Thread: Shuttle SB51G and HDD and .......

Thanks

Shuttle SB51G and HDD and .......

I'm looking at installing 2 hard drives (both 7200rpm) in the SB51G. Most likely, the SB51G would be left on for very long periods. The processor I'll be using will be a standard Celeron, and graphics will be a Radeon 7000 or the onboard graphics. The PC will be used as a music server.

My concern is about the heat produced by the 2 hard drives, especially since everything is a small confined space?

Does anyone know if this should be okay?

Thanks

Shuttle SB51G and HDD and stuff...

Thanks
    The hard drives will be fine, and if you are worried they have built in SMART monitoring to check their health. I like using speedfan for this.

I have a shuttle SB61G2 with two hard drives in and they are fine, even when my system is overclocked. I use 3dsmax (animation program) and I leave my computer rendering for days with no heat problems even when the system is overclocked.

As for some people saying you might need a higher CFM fan to cope with the extra heat from the hard drives - this is not necesary. In fact I did the opposite and have a very low CFM fan. (Panaflo L1A 14dba 17cfm)

The hard drives may get slightly hotter than in a normal sized ATX computer, but they will stay way under the maximum hottness defined by the manuacturers.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks
    If I want to connect the following devices in the SB51G, which is the best way to install on the IDE bus?

One DVD Writer
    Two Hard Drives

Would I be correct in thinking that the SB51G has two IDE channels, with a total maximim of 4 drives???

Thanks

Thanks
    Yes the SB51G has two IDE channels, with a total maximum of four things you can plug into it.

For best performance you want to put the fastest things on the first IDE channel, and the slower things on the second IDE channel.

In your case you want to put the two hard drives on channel 0, and the DVDRW on channel 1.

Hope this helps!

Thread Information