Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So...Oculus Rift

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: So...Oculus Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Why would the refresh rate of 120hz make a difference?

More frames = smoother motion and less lag from human response to computer/screen response.

Thanks

The motion was smooth as silk, I believe it is 75hz anyway and there was no lag that I could detect.
    Jon

Thanks

I am bumpng this thread because it is the last Oculus thread created that is not in the news section and I'd like to discuss experience now that I had briefly had a go with it.

A local internet cafe had the Dev Kit 2 for demo and I just had a go 30min ago. Only spent a few min with it because there were other people wanting to try so it's a very brief impression.

1. First thing I noticed when I put the headset on, is that it was a bit blurry. I am not sure if it's because there is an adjustment period or there is a setting I didn't see (maybe for glasses users or something).

2. The headset tracks my head movements perfectly. That was pretty sweet.

3. Immersion is there. Quite honestly as far as first person view goes, this beat big monitors, triple monitors and even projectors.

4. The 3D (depth perception) is convincing to me.

5. The resolution is nowhere there. Not sure if it's the screens resolution or the app they were running, but it did feel a bit like setting very near a TV.. with more depth perception.

Overall, it's not something I'd buy this generation but I do hope that this technology will keep advancing because I can see it work. Out of curiosity, someone mentioned that the commercial version has higher resolution. How much improvement does it make, to anyone who has tried both?

Thanks

Don't forget the DK2 has been superseded by the consumer version now which has a higher resolution and 360 degree tracking.

As for the blurry vision yes it can be adjusted, can't remember the exact placement but you can adjust the focus completely.

The higher resolution makes a big difference, I don't have the consumer version but I have used it and it certainly makes a big difference overall.

At the moment there are a few 3D headsets doing the rounds, Oculus, Vive, Sony's one. I am waiting for prices to drop and to see if there is a clear leader or a single adopted standard.
    Jon

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Wait for HMD with 4k resolution, 3rd gen most likely. The GPU power needed and the resolution of the headsets isn't there yet. The have the rest on point but the graphical prowess needs another generation or two.

Thanks

Yeah, I am thinking of waiting at least 3 generations (it's not just the hardware but also the software that make good use of the hardware). While I am not in a hurry, it has definitely picked my interest.

Thread Information