Thread: AIO: Community Thoughts

Thanks

AIO: Community Thoughts

So, I'm looking at setting up a home office after the New Year, and am looking at AIO PCs and can't quite decide. I want at least a 23" display with an Intel i5 or better - at least 8gb of RAM, and under a $1000.

I've looked at ASUS as I've always been a fan - but I want to hear it from real-world power users. Bear in mind this will be a home office PC, but I want it to last for at least 5-7 years and have some upgradability.

Thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: AIO: Community Thoughts

For me, the need for AIO is kind of countering the "last for at least 5-7 years and have some upgradability."

5-7 years for an AIO is pushing it IMO. Something will probably break in that time and the parts could very well be hard, if not impossible, to source. Upgradability will probably be limited to RAM. You also pay a premium for AIO.

It doesn't seem like a wise move IMO bt if you are still looking at AIOs, the dell optiplex AIOs are fairly decent, although I would never expect one to last 7 years.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Honestly? If you want 5 - 7 years with upgradability I wouldn't touch an AIO with a barge pole. Any particular reason you're veering in that direction? If size is a serious concern I'd go for something like a NUC or a Gigabyte Brix and replace it every few years, but really you should be thinking mATX, nice small case, and proper desktop components.

I'm not really up on US pricing & taxes, but going for an entry level non-k i5 in a basic B or H series motherboard isn't going to break the bank and will give you far better upgradability then an AIO. Also don't discount AMD; I don't think there are many (any?) AIOs with AMD components but going for a basic mATX desktop brings the A8-7600 into the picture too, and that's a great value processor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robluck82 View Post
    although I would never expect one to last 7 years.
    Why not? It's a desktop, so it's not likely to get any of the physical stress that often kills laptops and all the components are made in exactly the same way.

@robluck82: Hexus is a UK site so you need to tell us which dollars they are and what your local market is (as taxes etc. vary) if you want suggestions that stick your budget rather than models in the right vague area.

Also, can you be more specific about the minimum performance and/or features you require of the CPU? Different all in ones use chips from different line-ups, so a low power dual core mobile i5 is an entirely different proposition from a standard power desktop i5.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    ... It's a desktop, so it's not likely to get any of the physical stress that often kills laptops and all the components are made in exactly the same way. ...
    No it's not - at least not in a conventional sense. It's a custom built, enclosed space built directly onto the back of a monitor; many AIOs use laptop components to aid in the integration. It's subject to much higher thermal issues than even a NUC/mini pc, because it has to deal with the heat generated by the monitor it's attached to more directly, and it makes for very little customisation or upgradability. And if it comes time to upgrade, or if something does go wrong with it outside of warranty, you not only have to buy a new PC but a new monitor as well, because it's all built in.

In fact it's much more like a laptop; which, lets be honest, the vast majority of people never take out of their house, and some never even leave a desk. I would never recommend a laptop for someone looking for an upgradeable machine to last 5 - 7 years, and for the same reasons I wouldn't recommend an AIO either.

Thanks

The only thing that I can think of that gets remotely near to some of your criteria is building your own.

Wait, hear me out. There are a few cases that people do, Gigabyte and Intel come to mind. The Gigabyte one is a 24 inch 1080p touchscreen with, essentially, a mini ITX enclosure on the back. It may have a restriction with PSUs having to be outside the case, the Intel one did, if memory serves. A quick search for DIY All in one PC should show you some options.

I've been tempted to build one of these myself, but I already have one mITX project on the go and don't even have the space for that, so convincing my wife to let me build another PC would be... difficult.

Good luck and please do let us know if you come up with a good solution.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

IIRC, there are some mini itx cases that can be mounted on the back of a monitor using the VESA mounting holes. Might be useful if you are looking at saving space, so you have most of the benefits of an integrated system, and few of the drawbacks.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I think you can mount some of the Silverstone cases, RVZ and ML, if memory serves.

It's probably a better solution than an all in one, you'd have much better ability to upgrade then.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    IIRC, there are some mini itx cases that can be mounted on the back of a monitor using the VESA mounting holes. Might be useful if you are looking at saving space, so you have most of the benefits of an integrated system, and few of the drawbacks.
    Intel NUCs come with a VESA mounting plate for that very purpose, and are very well made. Were I looking at something like an AIO now, that would be my first port of call. Screen fails, just get another one with VESA mounting holes. NUC components fail, replace the failed part or buy another NUC.

Thanks

All - thanks for your replies! Really appreciate your insight!

I should provide some more context. My current Dell Inspiron 1500 (i think) laptop has served me well for well over 10 years now, what with having been drop kicked and the like at least a few times during that span. The reason for the AIO platform is simply due to space restrictions and cleanliness (fewer wires) which are a necessity for my (she'll admit) OCD wife.

The mITX cases that mount to the VESA holes are VERYYYY intriguing and I'm going to investigate that now. Thanks a million for that recommendation - of course I'd rather build than buy, just didn't know that option was out there!

Thread Information