Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Watercooling. 101. the Heatercore.

Thanks
    Free heater core, nice one

Mine are both harrison models, different years though (printed on the bottom of the core), what does yours say? (not that it makes any difference)

I doubt its aluminuim, the construction, if it is the same as mine, makes little sence for an aluminuim core. Alunuim is a very reactive metal, and so it binds with oxygen and nitrogen in the air when heated (which is not a good thing..). With copper, flux prevents this, and new fluxes work with aluminuim but with a very weak joint in comparason. As my heatercores are both based heavly on soldering techiniques for manufacture, I dont see how an alu one would look the same or even close

Alumuinuim is a silvery coloured metal, but much duller (becuase of quick oxidisation) where as copper is orangy, brass is a mix between zink and copper, and so is gold like in colour.

One way to test is to fill with water, and touch some copper against the aluminuim, both touching the water and each other. There should be a measureable voltage between them (the basis for galvanic corrosion). Theres probably a better way to test, but I cant remember.

I dont know exactly how much brass weighs, but as you dont know how much brass is there - its not a solid cubic shape so that wouldnt help...

I would recommend on the bottom front of the case. Cutting into the mobo tray is the best way, becuase it gives more space in the rest of the case and hides the ugly heatercores. Its fairly easy to do, but you might want a nibbler tool for it, rapidelectronics.co.uk sell them. After modding your case a tiny bit, if you can be arsed, its definatly the best place imo, but takes some effort..

The pipes are brass, non standard size(in terms of copper mains/central heating piping) so soldering is not the best idea if you want an exact fit.
    You can probably put a normal 1/4"BSPT->1/2" barb in and solder it to a good fit, wrap some copper braid/wire around the joint if its atall loose, and use plenty of flux and you wil get a good joint. 1/4" bspt will restrict it quite a bit (16mm->9mm..)
    Soldering is only really a great idea when you want to extend the pipe, or like me, to add a drain tap to it.
    Soldering might damage the paint...

What tubing are you using? tygon and clearflex 1/2" both stretch over quite easly although you might wnato heat them up a bit by immersing in hot water, as this allows it to stretch much easyer...

extra question: No, its quite random, really. Usually they say ID or OD.. but always ask. By my vernier (and bad eyesight) 3/8" is equal to 9.52mm, so no... BUT you shouldnt be using such low IDs anyway .. too low for me (mines all 12mm+ )
    Btw, the ID of 1/2" barbs is usually between 8 and 9.5mm, although brass is easly strong enough to allow 10-10.5mm.. nowhere seems to make them

Look up BSPT to barb sizes, they are not the same...

Leave the rad painted, if it looks good. I would. I doubt you would notice the differnce. The dT between water and air is only a small temp anyway in most systems, the highest dT is between chip core and heatsink...

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    Cool, well i'm happy to believe it's a brass model, and quite happy to leave it black

tubing - well i was looking at the 1/2" (id) DD clearflex - over-clock has it for £1.60 a foot. Seems reasonable.

A C-systems pump - small, quiet, and reasonably powerful. and 12v!

Waterblock - ideally im looking for something that can be used on socket A and AMD 64 - i dont want to have to buy a new waterblock when i move up in the world! I was looking at the asetek antarctica block - but the little bastard only accepts 1/2" OD tubing, not ID. Grrrrrr.

Ive been looking for half an hour and i cant find a block that is multi-format AND takes 1/2" ID tubing...
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information