Thread: PSU question

Thanks

PSU question

i have a 300watt PSU. i smelt burning earlier on, and when i shut down and investigated, the power lead to my Floppy drive had melted!

i have 2 120 Gig hard drives, 1 dvd rom, 1 ati radeon 9800 AIW with a coolmaster heatsink.....and 3 case fans. it is an Amd 2400+ cpu. did this happen due to the PSU not being sufficiant? should i buy a 400 watt/450 watt?

any views would be appreciated

thanks

raggio

Thanks
    and a foppy drive obisouly!

raggio

Thanks
    Its more likely there was a fault in the floppy drive rather than not enough power. But if it makes you feel safer then get a new psu

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    it might have been the PSU....but you do need to check if their was any stray things in your PC that might have shorted it out? Has it been moved in the last couple of days? Was it lying on it's side when it happened?

I'd have to disagree a bit with Kumagoro (sorry dude.....you are a top member so pls dont be offended) cos if a cheap PSU gives an inconsisitent voltage, it could well "spike" and overheat a power lead. If it was just the Floppy, then you are one lucky dude

Yes....I'd strongly recommend a new PSU....from a good brand name. There are LOTS of threads about PSU's on Hexus SO BEFORE asking the same again, have a quick scroll down this forum and see what people say. Its not the number on the side....the ratings are often mis leading...its the quality that counts. Either way....300W is a low model for the stuff you run anyway. About 400-500W from a good brand will be best. And please dont run a mile if the price is £50. It WILL be a good investment.

I'm starting to sound like Agent,( but not as clever as him). Oh well....its me benefiting from him being bright...its him who is being sallowed by me following him around

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Uh i just wrote something and it went wrong god damn. anyway Zak i dont never take offence especially when its valid advice.

Bellyboy probabably best to get a new psu but in the mean time dont worry about using your comp too much and dont chuck it either its good to have a test psu.

Thanks

Thanks guys

i wont throw it away, im making a new PSU my top priority, lucky i smelt the burning before anything else melted, it is definatley just the floppy power lead melted, others are fine, but it will have to wait....my ati 9800 AIW just knackered on my best machine......and i just bought a Gainward golden sample 6800GT (£335), ouch........my wallet will definatley feel that in the morning!!!

thanks again guys

raggio

Thread Information