Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installed new graphics card, now CPU is too hot.

  1. #1
    hexus.zombeh! format's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Strath Uni, Glasgow
    Posts
    2,747
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked
    179 times in 131 posts
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

    Installed new graphics card, now CPU is too hot.

    Hi Hexus,

    Long time no post!

    Today I installed a EVGA GTX560 2GB card, replacing my rather old GTX260. It appeared to all go fine, with MSI afterburner reporting that the cards average temp is around 40 at idle. This is quite a bit cooler than the last card which used to sit around 55 and would go up to 100 under load.

    However, when I booted up my PC this evening I noticed that the CPU was too hot, sitting around 75 idle. I adjusted all the case fans and CPU fans upwards which brought the temp down to around 50 or so, but I'm worried that having them up fully all the time won't be good for them. I'm also concerned about what might happen under load.

    Given that the only thing that has changed is the card, and that appears to be running very cool, I can't figure out why the processor is now so warm.

    Any tips?

    Much obliged.
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley




  2. #2
    Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,013
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    280 times in 242 posts
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

    Re: Installed new graphics card, now CPU is too hot.

    The only things I can think of are first checking that you haven't knocked one of the CPU cooler clips off so it is not seated properly and to check that you don't have a big dust build up on the cooler itself.

  3. #3
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Installed new graphics card, now CPU is too hot.

    It could also be because the GTX260 had a blower type cooler and the GTX560TI does not.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  4. #4
    hexus.zombeh! format's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Strath Uni, Glasgow
    Posts
    2,747
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked
    179 times in 131 posts
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

    Re: Installed new graphics card, now CPU is too hot.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    The only things I can think of are first checking that you haven't knocked one of the CPU cooler clips off so it is not seated properly and to check that you don't have a big dust build up on the cooler itself.
    Okay, the cooler is properly seated and I have cleaned the case out. It wasn't the worst case in terms of dust that I've ever seen but it wasn't great. Hopefully that'll help.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    It could also be because the GTX260 had a blower type cooler and the GTX560TI does not.
    THe two designs look pretty similar. Both have a fan facing into the case and a slot at the back which appears to expel hot air.

    I will monitor temps overnight and report back. Maybe getting rid of the dust has helped.


    If that all fails I could just buy a high RPM case fan and add that to the mix, I suppose.
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley




  5. #5
    jim
    jim is online now
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,354
    Thanks
    606
    Thanked
    1,593 times in 1,267 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Installed new graphics card, now CPU is too hot.

    What were the temps like on the CPU previously?

    Are they definitely expelling air in the same manner? I've had a lot of trouble with my mATX case because any cards that don't expel heat out of the back (i.e. those with aftermarket coolers that just indiscriminately hurl air around the case) cause the whole thing to heat up very, very quickly.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    6 times in 5 posts
    • carvedeye's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Z69 Extreme4 Gen3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3.3ghz @4.8 ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig (2 x 4 gig) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 1 tb, 1 x 320 gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 780 Lightning LE 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Hyper Type R 850 watt
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAFX 942
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" samsung SyncMaster 223bw
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

    Re: Installed new graphics card, now CPU is too hot.

    Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    Hi Hexus,

    Long time no post!

    Today I installed a EVGA GTX560 2GB card, replacing my rather old GTX260. It appeared to all go fine, with MSI afterburner reporting that the cards average temp is around 40 at idle. This is quite a bit cooler than the last card which used to sit around 55 and would go up to 100 under load.

    However, when I booted up my PC this evening I noticed that the CPU was too hot, sitting around 75 idle. I adjusted all the case fans and CPU fans upwards which brought the temp down to around 50 or so, but I'm worried that having them up fully all the time won't be good for them. I'm also concerned about what might happen under load.

    Given that the only thing that has changed is the card, and that appears to be running very cool, I can't figure out why the processor is now so warm.

    Any tips?

    Much obliged.
    When was the last time you actully cleaned the heatsink and fan? When did you last apply some fresh thermal paste?
    Case:Coolermaster HAF X 942 - Motherboard:AsRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    CPU:i5 2500k @ 4.8 ghz - Cooler:Corsair H100
    GFX:MSI GTX 780 Lightning LE 3gb - RAM:8 gig Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ
    OS: Win7

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •