Thread: Sb83g5 or SN95g5

Thanks

Sb83g5 or SN95g5

Hey once again its time to get a new computer (just because i can and its almost my birthday) But the more i look the more i find problems with the Sn95G5, temp problems and problems with some cpu's. I have been using Amd for a while now, but i really dont have a prefrence. For almost the same price i can get a Sn95G5 and a 3000+ or a Sb83G5 and a 3.0Gz chip. iam leaning towards the Sn95G5 because once the FX chips start to fall i will proably upgrade again. But there just seems to be lots of problems with them. I know that most people dont post and say that they just bought a new computer and its working perfect. So i know there is going to be mostly bad post about new hardware. Anythoughts would be wonderful.

Thanks in Advance

Thanks
    Well thanks for all the feedback =) problem is solved i got a 9800pro on ebay for $140 and its agp so that solves that problem now i have to get the SN95 thanks =)

Thanks
    Feedback, what feedback?

Anyway, despite the hue and cry about the SN95G5, its still the best thing out there in its class or anything similar. While there are some problems, most have been worked around and I believe the worst problem, that with the dodgy temperature readings has gone by the wayside as newer CPUs are hitting the market. Its primarily a problem with the CPUs not Shuttle's parts. AMD instituted a change midstream and failed to advise their users. CPUs' from a given period of production have a tendency to have the problem. More recent ones don't seem to and Shuttle has a BIOS fix that works for most. Other problems include a whining power supply system which is also hit or miss but the only real solution other than sticking the box in its own sound insulated space is to RMA it. Also there is the issue of not recognizing certain brands of SATA drives.

Lastly, there is the problem of Shuttle service and support, which is virtually non-existent. Just be prepared to rely on the various SFF forums for help.

My little jewel has had none of the problems and runs like a top on frictionless bearings. I still have to cope with the last problem noted, but such is life. Best to rely on oneself and one's friends rather than some Corporate geek batch hatched to be incompetent and irritating.
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5
    AMD 65 3500+ . 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect 2.5 CAS
    2x120 GB Samsung SATA . Plextor 712A
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT oc . Dell 2001FP

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Thanks
    thanks for the input i put in my order today for a SN95g5, 3000+ ( money limits) 1 gig corsair xms3200 and a 9800pro ( i got a really good deal on one ) and of course some artic silver 5. should have it by saturday and ill will let you guys know how it goes. i dont expect any problems when i built my sn45 there were tons of people saying they had problems and i didnt encounter one of them. thanks for the input

Thanks
    Good on you. Hope all goes well and, yes, do let us know how it all turns out. I do suggest reviewing the manuals thoroughly before diving in. Also its a good idea to go over the chassis and components and see how each item connects and how it attaches or whatever it does to get installed. Make sure all your connections fit and work well, and all your cables are long enough. They should all be correct but you never know.

If you are going to go for a second SATA drive you need a second SATA cable that doesn't come with the kit.
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5
    AMD 65 3500+ . 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect 2.5 CAS
    2x120 GB Samsung SATA . Plextor 712A
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT oc . Dell 2001FP

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Thanks
    Was hoping that someone could give me advice on how to setup the sn95g5 to allow it to output audio via the optical or coaxil output? I have already eabled spdif output in the sound control settings, there is a red light being emitted from the optical out and i know my amp works with outher inputs.

I have read on other forums that other shuttles have a problem with the spdif output and people have resorted to buying a separate soundcard. Thanks in advance.

Was wondering if anyone else has been having this problem/issue?
    Last edited by sburlo; 07-12-2004 at 11:09 PM.

Thread Information