Thread: Mix between quietness and OC

Thanks

Mix between quietness and OC

Hi guys, i am building a PC soon, and thinking of this spec :

AMD 3000 90nm 4rm overclockers @£93+vat

A8V Deluxe REV 2 (wireless or not, my dad has a wifi laptop i think it could help him if i could setup wireless internet if i bridge wired lan and wireless lan?)
    4rm overclockers @£68.50/£74.50 +vat

GeIL 512MB (2x256MB) PC4000 Ultra Platinum CAS2.5 4rm overclockers @ £79.95+VAT

rest of the parts :
    120GB seagate baraccuda HDD, thermalright xp120, forton 400/420WATT atx rev 2 psu, cheap £9 case which looks amzing(trust me !), wired keyboard, graphic tablet and a 17" TFT cheapest monitor.

The questions are
    which gfx to go for
    Evesham 6800 @ £169 with artic cooler or xfx 6600GT ????
    1 120mm silent fan with less than 20dba ??
    well i need your advice for the following
    I am hoping to get this in the 850-950 range, the cheaper the better and look to o/c it to 3500/3800 speeds. also if it could be quiet that would be good.
    cheers
    speedyyy

Thanks
    Right seems a nice setup

Consider 1GB instead of 512MB cos you really will notice a difference between em and consider some PC3200 using TCCD w/BrainPower PCB. (PQI Ultra Memory PC3200 for example)

A Decent case makes a difference and makes life easier (do you have a pic of it?)

A decent PSU makes a lot of difference and is the best purchase you can make and the Tagan 480w is about the best you can get for a decent price.
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Registered+
    Thanks
    In regard to cooling the CPU quietly, I would recommend the Zalman CNPS7000B either in copper or the copper/aluminium versions (the latter being a bit cheaper) - they both have a 92mm fan and come with a Fanmate2 controller as standard which can vary the fan speed (and thus the amount of noise the fan produces) . The CNPS7700 has just come out as well which has a 120mm fan but I haven't seen this for sale anywhere yet... you could also go for the Scythe Samurai which also comes with a fan speed controller on a pci backplate. This is fairly cheap and can be had at www.scan.co.uk for about £21 I think

Thanks
    thanks for suggestions
    Firelord : isn't forton a good make ?, i have heard they make psu's for antec or someone, i will consider tagan though, as i am going to o/c wouldn't PC4000 better, as than 250FSB is kind of easy to get, 1GB goes out of budget, i could upgrade later though, as i only play games occasionally, and do some dreamweaver/photoshop i *think* 512mb of fast memory would be alright.
    Spurskin:thanks for the reply, but i want to get 120mm fan as it would be relatively quiter, so i opted for a8v deluxe rather than mso k8neo2, as msi can't take xp120.

please keep the comments coming.

Thanks
    CASE
    Have a look at the Jeantech Phoong case only £29
    2 x 120mm Case fans
    Side fan speed control
    Internal side air duct
    http://www.caseclosed.co.uk/jeantech_phong_gall.htm

FANS
    Have a look at panaflo - with speed control the db won't be an issue
    http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/
    Alternatively - Noiseblocker & Luxotop although I think Panaflo have the better bearings and better value
    http://www.whispertec.com/Fans.htm

POWERSUPPLY
    Take a look at the Enermax Noistaker 470w since it is one of the best for efficiency. Inefficiency = heat and requires cooling so the higher the efficiency the easier it is to cool and the quieter it will be. The new fanless PSU are 85-86% efficient and this is the main reason they are capable of fanless operation. The enermax iirc is 82% efficient which means the temperature controlled fans will run minimum RPM below 50% load.
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...712&GroupID=0l

Thanks
    cheers,
    case looks VERY nice unlike the price which is a bbbbbbbbit high, have a look at this though
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=63769
    fan yes, thats perfect hope it is compatible with thermalright xp120
    power supply is good, but just wondering 2*80mm fan would make a lot of noise won't they ?

Thanks
    You buy the most expensive CPU air cooler and pair it with one of the cheapest cases is perhaps not such a good thing. What do you know about the case? Does it have good airflow? The case is of equal importance as the CPU cooler because if the case temps are high the CPU cooler cannot work efficiently. Try to balance your choices with the same total cost. Consider the thermalright XP-90 + Jeantech Phoong + 480W Thermaltake PSU... pretty good balance of performance, noise and value.

Antec have tried to do this noise/performance balance already with the Antec Sonata case & PSU so worth checking it out. I think ebuyer have them but google for reviews if not.
    Last edited by ed^chigliak; 17-11-2004 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    i understand what u saying !, btw how is hiper power supply, and akasa ?How much watt do u think i need, i checked in the power supply calculator and say i needed 320Watts, i dunno about ocing though. I am still looking for suggestions, 6600Gt ot 6800??? no nforce 4 coz they are VERY exp cheapest boards more than £100 :/

Thanks
    and memory is Geil allright, links to any good overclocking memory(2*256) welcomed pls pls need ur help,

Thanks

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    Except it's out of stock (typical PCWorld). But if you can get hold of it at that price it looks a real bargain.

PSU - don't think any further than Tagan.

According to Anandtech all the low latency PC3200s OC like crazy, but the best two are OCZ and Crucial.

Thread Information