Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fractal Design, Node 804 Chassis & Kelvin S24 Cooler Build/Mini-Review, Updated 01/09

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Fractal Design, Node 804 Chassis & Kelvin S24 Cooler Build/Mini-Review

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    Saracen, apologies mate it was intended as a bit of light hearted humour/banter between fellow competition winners and not a serious comment as I think you've taken it. No Hexus member deserves to win more than you for the years of outstanding service you've given, so if you feel my post comes across as offensive and not as I meant it please delete it. Apologies once again.
    No offence taken, jim.

But the instant I got the email, the thought that this would come up crossed my mind.

I DID take yours as lighthearted (I noticed the smileys ) but nonetheless, I suspect you said jokingly what some will have thought seriously. So we might as well get it out there.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    No offence taken, jim.

But the instant I got the email, the thought that this would come up crossed my mind.

I DID take yours as lighthearted (I noticed the smileys ) but nonetheless, I suspect you said jokingly what some will have thought seriously. So we might as well get it out there.
    Phew that's a relief, all good then

Back on topic, my build is done so I will hopefully get my review up this weekend!
    Last edited by jimborae; 17-04-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Finally posted mine up
    http://forums.hexus.net/reader-revie...ml#post3462757

Was disappointed with the S24 but the case I am very happy with
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

4. Received thanks from:

DDY (02-05-2015)

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Phase 2 complete! I wanted to do a more detailed write up but I'm strapped for time these days.

Firstly, I upgraded to a GTX 980. Specifically the Inno3D Hercule3X because it has a reference board and most importantly was the cheapest GTX 980 at the time.

The choice of card was a toss up between the GTX 980, Fury and 390X. The 980 came out on top with its superior efficiency, since my goal was to build a near silent rig, the less heat I dump in to the water cooling system the better (thus quieter).

Secondly, the fun bit, the rig was plumbed with the lovely blue stuff.

CPU Block - EK Supremacy MX Acetal
    GPU Block - EK FC980 Reference Full Cover
    Rad #1 - Magicool G2 Slim 240mm
    Rad #2 - The 240mm rad pulled from the Fractal Design Kelvin S24 kit
    Rad fans - 4x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition
    Pump - Alphacool D5 (vario) VPP655n (decided not to use the DDC as seen in an earlier teaser photo)
    Res - EK D5 X-RES 140 CSQ Acetal

The only thing that I'm not too happy about are the fans, I wanted four Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans but I couldn't find them anywhere for a reasonable price. I settled for the Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans, they're supposed be good quiet radiators fans with their high static pressure, but I'm not impressed, maybe I'm too fussy. They're noisy at 12v and near silent at 5v, which is great, but the motors make a horrible whirring noise. Fortunately most of that whirring is blocked by having the rig sat under my desk, but if I were to move the machine to someplace more conspicuous, the fans will have to go.

As with cooling performance, with the four SP120 fans at 5v and D5 Vario set between speed 1 and 2, the system is near silent. Cooling an i5-2500k at 4.2GHz and a GTX980 both under simulated max load, the 2500k tops out at 58°C and the 980 at 48°C - very pleased with that.

On the side, I 3D printed two components for the build. The first is a bracket that takes up a front 120mm fan slot that the EK RES hangs on. The second is a column for the graphics card to keep it from sagging under the weight of the water block.

Picture time.

WC parts line up

GTX 980 Block'ed

CPU Block'ed too

3D Printed bracket, I would normally chuck a print like this and start again because it's poorly printed, note the gaps in the top layer. The part is still structurally sound and as no one's going to see it inside the case, I kept it. This bracket takes the place of a front 120mm fan in the RHS compartment, it provides a mounting point for the EK RES.

This shot makes me wonder why Fractal decided on a non-removable dust filter fitted to the top panel. With fans blowing up, dust isn't going to get in and a filter will only impede air flow. (filter was 'modded out' in phase 1)

RHS compartment, yeah, I still haven't bothered tidying the cables, what's the point. Note the DIY fan controller wrapped in white electrical tape and SSD sitting atop the PSU. The only fans on this side are the rad fans, cooling performance is good enough as it is - no need for any more noise makers.

LHS compartment, note the 3D printed column keeping the GTX 980 straight, the column is bolted to the chassis though a vent hole. In addition to the two rad fans, there are two front Scythe S-Flex SFF21D fans running on 5v.

Rear, if you've forgotten what a parallel port looks like.

Obligatory front-left-top photo.

I built a wooden frame for the machine to sit on, fits perfectly on top of the cable nest, much space saved.

Discreet, quiet, but hernia inducing maintenance...

Bonus photo for those still reading, the pump of the Kelvin T12/24/36 taken apart. That's a Alphacool DC-LT in there.

Well, that's my Node 804 build complete. Thanks for reading 8)
    Last edited by DDY; 01-09-2015 at 09:05 PM.

6. Received thanks from:

jimborae (01-09-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Fractal Design, Node 804 Chassis & Kelvin S24 Cooler Build/Mini-Review, Updated 0

really nice build mate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information