Thread: Whats the difference?

Thanks

Whats the difference?

Im on the lookout for new ram and want to know if its worth paying the £40 ish difference between these 2 sets of corsair ram: TWINX1024-3200XLPRO and TWINX1024-3200XLPT. Seeing as they both claim to be happy running 2-2-2-5 latencies and 250MHz with 2.5-3-3-7 is the extra cash just to pay for the pretty flashy lights?

Thanks
    • jonathan_phang's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21)
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Misc Data Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb
    I think that youve answered your own question!!! You call the pro modules ones with "the pretty flashy lights". Seriously, it depends on what you want to do with them. Do you have a case window? Otherwise the lights would be a bit redundant already. Even if you do, I dont think you'd need them. The cheaper of the two is gonna be expensive already, but if you have the money, then i guess you can choose.

Also, do corsair actually advertise those modules as "happy with 250Mhz FSB"? I cant imagine Corsair saying that (I'm not disputing that they will) as that would stop people buying their high bandwidth memory. Anyway, If you plan on doing a lot of overclocking then thats fine, but if not then have you considered just getting cheaper but stable modules ie. Crucial?

Thanks
    The XL IS their high bandwidth memory, thus the higher price. It's just programmed with tighter timings in case you need it. It's really all about the chips themselves though. The PC3200-PC4500 etc...rating system doesn't tell the whole story.
    Last edited by StormPC; 20-12-2004 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    Hmmm, thats quite interesting. Ive got kingmax ddr500 atm, but ive never been able to get more than 246mhz stable out of that, and thats at pretty crappy timings. As ive never managed to justify spending around £200+ for my ram so far are you guys suggesting its a total waste of time with the best of the best being only fractionally better than the so-so but half the price ram? Or is it really worth spending loads of cash on ram? Should i go for tight timings on a 1gb set of pc3200-3500 sticks and ditch my 512mb kingmax pc4000 or just get another stick of that??? Ive really never thought about ram so much!

Thanks
    Whether something is "worth" it or not is highly subjective and personal. Everyone decides value for themselves.

Some memory runs better on certain platforms than others, so I'd have to know the details of your configuration and what you want to accomplish to suggest what RAM you should buy.

For example, if you are a serious overclocker who demands top performance and you are running an A64 on a K8N Neo2 I would recommend anything with TCCD that is SPD programmed with 5-2-2-2 timings @ 400MHz (PC3200 probably). TCCD is not the best choice however for some other platforms however. Also, if you are not really into extreme overclocking and you just want great performance out of your stock 3.2 GHz P4 with a raised FSB I might suggest something with a higher clock and loose timings (like PC4000 maybe).

There is a great deal of variation between motherboards and memory sticks as well, so ideally it's good to have several types of memory on hand to see what your particular setup likes best.

Whatever you do, staying away from flashing lights in your memory is a good idea. I know it's Christmas, but lights are decorations and do not belong in your memory.
    Last edited by StormPC; 21-12-2004 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Whatever you do, staying away from flashing lights in your memory is a good idea. I know it's Christmas, but lights are decorations and do not belong in your memory.
    Yup! sounds sensible! Im thinking along the lines of A64 on a K8N Neo2 type suggestions here - so i guess its pc 3200-3500, will be aiming to overclock to whatever mobo/chip and water will allow (hopefully a bit more as its winter ) - may even try one of those ocz volt boosters

So what sugestions have you got for pc3200-3500 1gb sets?

Thread Information