UltraLinx; 19-09-2013 at 10:05 PM.

  2. #2
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,099
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,039 times in 883 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    My home server uses a quad core AMD APU, it is frankly utter overkill for most home server uses.

    I only replaced my old dual core server because it was getting old, not because it was too slow.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    What were you using the server for though?
    A couple of people have said that Dual Core wouldn't be enough for VM's to run smoothly - they have advised something more than Dual Core
    Last edited by UltraLinx; 19-09-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  4. #4
    Bagnaj97
    Guest

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    My home server is running an A4-4000. It's hosting a minecraft server, webserver and fileserver. The A4 hasn't struggled with anything so far. If you are concerned about performance you could consider the new A10-6700T whenever it appears. Quad core 45w chip.

  5. #5
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,099
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,039 times in 883 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Well the old dual core box was a firewall, public facing email server for two domains with SPAM filtering, basic network management (DNS server, DHCP etc), web proxy, intrusion detection system, SMB file server for windows backups and NFS file server for Unix home directories. It literally runs the network, and all household internet traffic goes through it. It is quite happy keeping up with gigabit ethernet for serving files.

    The new box has 8GB of ram and quad core so that I can virtualise some of the services like email, as operating system major updates (like Centos 5 to Centos 6) whilst thankfully rare are rather a chore when so many services have to be re-instated. Admittedly the only VM it runs so far is Minecraft

    I do run Centos Linux on it rather than Windows, which might help. But I have to ask, just what do you want to play with that requires 4 cores?

    I went 4 cores partly in case I have to re-purpose the hardware for one of the family, and partly because I am really impatient

  6. #6
    Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked
    172 times in 159 posts
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    My microserver (admittedly upped to 4GB of RAM) works perfectly well doing double duty as HTPC and home server (domain controller, SMB server, DLNA, NFS).

    The system is designed to sit in small offices and do exactly that. The only thing you need to worry about with lots of VMs (with no load I assume) is RAM.

    Although you might end up installing lots of crap on it, none of it will get any load, so processing power really shouldn't be a problem.

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Thanks for the replies, I want something that I can build/buy now and stick with for a good few years so I'd happily go for the Quad Core.

    Any recommendations on components or pre-built servers? (After something small/compact)

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Hey, I would suggest amd solution. You should go with 8 core FX processor. It will consume more energy but for the money it's a great cpu for virtualisation and heavily threaded applications. Regarding the rest of the build I'll try to update it tomorrow

  9. #9
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,043
    Thanks
    1,194
    Thanked
    2,246 times in 1,847 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Hi OP, I've merged your two threads and left the resultant thread in the main hardware forum.

    If you ever think one of your threads is in the wrong section, you can always post in the trhead, report it using the report feature askling for it to be moved, or PM a mod/admin (mods have red name, admins have orange names) asking for the thread to be moved. Each forum has a list of the responsible mods/admins at the bottom of the thread list.

    If you duplicate threads it can get very messy trying to work out what reply is from who and whether you've already replied to the OP or not ... we prefer to keep things neat round here

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by UltraLinx View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I want something that I can build/buy now and stick with for a good few years so I'd happily go for the Quad Core.

    Any recommendations on components or pre-built servers? (After something small/compact)

    Thanks
    What is your budget?

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Hi OP, I've merged your two threads and left the resultant thread in the main hardware forum.

    If you ever think one of your threads is in the wrong section, you can always post in the trhead, report it using the report feature askling for it to be moved, or PM a mod/admin (mods have red name, admins have orange names) asking for the thread to be moved. Each forum has a list of the responsible mods/admins at the bottom of the thread list.

    If you duplicate threads it can get very messy trying to work out what reply is from who and whether you've already replied to the OP or not ... we prefer to keep things neat round here
    Brilliant, thanks scaryjim.

    I did try looking for an option that allowed me to archive/close the thread but couldn't see one - I know for next time now

    UltraLinx

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Budget would be around the £350 mark, may pay a little more if needed though.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    In this case I would consider either phenom II x6 or fx6xxx, am3 mobo, 8gb ddr3 ram (more if you can afford), minimum 2 hard drives for raid 0 to boost performance and a cheap case + cheap branded power supply (you don't need more than 400 watts).

