Thread: I Beg Of All Of You

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks

I Beg Of All Of You

please please please someone help me!

on thursday night i was overclocking my 1700+ marginally succefully, after rebooting to the bios for the 100th time i changed the multi/vcore/and fsb, then exit and saving, but then then it appeared to 'hang' for a long period of time (about 20 seconds) so i held in the power button, it has that '5 seconds soft off' thing on it, but jsut as it came to 5 seconds, the little red box telling me not to power off while it saved the settings came up, it powered off, and now im screwed.

so i tried everything i knew on thrsday night, clearing the cmos, leaving for a minute, unplugging everything, taking out the battery, starting with a boot floppy to flash a new bios, starting with insert held down, to no avail

i tried most of the same before leaving for school on friday, but it still was screwed, i took it into the network admin, at school, he tried the same, but with the same result, he concluded that the bios chip was b0rked, and a new one would be 30 dollars, but he suggested that i might be able to get someone with te same motherboard to do it from their motherboard if that was possible, the motherboard is only a month, old so i thought it would be under warranty, but abit do not seem to have to have any base in the uk, and the only number is an american one, so i was wondering, WHAT CAN I DO?

please help guys, cos no shop in northern ireland i doubt would have a hope of helping me, i think this is my best bet, as a lot of you guys have this mobo, (buff)

please please please, oh and did i mention this is the day of northern ireland biggest lan sesssion, which i am now missing out on..

p.s. its an an nf7-s rev2, other rig details in sig
    Under Development...

Thanks
    • Hottentot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 at 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • SSD + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • CM HAF 932 (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 2690WUXi
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb
    Technical Dept.
    Abit Computer Corp., Ltd. U.K.

Unit 3 , 24-26
    Boulton Road
    Stevenage
    Herts SG1 4QX

Email:technical@abitcomputer.co.uk
    Tel: 01438 362088
    Fax: 01438 226333
    Please note that the above telephone line for technical support opens from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 14:00 PM to 16:00 PM.

Please also note that you can always get helps from the following links:

To download Drivers, Bioses, Utilities and Manuals: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/index.htm
    For Bios Update Instruction: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bioshelp.htm
    For CPU Support List: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/generic/checkcpu.htm
    For HDD support List: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/generic/index.htm
    For FAQs: http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/index.htm
    For ABIT Forum: http://forum.abit-usa.com

Thanks
    U said u cleard cmos for 1 min. I ideally it should be atleast 20 mins, preferably 30mins. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by speedy_s; 09-10-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    dont abits have that hold in delet thingy... or is it insert to reset the bios....

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks
    its inset i did that, it didnt help, seriously? 20-30minutes? is that right?

buff has kindly offered to reflash my chip though
    Under Development...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson187

if it isnt dead that is.can happen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson187

2-3 workd for me! Its in your mobo manual..

Thanks
    If you have no luck with Buff then I can reflash it for you if you like
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Thanks
    Why would changing BIOS settings harm the firmware? But you could have done it while reflashing from floppy while still overclocked. Did it read from the floppy and fail, or did it do nothing at all?
    Anyway, try unplugging from mains, set the CMOS clear jumper, remove all PCI cards, disconnect ALL drive data and power cables, reseat the graphics card (common problem on ABITs!), reseat memory, leave it overnight, put the CMOS clear jumper back to normal. If you have a jumper that forces a slower FSB, try that as well. If all that doesn't work, try reseating the CPU. Put in minimum amount of memory. Swap memory around.
    Grasping at straws now, but do you have another PSU to try just in case it's that?
    Read up about BIOS Saviour, found one reference here:
    http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/abit_nf7_(s)_v2_0.htm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rajagra
    Why would changing BIOS settings harm the firmware? But you could have done it while reflashing from floppy while still overclocked. Did it read from the floppy and fail, or did it do nothing at all?
    Anyway, try unplugging from mains, set the CMOS clear jumper, remove all PCI cards, disconnect ALL drive data and power cables, reseat the graphics card (common problem on ABITs!), reseat memory, leave it overnight, put the CMOS clear jumper back to normal. If you have a jumper that forces a slower FSB, try that as well. If all that doesn't work, try reseating the CPU. Put in minimum amount of memory. Swap memory around.
    Grasping at straws now, but do you have another PSU to try just in case it's that?
    Read up about BIOS Saviour, found one reference here:
    http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/abit_nf7_(s)_v2_0.htm

if you read the whole original post you would have seen that he powered it off at the point when it is harmfull to do so "do not power off saving settings".

i.e. when the BIOS EEPROM is being flashed with the configuration data.
    can corrupt the firmware or worse can damage the BIOS chip completely.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pumbertot
    ...i.e. when the BIOS EEPROM is being flashed with the configuration data.
    You are claiming that simple configuration data has to be flashed to the EEPROM instead of saved to battery-backed CMOS memory.
    If that were true then even one wrong setting (e.g. voltage) would probably make the mobo permanently unusable (the CMOS clear jumper can't reset the EEPROM!)
    I can think of a workaround (cleared CMOS means firmware uses default voltages etc.) but I don't think things work that way.
    The original poster's first mishap should have caused no harm that couldn't be fixed using by clearing the CMOS.
    If he follows my advice he stands a good chance of getting his system working. My money's on a loose video card.

Thanks
    You are claiming that simple configuration data has to be flashed to the EEPROM instead of saved to battery-backed CMOS memory.
    If that were true then even one wrong setting (e.g. voltage) would probably make the mobo permanently unusable (the CMOS clear jumper can't reset the EEPROM!)
    I can think of a workaround (cleared CMOS means firmware uses default voltages etc.) but I don't think things work that way.
    The original poster's first mishap should have caused no harm that couldn't be fixed using by clearing the CMOS.
    If he follows my advice he stands a good chance of getting his system working. My money's on a loose video card.

isnt what i meant at all but possibly need to lay off the drugs.

but i can tell you it wouldnt be the first BIOS chip to be neding replaced due to poweroff at wrong time though a reflash may just help.

i doubt he is retarded as to have a loose video card so keep your hard earned dosh.

Thanks
    I'm getting out of here, I'm taking it far too seriously and misinterpreting some of your stuff.
    Last edited by rajagra; 10-10-2004 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    I'm getting out of here, I'm taking it far too seriously and misinterpreting some of your stuff.

lol saw the unedited version. when you change fsb etc you save config settings so the BIOS is being written to wether is just saving the settings or flashing it.a poweroff can caue damage it does happen.im not saying it is in this case.

dont get out of here when you are just making this thread really interesting and fun.

Thanks
    Oi - pumbertot and rajagra - play nice.

On clearing BIOS's, my motherboard lacks a jumper for that purpose. Instead, the suggested method is to remove the battery and then short the two contacts for a minute or three. It's worked for me every time I've tightened my RAM's timings a tad too much, and is a lot better for one's patience than leaving the board battery-less overnight.

I know this isn't what ails mr_anderson's board, just saying.

Thanks
    I've corrupted bios chips just by resetting halfway through booting. Hotflashing has saved me more than once, although I have also killed a bios chip dead by shoving it into the socket the wrong way round while trying to hotflash. It got very hot and never worked again, trying to flash it results in failure every time.

Rich :¬)

Thread Information