• Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Wacky Cooler Suggestions? CPU+GPU

Hey all,

Been running my Phanteks PH-TC14PE for quite a while now and to tell the truth I seriously get bored of components quickly

I was thinking about water cooling but I like the plain air coolers, I think they stand out more wondering if anyone's got any cool CPU and GPU looking cooler ideas? The standard tower designs are a bit boring now so looking for something, well, unusual

Here's two I've seen which have caught my eye:

CPU: Prolimatech Genesis
    GPU: Alpenfohn Peter

I'm not sure the GPU cooler will fit.

Anyhow, looking for decent performs for my I7-3770 (can't overclock so don't matter). In the future a K version may be on the list but for now really don't have any need to overclock.
    I do like the big metal things

Also been looking at the Coolermaster V8 GTS (new)

Anything wacky to be honest
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Wacky Cooler Suggestions? CPU+GPU

Presumably you've seen the front-page article abount NZXT's bracket for mounting a CPU AIO watercooler on a GPU?

have to admit I'm a fan of SFF so I'd always look to the small, well-designed coolers personally. There's some nice big-ass Zalmans out there in weird and wonderful shapes if that's what you're after, but I gotta ask - who's going to see it? Unless you've got big windows and your case on your desk, seems pretty pointless to me...

3. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Just had a look thanks for pointing that out. That's my 7870 Tahiti sorted then definitely
    As for the CPU side of things I do admire the top down coolers; so the Genesis looks nice because it has both. I also like the shape and space it takes up.

I have to point out also that I will be buying very tall motherboard standoffs (20mm w/ thread) as I want to route cables behind the MB and also to get a fan on the other side of the motherboard.
    So looking for something that won't take up space (in height) as I have a window there. My current is around 5mm from the window

Although water cooling sounds great 1: I'm worried about it leaking and costing me a small fortune to replace the components 2: I'm worried about it failing and not providing simple heat transfer that heatsinks have. I suppose.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Bios mod your 7870; much funner! not sure peter will fit very well and at that price maybe upgrade to a well cooled 7950.

Genesis looks 'odd' and the CM didn't have a great review for the price. Although it does look pretty cool!

Sorry for being miserable; btw out of the corner of my eye your signature looks like a carebear; this one:-

Buts thats probably the meds.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post
    Although water cooling sounds great 1: I'm worried about it leaking and costing me a small fortune to replace the components 2: I'm worried about it failing and not providing simple heat transfer that heatsinks have. I suppose.
    Hmm, what about one of these all-in-one watercooling kits like the Corsair H100i? I remember reading that they use some kind of non-conductive cooling fluid so yes, you have to mop up after a leak, but at least your graphics card and processor isn't going to go foop.

Actually been looking at the H100 because my Noctua NH-D14 completely covers the memory area on my new motherboard (old one broke). Actually I'd recommend the NH-D14, but it's not "exciting" in the least. In fact the only way to jazz it up would be to replace the stock fans with some Bitfenix Spectre's since the latter are lit.

Shame you weren't looking for new memory - got some Crucial Ballistix Tracer's and the lighting effects on those are definitely worth having. And I managed to use mine to - very quickly - identify a bad DIMM slot. The "lava" setting can make it look like you've got a mini-WOPR to play Battlefield on.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic_Ginger View Post
    Bios mod your 7870; much funner! not sure peter will fit very well and at that price maybe upgrade to a well cooled 7950.

Genesis looks 'odd' and the CM didn't have a great review for the price. Although it does look pretty cool!

Sorry for being miserable; btw out of the corner of my eye your signature looks like a carebear; this one:-

Buts thats probably the meds.
    BIOS mod? but yeah your right I may as well go for the 7950 if I were to do that. Scrap that idea

Carebear? lol what on earth are you on about?

Yeah the V8 GTS looks cool but performance isn't too great. Still like the look of the Genesis however a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Hmm, what about one of these all-in-one watercooling kits like the Corsair H100i? I remember reading that they use some kind of non-conductive cooling fluid so yes, you have to mop up after a leak, but at least your graphics card and processor isn't going to go foop.

Actually been looking at the H100 because my Noctua NH-D14 completely covers the memory area on my new motherboard (old one broke). Actually I'd recommend the NH-D14, but it's not "exciting" in the least. In fact the only way to jazz it up would be to replace the stock fans with some Bitfenix Spectre's since the latter are lit.

Shame you weren't looking for new memory - got some Crucial Ballistix Tracer's and the lighting effects on those are definitely worth having. And I managed to use mine to - very quickly - identify a bad DIMM slot. The "lava" setting can make it look like you've got a mini-WOPR to play Battlefield on.
    See problem is I haven't got any space for the radiator; in fact I haven't got anywhere to mount the thing as I don't have any fan mounts (I cut them all out).
    My recent mod project lead me to scrap most of the spaces available including my rear (so H80 is out of the question too).

My Phanteks is awesome; chunky however. I'm still debating where to put things as my hard drives are just stacked at the bottom of the case at the moment too. If I could figured out a place for a rad maybe just maybe.

THIS is my case except without the front cage, top bezel for fans and rear space for fan. My plan was to have linear airflow for my air cooler straight out the back
    Last edited by mikeo01; 27-11-2013 at 07:16 PM.

SUMMONER

Is this wacky enough?

Hexus Review of the Nofan CR-95C IcePipe

Who needs space for a a video card anyway, right?

Personally I am a huge fan of Corsairs H Series closed loop water coolers, got an old H70 myself, for the reason that they are so "understated" and make the case look so "tidy" once installed.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Lol that thing! I remember it.

Would be great if it had a fan mount inside.

Imagine trying to move things around with that thing in your way. Cut you to shreds!

The only place for an AIO cooler is by my HDDs for me!

However it is done! Phanteks up for sale I can't resist that Genesis anymore!

I'll post pics up so everyone can laugh at it :-D

Couple of cheap VGA coolers going on ebay. Anyone tried the Accelero S1 plus? Or the Accelero twin turbo? May buy it.

Thread Information