Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my new chip!

Thanks

Unhappy Help me with my new chip!

I got one of those JUIHB 1700 xp chips, I've slapped it in my mobo and hit a few problems.

First off the mobo won't recognise the chip and comes up as unknown.

Second, it won't clock. I can set the multiplier up to x15 in bios but it reads at x11 on every boot.

I've got an Epox KHA with the kt266 chipset.

Any ideas how to get this chip going quicker?

It's replaced an 1800 XP which I could ramp up, so I'm befuddled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    does it boot if you reset the cmos as standard?

Thanks
    Boots fine everytime, on default bios and optimized bios settings.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    have you updated the bios?

Thanks
    Try a BIOS upgrade - sometimes req. to recognise a T'bred CPU esp. on KT266 chipset boards.

The 1800XP may have been a Palomino.

Someone correct me if I am talking you know what

EDIT - Just beaten to it LOL

Thanks
    Bugger, didnt want to mess about with bios updates... they scare me more than an overouged lady boy advancing with a wicked smile and a tube of lube.....

Oh well, its gotta be worth a go.

If I dont check in in 3 hrs, I've buggered it up.

Thanks
    Can the kt266 chipset un-lock T'bred's I thought not.

Early NF2 boards had problems with getting above 12.5 multiplier with chips that are defaulting to below 12.5.

Only way round at least one of the problems above is to hard mod it to 15 (which if it's a old style chip is so easy)

Edit Thinking about it, I doubt you want 15 multiplier unless you want to run at a modest fsb for some reason..........either way its just as easy to mod to other multipliers
    Last edited by M@tt; 10-09-2003 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    does the pc boot ok if what does it say that its running at?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Woaah......slow up dudes.

You really dont want that Multiplier going up to 15 anyway.

His old chip WAS a Palomino and therefore that chip would have needed "unlocking"

Getting the multipliers to go above 12.5 is not needed.

All we gotta do is see if a newer BIOS will allow it to unlock it. If not, it might be time for a new mobo.

Either way, its no problem...just dont go getting him to paint it with heated rear window paint. ...not yet

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Originally posted by Zak33

Either way, its no problem...just dont go getting him to paint it with heated rear window paint. ...not yet
    You don't need paint with a XP1700 or XP2500 (unless you make a big mistake)

Just one of these

Thanks
    Well, bios is updated! now to see if I can do anything with this chip.

Back in abit.. geddit? 'abit'... ho ho ho

Thanks
    as its a kt266 mobo, you are restricted to multipliers under 13x with that cpu.
    there is a certain bridge that you need to connect to allow multipliers over 13x (nope i cant remember which one).

as for the 11x thing, its obviously just resetting to default when it realises it cant do the 15x.

Thanks
    Yay! Showing as a 1900XP at 12x multiplier!

Whoot!

Gotta go get the sprog now, gonna have a play with this when I get back.

Suggestions for settings? (FSB and multiplier)

Ooh, and those memory timing thing, what should they be put to?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    12.5 should be a breeze giving XP2000+ equivalent (actual speed 1662 mghz ie 12.5x133 fsb) 12.5 will be the maximum
    Then run 3dmark a few times to stretch it make sure its stable.

Next thing is for you to see if that memory will go faster than 133.....its DDR 266 so officially PC2100......what we need is PC2700 ie 166 DDR (333)

drop the multiplier to LOWER than default (ie about 10x)

then we have it running as a 1333 speed......now as we KNOW the chip will do over 1600 we just up the FSB bus by 5 at a time....

and then reboot, run 3dmark etc and see if the memory is BETTER than its rated.

If it is, then you gotta watch the AGP and PCI speeds, cos on that Mobo you might have to use a different PCI and AGP divider.

PCI runs 33 mghz
    AGP runs 66 mghz
    Your EIDE run at 100 mghz (ATA 100/EIDE 100)

When the FSB goes up on an older mobo, so does the other stuff....by the same percentage....some components benefit from a slightly higher speed, others HATE it.....some sound cards go loopy, other times your HDD will refuse to play.

Newer mobos have all those things LOCKED with clever electronics, so you can wind up the FSB and AGP and PCI etc is still safe.

If the memory wont go high, cos its not up to the job, you can borrow some PC2700 from me and see how it goes.

Maybe the mobo wont go higher anyway..but I have hopes for Epox....they make good mobos.

You might need to up the voltage in the Memory (maybe 2.6 to 2.7v) and the core on the cpu to......but frankly its such a small overclock for that chip, the cpu default should be A OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by M@tt
    Can the kt266 chipset un-lock T'bred's I thought not.

Early NF2 boards had problems with getting above 12.5 multiplier with chips that are defaulting to below 12.5.

Only way round at least one of the problems above is to hard mod it to 15 (which if it's a old style chip is so easy)
    No mobo needs to unlock TbredB or Barton based CPUs as they are ALL unlocked by default so all you need is a mobo capable of multiplier adjustment.

The 12.5x max limitation is common to almost all mobos, they can't manipulate (or understand) the 5th FID bit. Most CPUs with a stock multiplier < 13x don't have a bridge to connect, the CPUs with a (default) multiplier over 12.5x have an extra bridge which translates into a corresponding higher multiplier (eg 5.5x becomes 13x, 7.5x becomes 15x etc). Cutting that extra bridge reverts to the lower multiplier and you should then find most mobos can then adjust it freely between 5.5x and 12.5x. Basically if the default multiplier is below 13x then there isn't a bridge you can join or cut as it's simply not present. This is from memory so I could have it a little wrong.

Deckard KT266 were designed to run 266FSB using the traditional PCI divisor. 1/4 is the highest divisor you're likely to have and this will keep PCI/AGP/IDE all in perfect spec at 266FSB. If you want to go higher 144FSB (288FSB inc DDR) is the highest you should find safe otherwise things will run too far out of spec. It will also need RAM and PCI devices happy to run at the faster speed. As always use small steps up and test throughly for stability each time. I would advise you keep stock 266FSB and up the multiplier gradually to 12.5x (the likely maximum for your mobo) and then take small steps up the FSB (again testing thoroughly). When you find your limit you should work out the limiting factor, so long as it isn't cooling (case or HSF) then you can up the core voltage but I'd suggest 1.65v as a normal maximum for TbredB with 1.70v still being very safe, just expect a LOT more heat. Be sure your HSF is up to it, perhaps consider the Volcano11 for £15. Your RAM will run faster (in mhz) if you use the higher RAM timings, low timings are only 1-2% faster anyway and that's eliminated with faster mhz. Your mobo and RAM are very likely to be the most limiting factors, the CPU should be (roughly) fine up to 2.0ghz at 1.5v-1.55v or 2.2ghz at 1.65v-1.70v.

So take it steady but expect 12.5x144=1.8ghz (XP2200+) to be the best you can expect unless you change your mobo (and probably RAM, esp if it's SDR eg PC133). If you change your mobo you could probably get that CPU to 2.2ghz with little problem and at 400FSB that would roughly be an XP3000+. You could also consider the TMC-XP socket adapater which would allow you to use very high multipliers among other things (eg 16.5x133=2.2ghz), do a search.
    Last edited by Austin; 10-09-2003 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    xp2000 speeds should be a breeze, with the new bios what fsb can you go up to deck? because if you can get 333 out of it you could get 2400 speeds or better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information