Thread: Problem with keyboard going crazy

Thanks

Question Problem with keyboard going crazy

Hi all, I got a weird problem with my keyboard that’s been driving me mental. What happens is that my keyboard left portion stops responding. Tapping any of the `123456 and wasd keys instead causes a spamming of `123456 keys, non stop. So when I press perhaps W once, I get all those letters being spammed.

When I open word or notepad to see whats going on, I press one of these buttons on the left side of the keyboard and it just Spams non stop without any of my input. Sometimes I get a message that the CTRL button is being held down which is not the case.

Restarting the computer once does not solve the issue, nor does unplugging the keyboard as after a restart or replugging, if I attempt to type anything, I get that random gibberish again. The only way to ‘solve’ it is to turn my computer off and leave it like that for an hour then turn it back on again.

So far it only happens once or twice a month randomly for the past 3-4 months and so far it only happens when I played two games, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and Star Wars The Old Republic. When it happens though its exasperating like anything as I have to apologise to my friends/teammates and just pull out of the raid/battle. After that I can’t do anything for like an hour before I turn my computer back on.

Now I only built this system late last year and apart from this stupid problem, everything works fine. Every bit of hardware has the latest drivers/firmware etc.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    1000W Cooler Master
    Asus P8Z77 WS
    Intel I5 3570k
    16GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
    Asus GTX 760
    512GB OCZ Vertex 4 M 2.5" SSD
    WD Caviar Greens and a Black for storage
    Logitech G430 for sound, or I plug speakers to the mobo.
    Logitech G400s for the mouse
    Keyboard is a Armaggeddon Stealth Raptor MKA-7 Mechanical Keyboard or Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2014.

Now, I was given the Armageddon keyboard as a gift from a friend last year as he always knew I wanted a mechanical keyboard and it worked fine for months until early this year, when the symptoms above started happening. I then bought the Razer keyboard last month because I thought the Arma keyboard might be acting up. However, the same problem persisted with the Razer one also. Before I started using these mechanical keyboards, I was using a bog standard ps/2 keyboard that had no problems.

Now I’ve been doing my homework and was looking at what might be the problem. In terms of drivers, it seemed that the Logitech Gaming Software that’s used by my headset and mouse, generates a virtual keyboard HID that cannot be disabled under device managers. This might cause conflict with an actual keyboard that I’m using though I’m not sure this might be the cause.

The Arma keyboard has its drivers and the Razer one has Razer Synapse but given that the problem it only happens once in a blue moon, I don’t think they are causing the problem, if they are, I would be getting keyboard going crazy everyday.

There is the possibility that the Asus USB ports might be the problem but in normal usage, if I plug anything in them, they work fine and I have no way of checking if they have a problem. I used an old usb mouse to plug into each port as a test to see if they work and all of them can pick up the mouse and it works.

The thing that gets me is I cannot ‘reliably’ replicate the problem else I would be able to suss out the problem myself. It has so far only happened 4 times, twice in SWTOR and twice in Sup Com (those are the two games I spend most of my free time on). Like I stated before it seems to randomly happen once every few weeks.

I even thought it might be a windows problem as windows does have history with weirdness happening, so I formatted my SSD and reinstalled a fresh windows 7 on top, updated it, the whole gamut etc. I did not transfer any drivers/settings or anything from my old computer except for documents etc. The problem reoccurred 2 nights ago, so its not Windows 7 fault.

I’m hoping one of you forumites might have encountered similar issue to this in the past, as all my google-fu has turned out solutions for Laptop keyboards or damaged ones, not for ‘working’ desktop keyboards. Thanks for any help, I’m truly exasperated here.

I would include my DXDiag but I don't know how to attach a file to this post and its too long to post in its entirety.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Problem with keyboard going crazy

Are you plugging the keyboards into the USB 3.0 ports?
    Is windows installed in BIOS or EFI mode?

I actually have the exact same motherboard and have had keyboard issues in the past but oddly not with this motherboard.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

Have you tried the keyboard on another PC just to make sure it is not the keyboard(s)?

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

I had a similar issue one and found out that one of my sprogs spilt juice on it. I only found out when I took it to bits and it was all sticky inside.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Are you plugging the keyboards into the USB 3.0 ports?
    Is windows installed in BIOS or EFI mode?

I actually have the exact same motherboard and have had keyboard issues in the past but oddly not with this motherboard.
    I've only used the keyboards on the USB 2 ports.

I don't understand your question regarding bios EFI. I installed my windows from a DVD by setting the computer to boot from DVD first and installing first, before booting from the new installation on SSD

Have you tried the keyboard on another PC just to make sure it is not the keyboard(s)?
    Yes, I got my laptop close to me, when the keyboard goes berserk, I plug it into the laptop, its fine, when I plug it back into the desktop PC, I get gibberish

I had a similar issue one and found out that one of my sprogs spilt juice on it. I only found out when I took it to bits and it was all sticky inside.
    No kids, at most I might have a dust problem but I've looked at the ports and given them a puff, they don't seem to be 'off'.

Thanks for the suggestions though

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by planeswalker View Post
    I don't understand your question regarding bios EFI. I installed my windows from a DVD by setting the computer to boot from DVD first and installing first, before booting from the new installation on SSD
    EFI is a new replacement for the old PC BIOS. Your board supports it but depending on how the install media booted, we decide on what mode Windows is installed in. EFI basically removes a lot of legacy stuff. You can tell what mode your in by opening Disk Management and looking at the partitions on your Windows drive. If your Windows was install in EFI mode, you should see an EFI partition and a recovery partition.

If Windows isn't in EFI mode, I would consider reinstalling it in EFI mode which may need some BIOS settings changed and making sure you chose "EFI: CDROM" instead of "CDROM" to boot from.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Nope, don't have that, only a 100 mb system reserved taken up by my SSD.

Thanks

Actually I had another thought, one of my friends reminded me that Asus Mobos keep their USB ports active even though the computer is offline and I was theorising that maybe its a build up of charge in the keyboards? As this only tends to occurs every few weeks.

Thread Information