• TT DPS G 850w
      • Case:
      • TT Water 3.0 Extreme S
      • Operating System:
      • win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS 24"

Thumbs down SteelSeries APEX Keyboards are all faulty

I have always wanted a light up KB... when I first saw this I thought it would be really cool.. It claims to be able to light up any of the 16.8 million colors. Wrong... it actually cant. I found this out on day one. I tried to set all the "zones" to the preset Orange color (not the color picker, the preset.. so all are set to the exact same orange) Well, the KB and Numpad area dont match the other zones. They are yellow and not Orange. Well, I contacted SteelSeries about it (this is on 7/31/2013) and opened a ticket. I was told I could send it back (and pay to ship it!) No way... this is faulty, I shouldnt have to pay. This went back and forth for a long while, till they decided to just send me another one. Guess what? it does the same thing. So I again contacted them and told them how to reproduce the issue. This is when they admitted that its a hardware fault that affects almost ALL of the APEX keyboards! They then said they would be fixing it and would let me know when so I could get a WORKING one. That was in December. They have since closed my ticket and refuse to reply to me. So, be warned, none of the APEX KB's work correctly. Some of you might be thinking.. so what? its just a color? If I didnt care, I would have paid far less for a BETTER keyboard. I paid for a KB that claimed to light any color, I wanted it to be orange (there are other colors that dont work either). want proof? Here: set all zones to FFFF6400. They dont match.. FF0080FF... nope... FFFF0080 ... nope... these KB's are junk. - PS, the macros are junk too.. if you set a timed macro string of keys... the ENTIRE KB is locked while the macro runs. that defeats the purpose!!

** The image shows the keyboard with all "zones" set to FFFF6400 (not from the color picker, but set to the hex code). As you can see, thats not orange... not even close

So... If you have an APEX, please try those colors. You will see.. then contact them! Spread the word! They are ripping people off by selling a known faulty product! I was told in December they were fixing this, I have since been trying to get a simple update... now not only are they ignoring me, they have BLOCKED ME from their FB page! So, I am now making sure that all apex owners know about this and any new potential customers dont buy it!

2. Received thanks from:

csgohan4 (12-07-2014)

Thread Information