Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The sum of the whole is less than the sum of the parts

Registered+
    Thanks
    Skuzgib - Reserator investigation will be my last resort (It'd be a heavy puppy to return even if the vendor would take it back). On an optimistic note, it's a fairly simple piece of kit and it hums and moves water when it's on : what's more it seems to keep the CPU nice and cool (one web review which trashed the Mobo did concede at least the temps in the BIOS were honest) particularly since I replaced my walnut-whip style thermal paste job. It is one of the more penis-extending aspects of the rig and I think I would rather build a secondary circuit to run through my fridge than replace it with air...but I take your point from a testing/diagnostic point of view. Thanks.

Purple - as part of my RAM tinkerings, I will try your suggestions on dual channel mode. I have however read a very disturbing report on the web that Corsair twins won't run in dual channel on the K8N unless all four slots are full. While I'd like another two sticks, I think I've spent enough for the moment. I could be one of the small minority who were seduced by the 939/K8N mobo reviews and who are now finding compatibility issues with stuff. Perhaps even more worrying is a claim by someone like myself elsewhere on the web that Antec PSUs (amongst others) don't get on well with the K8Ns...sigh.

I imagine my PC (even on non-dual channel) is adequate for HL2 but the more I read to sort my probs out, the more I want to be able post a good "pifast" result or boast about how many hours of prime95 my machine withstood. Arggghh. Must get it to work.

Keep writing.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    I've heard a few stories about name performance RAM causing problems in dual mode 939 boards, and not just with K8N. I know a guy who went out and bought plain vanilla Samsung at half the price on an NF3 and the problems went away.

All Purples suggestion is doing is running the memory slower. If this works then you know the RAM is not working as it ought to and you should RMA it.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I fiddled with Purple's suggestion last night and the mobo complained by (a) not booting and (b) giving an audio warning that something was seriously wrong. I reset the mobo with the battery jumper and everything is back the way it was.

Thorsson - I hear the wisdom of your words. Not sure my RAM is RMA-able (I'm an amateur at that sort of thing but absence of packaging along with over 30 days since purchase : are those likely to affect my chances? I can ask I suppose - I will report back and who knows, I may have something good to say about Dabs in a day or two.)

Thanks
    Corsair’s memory products carry a lifetime warranty. This means that Corsair products are guaranteed to operate, as specified by their datasheet, and in the operating environment for which they were intended, for the life of the product.
    Lifetime warranty m8 if its broke send it back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information