Thread: Mini Gaming PC

Registered+
    Thanks

Mini Gaming PC

Well i have decided to go for a mini formed pc, since i travel a lot, but when it comes to components and hardware I'm kinda new. I'm looking to build a pc which can play all the latest games with ease, but it has to be able to fit in a mini itx case and provide enough cooling so it doesn't overheat. Since this site is filled with a lot of people who expertise in this area, i wondered if one of you guys can help me out with what components i need to make the best possible gaming pc for a budget of £700. It doesn't have to play the games in max graphics but able to get 60fps on medium.

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Re: Mini Gaming PC

So something like this?
    http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW...FUnjwgodJl0AFg

I'd go for a similar spec and add an SSD.
    The main decision will be the case really.

The prodigy isn't exactly small, but it is portable and easy to fit standard size components into.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BZVTX8/?tag=pcp0f-21

3. Received thanks from:

nev24 (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

My push towards SFF and mini-ITX based systems around 9 years ago was due to similar reasons to you OP,as I used to travel on the train alot with my systems.

I would say,that something like an SG05 based or Shuttle based rig would be a small enough size to easily move about.They will fit in small bags other mini-ITX based gaming systems won't fit in.The latest Shuttle cases have standard ITX mounts now so can be upgraded at a later date. The PSUs are a flexATX form factor(but are easily available).

I used to have a small dedicated bag for my Shuttle which made moving it around easy.

I have a Cubitek Mini Cube which is also small,but will not easily fit in a duffle bag -it will fit in a hold case bag(the one with wheels).
    The CM Elite 120 or 130 would be a budget option but it is quite long and the same goes for the Fractal Node 304,Silverstone SG08,Antec ISK 600 and the CM HAF Stacker 915 series.

So,how small do you need the PC to be OP??

How are you moving it around??
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-01-2014 at 02:54 PM.

5. Received thanks from:

nev24 (05-01-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    So something like this?
    http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW...FUnjwgodJl0AFg

I'd go for a similar spec and add an SSD.
    The main decision will be the case really.

The prodigy isn't exactly small, but it is portable and easy to fit standard size components into.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BZVTX8/?tag=pcp0f-21
    Thanks , spec wise this is something that looks really good, but i feel that both of the cases are too big. Do you think that a shuttle would have enough cooling capability to run that graphic card as well as the cpu?

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    My push towards SFF and mini-ITX based systems around 9 years ago was due to similar reasons to you OP,as I used to travel on the train alot with my systems.

I would say,that something like an SG05 based or Shuttle based rig would be a small enough size to easily move about.They will fit in small bags other mini-ITX based gaming systems won't fit in.The latest Shuttle cases have standard ITX mounts now so can be upgraded at a later date. The PSUs are a flexATX form factor(but are easily available).

I used to have a small dedicated bag for my Shuttle which made moving it around easy.

I have a Cubitek Mini Cube which is also small,but will not easily fit in a duffle bag -it will fit in a hold case bag(the one with wheels).
    The CM Elite 120 or 130 would be a budget option but it is quite long and the same goes for the Fractal Node 304,Silverstone SG08,Antec ISK 600 and the CM HAF Stacker 915 series.

So,how small do you need the PC to be OP??

How are you moving it around??
    Ideally i would like it to be small enough fit a rucksack when going through airports, I have looked at the shuttle cases and they seem like the ideal type of size i am looking for atm. Really appreciate you telling me about that. But I'm worried that it won't offer sufficient cooling for the system since it's so small, do you have any experience with that case?, and do you think it can fit any water cooling system into it?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I had another look at the SG08 and ISK600. They are almost the same length as the H7 chassis,but the front surface area is much greater and the other issue is that they are steel cases,so they weigh much more.

A Shuttle or SG05 would make more sense though.

This OcUK forum member has tested a few of the later Shuttle systems:

http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SH87R6/
    http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ77R5/

The only thing is that they cost a decent amount.

The SG05 also has the right dimensions and is cheaper but heavier.

Edit!!

Have you also looked at a laptop?? I assume a desktop would have to go to the main hold??
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-01-2014 at 03:36 PM.

8. Received thanks from:

nev24 (05-01-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

I had another look at the SG08 and ISK600. They are almost the same length as the H7 chassis,but the front surface area is much greater and the other issue is that they are steel cases,so they weigh much more.

A Shuttle or SG05 would make more sense though.

This OcUK forum member has tested a few of the later Shuttle systems:

http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SH87R6/
    http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ77R5/

The only thing is that they cost a decent amount.

The SG05 also has the right dimensions and is cheaper but heavier.
    Really appreciate you helping me out, after looking at the reviews i have decided to go for the Shuttle SZ77R5, even though it's a bit expensive it comes with the motherboard, cooler, power supply and the size is perfect for my needs.

Last question: Would adding the 2600k and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB to it give me a good gaming experience? i.e. would it be able to give me 60fps on high/medium setting and most of the latest games?

Edit: I have looked at laptop's but most of the time i have bad experiences with them, like the last gaming laptop i had used to overheat a lot and it broke down a year later. I travel back and forth the same countries so i do have a monitor where i travel too.

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

A Haswell or similar CPU isn't going to generate any appreciable heat at stock settings, not without being totally enclosed.

Similarly a 760 is quite modest in heat output, it will need some airflow, but nothing major.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7398/t...yte-compared/3
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7564/m...gtx-760-gaming

11. Received thanks from:

nev24 (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by nev24 View Post
    Really appreciate you helping me out, after looking at the reviews i have decided to go for the Shuttle SZ77R5, even though it's a bit expensive it comes with the motherboard, cooler, power supply and the size is perfect for my needs.

Last question: Would adding the 2600k and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB to it give me a good gaming experience? i.e. would it be able to give me 60fps on high/medium setting and most of the latest games?

Edit: I have looked at laptop's but most of the time i have bad experiences with them, like the last gaming laptop i had used to overheat a lot and it broke down a year later. I travel back and forth the same countries so i do have a monitor where i travel too.
    Any reason for going for a Core i7 2600K over a Core i7 3770K or even a Core i7 4770K(will need a different Shuttle though)??

How much are you getting it for??

Regarding the GTX760,I would avoid the reference ones as HT4U found they had huge throttling problems on an open air testbench.

As with any SFF case,the coolers with the huge heatpipes can have clearance issues.

Edit!!

BTW,I have the the 500W SFF PSU which the R5 and H7 series use,as I converted an older Shuttle and used it for a while.

It is one of the best SFF PSUs made and one of the most powerful as typically they are under 500W. If you look at the reviews I linked to,a GTX680 or HD7970 will run fine on it. I know my 30% overclocked HD5850 1GB was OK with it!!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Have you also looked at a laptop?? I assume a desktop would have to go to the main hold??
    Good luck getting a desktop through hold luggage security without much hassle Not to mention the cargo 'handling'.. Easier to post it.

Having an SFF to go in hand luggage is probably doable, but still tricky going through security I expect - forget water cooling as it'll fail the liquids rule. Unless you don't mind emptying the system and keeping coolant at each end (but not travelling with it) to refill it I guess. You may also find yourself having to prove that you owned it before the trip.

A laptop is not as good for gaming, but it's something airport security is that much more familiar with, so if you do a lot of travelling it's probably worth it for the saving in hassle.

Registered+
    Thanks

Any reason for going for a Core i7 2600K over a Core i7 3770K or even a Core i7 4770K(will need a different Shuttle though)??

How much are you getting it for??

Regarding the GTX760,I would avoid the reference ones as HT4U found they had huge throttling problems on an open air testbench.

As with any SFF case,the coolers with the huge heatpipes can have clearance issues.

Edit!!

BTW,I have the the 500W SFF PSU which the R5 and H7 series use,as I converted an older Shuttle and used it for a while.

It is one of the best SFF PSUs made and one of the most powerful as typically they are under 500W. If you look at the reviews I linked to,a GTX680 or HD7970 will run fine on it. I know my 30% overclocked HD5850 1GB was OK with it!!
    Regarding the cpu http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ77R5/cooling.htm i viewed that page and it said that the 3770k produced more heat so i thought it might be a bad idea to go with it. Regarding the clearance issue would it be safe to take a mini pc via normal luggage, with it being covered with loads of clothes etc to prevent it from being damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Good luck getting a desktop through hold luggage security without much hassle Not to mention the cargo 'handling'.. Easier to post it.

Having an SFF to go in hand luggage is probably doable, but still tricky going through security I expect - forget water cooling as it'll fail the liquids rule. Unless you don't mind emptying the system and keeping coolant at each end (but not travelling with it) to refill it I guess. You may also find yourself having to prove that you owned it before the trip.

A laptop is not as good for gaming, but it's something airport security is that much more familiar with, so if you do a lot of travelling it's probably worth it for the saving in hassle.
    Good point, damn didn't even think about the water cooling. I have taken a wii and ps3 via airport security and never had any issue at all with that. But i can see how that might be an issue. Laptop is a no go for me me atm due to bad experience, but do you know of any good gaming laptop's with very good cooling system for the £700 range?

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Temperature isn't the same as heat.
    Your best bet would be a Haswell chip. As I said earlier an i5-4570 would be ideal for most games.

I would definitely forget water cooling, it is a bad option for so many reasons in this particular situation.

16. Received thanks from:

nev24 (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

One quick word of warning, the PSU in the shuttle is NOT a standard unit.
    It's almost the standard Flex ATX, but it flares out about half way along it to be slightly wider than the standard FlexATX psu.
    You can fit a standard FlexATX psu as it's slightly smaller but the screw holes will not line up correctly and so may not hold securely unless you drill in an extra hole or two.

The psu is the PC63, newegg has some good images of it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856997008

Although that shouldn't be much of an issue, it is a good PSU, made by FSP not sure if it's based off the 60LG flex atx form factor model or the 701UH U1 form factor.
    Probably the 701UH given that that's a triple 12v rail server unit with very similar amp numbers across the rails, although it could be a 60LG that's been beefed up with an extra 12v rail added.

On water cooling a shuttle, unless you mod it you're going to hit some issues, the problem is that the rear fan vent is only 92mm and most water cooling is based off 120mm these days.
    After a quick look I only found one source for that Asetek 545LC 92mm all-in-one cooler and that was on US ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asetek-545...-/271088154066 £78 total is probably a bit steep.

I wouldn't of thought you'd have too much trouble with customs, although you'd probably have to explane that it's a computer every time and I've not tried to take a pc through customs before.
    Going through hold luggage, risky, you'd want a hard shell case/bag (or aluminium flight case) with padding around it and probably carve some hard foam or polystyrene blocks to put inside it to fill up the empty space. the biggest worry is the graphics card waggling about inside it.
    Oh and no hard drive just put in an SSD as that should not be effected by being chucked about.

Thread Information