Thread: 3200 + 90nm @ 2.6 ghz???

Registered+
    Thanks

3200 + 90nm @ 2.6 ghz???

please can some one help out a noob, i have jus bought, the msi neo 2 platinum nforce3 and amd winchester 3200+ 90nm core, i keep hearing that i can achieve 2.6 ghz with this setup, maybe someone can tell me how???

i cant get the fsb up more than 210 which gice me a clock of 2100 ghz

please can some one shed some light on this
    thx

Thanks
    What is your memory? If it is pc3200 that may be why.
    Also make sure the agp and pic frequency's are set to fixed or locked
    Because of Munich, God gave us Georgy Best

Registered+
    Thanks
    my mem is pc4000 corsair 1 gig matched pairs, also how do i lock the agp/cpu or is this done by default?

Thanks
    the option should be in the bios usually its in the same menu as where the clock settings are and voltages if not just look about for something that says agp/ pci lock , u dont want to lock the cpu

Thanks
    make sure u've locked the agp/pci from bios (if it is not by default), then try to increase the Vcore a bit and set Vdimm up to 2.85V if it is not already, generally speaking give us an idea about what are your bios settings (tell us all basically )

?!
    Thanks
    Ever get the cpu to 2.6 , MuzTee?

Thanks
    Set the Hypertransport speed to 3x (stock is 4x). Don't worry, you won't lose any performance as a result, but it should allow you to get the HTT much higher.

Rich :¬)

Registered+
    Thanks
    ok i have changed the htt to 3x and now i seem to b able to get 240 2.4 ghz clock speed, which is great, i ve seen in pics of cpu-z that people have different fsb:dram but i cannot see anywhere that i can change this value, is there any way i can check the bios of my board? also i cant run 3dmark01 and all my games r showing alot less fps than my old 32bit 3200 barton, i have installed the l8est nforce platform drivers 5.10 and gfx drivers 61.77. i was thining of a format and fresh install but im clutching at straws here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuzTee
    ok i have changed the htt to 3x and now i seem to b able to get 240 2.4 ghz clock speed, which is great, i ve seen in pics of cpu-z that people have different fsb:dram but i cannot see anywhere that i can change this value, is there any way i can check the bios of my board?
    I don't actually have an A64 system but AFAIK you have to set the RAM speed to a different value. E.G. if you have PC3200 RAM the RAM speed in bios would usually be set to 200MHz, but if you set it to 166MHz it'll run at 4:5 of HTT speed. Thing is though, you shouldn't need to, with PC4000 you should be able to run up to 250MHz no problems, although it won't hurt to set the RAM voltage to 2.8V to ensure that it's happy. Also make sure that the command rate is set to 1T in the bios, you lose quite a bit of performance if it's not. You can use Memtest86 to make sure that it's not the memory holding back your OC.

also i cant run 3dmark01 and all my games r showing alot less fps than my old 32bit 3200 barton, i have installed the l8est nforce platform drivers 5.10 and gfx drivers 61.77. i was thining of a format and fresh install but im clutching at straws here
    A repair install might well do the job, they always do the business for me and it's much easier than reinstalling all your programs etc.. There's no other explanation why it shouldn't be working.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    Like Rave said, make sure u're running at 1T as this will affect the performance a lot on a 64 system Some motherboards don't like 1T overclock tho

Thanks
    Some OC help for you

http://www.dugu9tweaks.net/guides/a64oc/index.html
    (Note that he says LDT which seems to be HT)

http://forums.pcper.com/printthread.php?t=299229

http://www.deep-powder.net/OC_Guide/...king_Guide.htm

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?si...c697c76e0cd92d

There's enough info and help there to OC. Note that one item I found useful was to know that SATA 1 and 2 are not locked whereas SATA 3 and 4 are. Use PGUP and PGDN keys to change HT value else it might not take. I think that HTxHTT=HTBus with a limit of about 1GHz holds true. Set DRAM to 166. Set Vdimm to 2.85v. Use ClockGen to OC from within WinXP.

I am using the same MSI K8N Neo2 board with an A64 3000+ Winchester. I can get 2400 on cheap PC3200 Crucial RAM. That's 3800 speed for £120!!

Registered+
    Thanks
    thx dudes im slowly gettin there

Thanks
    What you up to muztee?

Registered+
    Thanks
    i am tring to oc my 3200+ on msi neo2, but im new to a64 so learning slowley dan

p.s spookey wot did u mean by this comment....

Note that one item I found useful was to know that SATA 1 and 2 are not locked whereas SATA 3 and 4 are.

locked? in wot way and why is this good?

thx m8
    Last edited by MuzTee; 09-11-2004 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuzTee
    i am tring to oc my 3200+ on msi neo2, but im new to a64 so learning slowley dan

p.s spookey wot did u mean by this comment....

Note that one item I found useful was to know that SATA 1 and 2 are not locked whereas SATA 3 and 4 are.

locked? in wot way and why is this good?

thx m8
    I am no expert in this being new to A64 ocing myself. My understanding is that if you use sata 1 and/or 2 when ocing, then that sata bus is oced too - like the agp bus if it is not locked. Using sata 3 and/or 4 it is locked and so not affected by ocing. Seems if you need to use more than 3 and 4 then ocing is problematic. It helped me because it was that which was stopping my oc!

Mind that being said, initially I got 2400 on the stock fan played UT FarCry etc with no problems for hours. Great thought I, better cooling and 2600 is on! But, the next day, I could not get 2400 without crashing. Bugger! I had to cut back to 2200 - still that's a 3500 for less. What the cause was I have not got a clue. Does burnin burnout? I am hoping that better cooling and a new psu will help. Currently my old Enermax 350 is at its limit. I'l try an XP-90 heatsink and an Enermax 470watt.

Registered+
    Thanks
    i have experienced the same prob spokey, i could oc to 2500 for 1 2 hours testing etc nps then went out for few hours and wen i ruterned i was getting 2300 but i m pretty sure that my mem was causeing this as in tests the mem seemed to struggle over 216 fsb so there fore i m pretty sure that it was unstable at 2500 mhz as it was up to 226 - 230 fsb.

so im looking into some nice new pc4400 but have no idea wot to go for atm

Thread Information