    Now brand wise, I would simply go with whats cheapest. cpu will cost you arround 90-100£, matx mobo 40-50£, ram 50£+, hdd arround 50-70£, case + psu about 50£.

    check stores like scan, aria, overclockers, novatech

    good luck

  14. #14
    Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked
    172 times in 159 posts
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by mikolaj87 View Post
    In this case I would consider either phenom II x6 or fx6xxx, am3 mobo, 8gb ddr3 ram (more if you can afford), minimum 2 hard drives for raid 0 to boost performance and a cheap case + cheap branded power supply (you don't need more than 400 watts).

    Now brand wise, I would simply go with whats cheapest. cpu will cost you arround 90-100£, matx mobo 40-50£, ram 50£+, hdd arround 50-70£, case + psu about 50£.

    check stores like scan, aria, overclockers, novatech

    good luck
    Where are you getting a decent case & psu for 50 from, let alone a motherboard with a decent raid controller for that money?

    Op, I'd suggest you check out something like the servers plus esxi test bed bundles. They're designed to do more or less exactly what you want, and have the advantage of proper enterprise hardware and chassis.

    If you want to build your own you can use them as a guide for specs. Generally you want to be focussing on ram over cpu speed/core count. Since its not going into production and you appear to want to try a lot of stuff multiple slightly slower vms are probably more appropriate than faster ones with less ram.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Where are you getting a decent case & psu for 50 from, let alone a motherboard with a decent raid controller for that money?

    Op, I'd suggest you check out something like the servers plus esxi test bed bundles. They're designed to do more or less exactly what you want, and have the advantage of proper enterprise hardware and chassis.

    If you want to build your own you can use them as a guide for specs. Generally you want to be focussing on ram over cpu speed/core count. Since its not going into production and you appear to want to try a lot of stuff multiple slightly slower vms are probably more appropriate than faster ones with less ram.
    I would like to see 350£ esxi test bed bundle .
    And please don't send me a link to hp microserver as I've tried few hypervisors on it and it's not fast enough.
    Also you mention about ram but you never mention about hard drives which are main bootlenecks if we talk about virtualization. You can run linux server without gui and it will happily run utilizing 256 ram but try to run 10 instances at the same time and simulate some load... single harddrive will never cope with it.

    Regarding the power supply: http://www.ebuyer.com/442064-coolerm...k350-kwp500-n2

    Finaly about the mobo and controller... tbh with you look at the budget, also bare in mind that he wants it for windows server experiance.

    I've been running both ESXi and Citrix Xen Server on similar build with pehenom 2x4 and asrock mobo and guess what, it worked fine, surly it wouldn't be sufficient for business use but it is more than enough for learning/file server.

  16. #16
    Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked
    172 times in 159 posts
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

    Re: New Server Build Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by mikolaj87 View Post
    I would like to see 350£ esxi test bed bundle .
    And please don't send me a link to hp microserver as I've tried few hypervisors on it and it's not fast enough.
    Also you mention about ram but you never mention about hard drives which are main bootlenecks if we talk about virtualization. You can run linux server without gui and it will happily run utilizing 256 ram but try to run 10 instances at the same time and simulate some load... single harddrive will never cope with it.

    Regarding the power supply: http://www.ebuyer.com/442064-coolerm...k350-kwp500-n2

    Finaly about the mobo and controller... tbh with you look at the budget, also bare in mind that he wants it for windows server experiance.

    I've been running both ESXi and Citrix Xen Server on similar build with pehenom 2x4 and asrock mobo and guess what, it worked fine, surly it wouldn't be sufficient for business use but it is more than enough for learning/file server.
    £282 gets you this i3 based 4Gb Ml310, with £70 left over for a second NIC, a memory key to run ESXi off and probably some more ram (although you could instead go for more disk). I'd argue thats probably a better starting point for what most people are looking for.

    All of this is assuming OP is wanting to use Linux of course, since server 2012 is what £500 on its own?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •