Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hl 2 what system do i need

we'll see about that... alterion's Avatar
    Thanks

Hl 2 what system do i need

i am getting a new system at the moment but i thought id ask the BIG question for me. what do i NEED to be able to play hl2 at around 60fps with all the settings on max and full aa and filtering... is 1 gig of ram essential? what is the lowest priced GPU that will run this. my system is coming in at around £930 at the moment. i have on the specs- 6800gt amd 64 winchester 3200+ 512 mb geil value. Do people think that going pci-e is good or should i take advantage of lower prices and go AGP. thanks. we could also expand this thread into a general hl2 specs thread as i guess i'm not the only one who is geting a new rig on a budget who want's to play this game

Thanks
    For that system, 1Gb of RAM is a must - otherwise it would drag the whole system down.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, I can play Half Life II at 1600x1200, 8AA, 16AF, all settings on max. So, gig of decent RAM (It is a must, yes), overclock that GT, get some decent cooling (air colling, nothing more needed, but something decent like an XP-120 and a decent 120mm fan) and OC the CPU to, say 2.5-2.6ghz, like most of the Winchster cores have been doing, and the jobs a good 'un.

ATi cards are running Half Life II better at the mo, the gap will close as Nvidia release drivers to close the gap, but like Doom III will always run better on Nvidia, you can expect Half Life II to always run better on ATi.

Its not actaully that demanding a game, specwise - any of the big 4 GPUs (X800pro, X800XT, 6800GT, 6800Ultra), a nice 64bit overclockable CPU and a gig of decent RAM and it'll fly. I had more trouble getting Doom III and FarCry running super smooth on the highest settings.

Thanks
    I would also reccomend the 1Gb of RAM, but everything else looks pretty good to me. As for AGP vs PCI-E, not even the best graphics cards are utilising all of the agp8x speed so AGP would not cause any slower performance. However if you want to upgrade in the future PCI-E is the way to go as AGP will soon be phased out.

Thanks
    ok it looks like i'll hve to bite the bullet and get a gig of ram. However i so far have not been able to squeeze it into my budget so i may buy 512 mb and then upgrade once i'm up and running and have earnt a bit more

Thanks
    the only problem with buying ram modules seperately is that they are not guaranteed to run in dual channel mode. I would recommend getting 1Gb of ram and a slightly slower processor, and just overclock the processor to the speed you were going to get - or higher.

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy!!!
    the only problem with buying ram modules seperately is that they are not guaranteed to run in dual channel mode.
    This may be true, but ive never herd of someone NOT being abl to run 2 sticks of the same brand, same model ram together..

Thanks
    Although it is rare it does happen sometimes, i think anyway. The memory modules on the RAM are sometimes made by different manufacturers, or the company that makes the RAM modules might change etc.

I would still recommend getting 1Gb of RAM. It has become pretty much the norm nowadays if you are into gaming. If you decide to go with 512 you may get stuttering and unsmooth game play in HL2, Doom 3 and Far Cry.

Thanks
    the problem i have with buying sticks at the same time is that a stick of giel value ram costs £55 but i can only save £30 by going for the 3000+ processor. Mind you im not getting the system for sevral weeks yet but thought it best to plan ahead (only have 700 at the mo need 930). If i buy branded geil value (heard good stuf about this ram) ramin two lots presumably i would be able to avoid compatability problems

Thanks
    alterion: If you list all the things you need to buy we can all help you find them for as cheap as possible, or better products for a cheaper price if you want.

Thanks
    ok so here is what i have so far:Graphics card 6800 gt £256.98
    Processor 64 3200 + 131.59
    Ram 512 geil value 55
    Motherboard 80
    Hard drive 120gig –not worried so long as it’s a decnt size 45
    DVD rom drive 14.99
    Case and power supply 45 jeantec phong and 400W jeantec or antec case w 350W
    Screen 210.31
    OS- xp home OEM 57.53
    Delivery 25ish
    Cabels and stuff… what do I need??

i have foud all of these ofr around these prices.. But i now thinking of getting a 6800nu and 1gig of ram from reading your comments.. this would also allow me to budget in decont prephirals other than using stuff off an old gateway p166? decisions.. decisions

Large Member
    Thanks
    HL2 is very easy on the specs, FarCry and Doom 3 are much more intensive. For example, on full details, 4xAA and 8xAF, 1280x960 it never dips below 30 fps on my 2500+, 1GB RAM, 9800Pro. Make sure you get 1GB of RAM however, coupled with a 6800GT and really no matter the CPU, HL2 will fly.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    I was suprised by the needs of HL2, I have:

Shuttle SN45G
    Barton 3200+ CPU
    1GB Twinmos Dual Channel PC3200
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
    Audigy 2
    L1710B TFT Monitor

It runs with all settings on full and looks great (only with 4 x AA and 4 x AF) It runs at smoothness that I have never seen a game with such graphics. By the way what doe verticle sync do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander
    By the way what doe verticle sync do?

It syncs the video to your monitor so the images to apeare to be tearing...

Large Member
    Thanks
    If you can't understand the previous post, it synchronizes the framrate to your monitors refresh rate, so that images will not tear.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    Mind my newness, what does tear do? Does it take alot of GPU stuff up? Will it decrease my framerate? My monitor is a an LG 1710B TFT, should i enable it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information