Thread: My New Waterblocks :D (56k warning)

Thanks

My New Waterblocks :D (56k warning)

Forsale thread

After weeks of designing, weeks of waiting, they have arrived!

(Big pic downsized for 56k'ers etc..)

I know they look a little dirty in the pic, It was taken shortly after the machinist finnished them. I have yet to remove the burrs on the polycarb top and get all the copper to a mirror finnish using a 500rpm buffing wheel/1micron diamond pollishing paste.

They cost quite a bit to get made, but were worth it!
    I will be selling one of them - that was my oringal idea. I had two made because one-offs are very expensive, if anyones intersted, although I think it already has a buyer. Ill make a f/s thread if they drop out.

Here is a pic of the prototype, http://server6.uploadit.org/files/kb...aterblock1.jpg

As you might notice, it has AMD64 mounting holes. I feel a bit gutted now, becuase my nf7-s has a cap in the way of the left side of the block!
    I will however be moving that cap out the way.

Also note the blocks are that wide to make them suitable for TECs, which I might try using in the future.

If anyones intersted in the techincal stuff, it took 32 hours for the CNC machine to cut them
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 30-09-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    Very very nice mate

how much were they?
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    Thanks

For both it cost:
    £83 for the materials and machining.
    £13.65 for the four barbs (3/8" BSPP -> 11mm ID/13mm OD hosetail)
    And for the mounting it cost £9 each, however I only bought one, as both over-clock and coolercases sell it. The barbs are non-standard in watercooling (they are bigger than usuall for better flow) so I had to buy four.

Thanks
    Yeah very nice mate . Look really top class.

The question is how do they perform

The price seems reasonable enough. I would have expected it to cost more.

The allen head screws look very neat. Are they stainless steel?
    I presume the red thing is a seal/shim, whats it made of?
    Last edited by turkster; 22-09-2004 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks
    I hope they perform well although that wasnt my main reson for getting custom made blocks.

I think there stainless. They look shiny

The red thing is a sillicone, I know usually they are black, for some reson this ones red

Also you cant see in the pic - the top of the shorter fins have a pointed/sharpened top to divide the water. Doubt it makes much difference, but it can only be good for performance

They look even nicer with the barbs. That reminds me I need to find some orings for them - BSPP barbs this time, so no crappy PTFE tape

Thanks
    well.. They are very nice! but for that price I could have bought a whole kit! How ever it must feel great knowing there your own design and unique!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    I hope they perform well although that wasnt my main reson for getting custom made blocks.

I think there stainless. They look shiny

The red thing is a sillicone, I know usually they are black, for some reson this ones red

Also you cant see in the pic - the top of the shorter fins have a pointed/sharpened top to divide the water. Doubt it makes much difference, but it can only be good for performance
    I'd be interested to hear how they perform because I built (by hand/solder) a copper heatsink a few weeks ago which has a similar-ish design to yours. The fins etc are not nearly so complex as yours and it is all square and blocky but the water travels through it in the same way. To my chagrin it didnt work as well as my crappy aluminium one that it replaced . I'm gonna try messing with it when I get a chance.

Anyway nice touch having the shorter fins sharpened. No wonder it took the CNC machine so long to do it .

Did you just find a silicone seal the right size or did you get it made? Looks very neat anyway .
    Last edited by turkster; 22-09-2004 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks
    Got any pics of your blocks?

I think the sharpened fins were done afterwards on a normal mill

I dont know about the oring, but Ill ask. I know www.chronos.ltd.uk sell orings in lots of sizes - thats where Id get the ones for the barbs from if I couldnt from work. Not sure what size I need and theres lots of sizes @ work.
    Remember for oring you need a channel for it, preferably circular/oval instead of square edges or it might not seal properly. For my other blocks I used sillicone bath sealant (before I remade the tops from copper and soldered), that works well, although looks worse :E

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    Got any pics of your blocks?
    Yeah loads but I'm too busy to sort them out at the moment. Will post them next week wen I have abit more time .

Thanks
    Found a few orings at work, but there was only one of each size!!!
    3 fit, but only one fit perfectly, so Im going to have to order some

Also got the base of one of them REALLY shiny, using 500rpm buffing wheel and 6micron diamond paste. Theres a few very light scratches left, but all the machining marks are gone and it looks VERY flat overall - there wernt any raised areas that went shiny first. It is like mirror from any angle, even straight on, there is perfect reflection. When I get my pc back up (when its installed) I will take pics of the second one.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 23-09-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Nice Keep us posted.

Thanks
    Took some pics, finally got round to uploading them

Both blocks are now pollished. theres still some quite fine scratch marks on the bases and the machining marks are still slgihtly visiable, but it is flat. They could probably be removed very quickly with 800grit paper, but any kind of lapping will reduce the flatness, even if done with glass underneath.....

Anyway heres the pics. CCFL lighted ones were becuase I was to lazy to turn the light on at first... then I got annoyed with holdign the ccfl...

All I need now are orings. They cost about 30p each but nowhere local sells them and delivery from online is £5 at every place Ive looked..

Edit: yay. Halfords have a pack of assorted orings, ofcourse not saying which sizes they contain (these need 14.6mm ID), but one looked right. so in a packet of 6, one just about fit perfectly, so ill be buying a few more packs tomorrow. There £1.09 each but its still cheaper than delivery from any online place.

Also the second block is now up the sale, as tomorrow it will have all the bits to compleat it (apart from mounting).
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 30-09-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks
    Nice shine on that block Silent .

Have you tried them in a system yet?

Here are some pics of the block I was talking about.

Thread Information