Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: New Build... Advice please :)

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Milton Keynes, England
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    New Build... Advice please :)

    Im planning on building the following rig:

    Update: I will more than likely wait for the Winchester core on the 3800.

    AMD Athlon 64 3800 Newcastle 130nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-088-AM) £375.00
    Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-083-AS) £69.95
    Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XL Platinum TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-049-CS) £159.95
    Coolermaster Wave Master - Silver (No PSU) (CA-037-CM) £87.50
    Akasa 460W Active PFC 12cm Blue LED Fan Ultra Quiet PSU - Black Nickel (CA-004-AK) £54.95
    Akasa Rounded Ultra ATA133/100/66 IDE UV DAY-GLO Cable (0.45m) - Blue (CB-058-GE) £5.50
    Akasa Rounded Floppy UV DAY-GLO Cable (0.45m) - Blue (CB-066-GE) £2.75
    Pioneer DVR-108 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - OEM (CD-020-PO) £47.10

    Subtotal £802.70
    VAT £140.48
    Total £943.18

    After this at a later date im going to add/upgrade with the following:

    * 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-015-WD)
    Price: £103.95 (£122.14 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    * A next generation gfx card. Assuming they still support AGP.
    * Either an Audigy 2 or a next generation card, depending on when I do the gfx.
    * Watercooling.
    * Various other things im not sure on yet.

    Other things will be ported from another rig for the time being.
    9800 Pro, Audigy Platinum, other minor stuff...

    What do you think to this setup?
    What would you personally change or advise?
    What heatsink/fan would you use to keep this cool?

  2. #2
    Banned myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    alone in life
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I'd ditch the case... I had one and threw it out! Dam thing got way to hot inside! If I were you I'd look at the thermaltake http://www.fastlanehw.com/reviews.php?i=132
    Last edited by myth; 23-10-2004 at 06:19 AM.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Milton Keynes, England
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Every where ive read a review on that case has reported it as being very good for cooling. I don't like that Tusami case at all. Id rather have the Lian Li PC75.

    Anyone else had any experiences with that WaveMaster?

  4. #4
    King of the Juice Platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    3,765
    Thanks
    710
    Thanked
    88 times in 73 posts
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb
    80mm fans in there, nuff said, dont bother, looks nice yea but bad for cooling.
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>


  5. #5
    Banned myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    alone in life
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    80mm fans in there, nuff said, dont bother, looks nice yea but bad for cooling.

    yep, you can put one on top if you remove the ports... but that still dont help...

  6. #6
    mutantbass head Lee H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    M28, Manchester
    Posts
    14,204
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    671 times in 580 posts
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Its not as if the AMD 64 runs hot unlike some other processors we all know *cough* Intel prescotts so the wave-master in theory should be more than fine as the cool and quiet technology for the A64 keeps them nice and cool when the systems not in use

    If your after a better case then the following is being pimped a lot by David @ the moment - so it must be a good case and this supports the use of 120mm case fans;



    I've seen this case - they are great and people are swearing by them now.

  7. #7
    wibble
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    941
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Do you need ATA/Floppy cables, aren't they included with the mobo?
    As said previosuly the retail heatsink/fan is ok unless you plan on doing quite a bit of overclocking.
    Wibble

    Currently wanted:
    DVB- satellite pci card

  8. #8
    HEXUS webmaster Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    14,268
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked
    828 times in 468 posts
    • Steve's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3-350M 2.27GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GiB Crucial DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD3000
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.10
    I've seen that case too, and it rocks, even if it is a bit on a bulky side.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Milton Keynes, England
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Those cables are dayglo rounded ones, which I want, also I want a decent looking case with a window...

    That black case may be good for cooling but sure looks ****e. Id rather keep my coolermaster praetorian over that

  10. #10
    King of the Juice Platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    3,765
    Thanks
    710
    Thanked
    88 times in 73 posts
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb
    Nice case that Wildmoney, got one here, overpriced though OCS used to buy em at 50 notes each, seen em for sale at over 100 each
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>


  11. #11
    Banned myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    alone in life
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    Nice case that Wildmoney, got one here, overpriced though OCS used to buy em at 50 notes each, seen em for sale at over 100 each

    And I cant find one in the US!!!!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nKeY
    Im planning on building the following rig:

    Update: I will more than likely wait for the Winchester core on the 3800.

    AMD Athlon 64 3800 Newcastle 130nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-088-AM) £375.00
    Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-083-AS) £69.95
    Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XL Platinum TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-049-CS) £159.95
    Coolermaster Wave Master - Silver (No PSU) (CA-037-CM) £87.50
    Akasa 460W Active PFC 12cm Blue LED Fan Ultra Quiet PSU - Black Nickel (CA-004-AK) £54.95
    Akasa Rounded Ultra ATA133/100/66 IDE UV DAY-GLO Cable (0.45m) - Blue (CB-058-GE) £5.50
    Akasa Rounded Floppy UV DAY-GLO Cable (0.45m) - Blue (CB-066-GE) £2.75
    Pioneer DVR-108 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - OEM (CD-020-PO) £47.10

    Subtotal £802.70
    VAT £140.48
    Total £943.18

    After this at a later date im going to add/upgrade with the following:

    * 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-015-WD)
    Price: £103.95 (£122.14 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    * A next generation gfx card. Assuming they still support AGP.
    * Either an Audigy 2 or a next generation card, depending on when I do the gfx.
    * Watercooling.
    * Various other things im not sure on yet.

    Other things will be ported from another rig for the time being.
    9800 Pro, Audigy Platinum, other minor stuff...

    What do you think to this setup?
    What would you personally change or advise?
    What heatsink/fan would you use to keep this cool?
    Looks very good seen this HSF on special offer at overclockers uk the lates by Thermalright thought it might interst you.

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...right_120.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Shuttle system components - buying advice
    By Tortoise in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 11:15 AM
  2. Second system advice........
    By madwelshboy in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-04-2004, 08:46 AM
  3. Anyone have advice on building a PC for video editing
    By subucni in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-03-2004, 01:39 PM
  4. need fine tuning advice
    By savalas in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-01-2004, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •