Thread: Warranty on i7 cpu and MSI graphics card if you don't have receipt.

Thanks

Warranty on i7 cpu and MSI graphics card if you don't have receipt.

Hi there,
    I'm interested in buying a new 4790k and a new MSI GTX 970 from someone but as they don't have proof of purchase I was wondering if the products I buy will be covered by the manufacturer warranty.

Some advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Warranty on i7 cpu and MSI graphics card if you don't have receipt.

Ummm.

Two issues there, that strike me immediately.

The first is the lack of receipt. Some hardware manufacturers (common with hard drives) base their warranty on their serial number databases, to know whether drives are in or out of warranty, so whether the absence of receipt matters or not will depend on manufacturer's policy, as per the warranty terms and conditions.

Second, it is also pretty common for warranties to be 'non-transferable', in which case, it applies to first (non-reseller) buyer only. But, not all manufacturers do that, or enforce it if they do.

In short, you need to check out the Intel and MSI warranties, because depending on what they say, and possibly what country you're in, even if you had the receipt you may not be covered by warranty.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

EVGA offer a transferable warranty if and only if the original purchaser has registered the product with them and then first buyer has to request the transfer of warranty to the second owner, at least that's how I understand the terms.

To the best of my knowledge, not many companies offer the transfer of warranty.

As for the receipt, does your friend remember where he bought the mobo and GPU from? if it was online then the proof of purchase is usually easier to track down, it not then he might be able to do it by checking through credit card receipts or bank statements, using these he will be able to work out when and where he bought them and any good retail chain (if he bought from a larger company) should be able to print duplicate receipts/invoices for him.

Thanks

I'm from England.

With Intel cpus some people are saying that the warranty is based on the FPO number if you don't have a receipt and others say that you need a receipt. Phoned up MSI but I couldn't speak to anyone as the whole thing is automated and the recording said that you get 3 years from date of purchase but didn't mention anything about needing a receipt for an RMA.

He's not my friend, I just came across a listing that he has. He says that the computer was a gift on his birthday but more than a gaming computer he needs the money. So I'm not really sure if getting a receipt from the person who bought the items is possible.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

In that case I would assume that all components come with no warranty other than the protections offered to you through Paypal/eBay for DOA items.

I would only consider buying items under those conditions if the savings were big enough for me to not be worried about having to replace any components should they fail later down the line, if the savings aren't significant enough then I would either add more to my budget or buy from lower down the range so that I can buy new without adding to my budget.

As you are asking about warranty, I'm assuming that this is something that's important to you, so while I have told what I would do, I can't really say that my approach would be the best approach for you, but in nearly all cases that I am aware of, buying pre-owned usually means buying out of warranty unless there is a warranty transfer option as mentioned above.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

When buying from a retailer, you generally have up to three possibke lines of recourse if something goes wrong :-

- Consumer Protection legislation (Ssle of Goods Act, distance selling regs, etc)
    - any warranty the retailer voluntarily offers
    - any warranty the manufacturer offers.

If you buy from a private individual, the first of those is almost non-existent. Goods must be "as dsecribed", u.e. nit musrepresented, byt that's about it. Other than that, caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.

Optional retailer policies, in my experience, rarely transfer to subsequent owners [i]but[i] since the extent and limitations on that warranty, within some minimum legal restrictions, can be oretty mych whatever the retailer wants, it's possible a retailer offered a transferable warranty. To claim on it, you'd most likely need to prove both where and when they were bought, to show that particular retailer sold them, and some use the receipt as the warranty certificate. John Lewis, I believe, do this. If so, you'd need the receipt, andceven then, it's assuming the warranty from the retailer was transferable.

That leaves the manufacturer. Some, as I said earlier, only seem to care if the drive is inside the warranty period, as defined by them, usually x years from manufacture. In which case, you're covered. Others only offer cover to the person initially buying the goods new, and require proof of purchase, which more ot less means the receipt. In which case, you're not covered.

Without hunting down and studying Intel and MSI warranties for those items, I don't know if they'd cover you or not, but in the absence of clear evidence that they do, I'd agree with KeyboardDemon and assume no cover, and only buy if the price was such that it made sense to you to take the risk.

Personally, I wouldn't. But that's largely because I see a potential for hassle, and these days, I'm sufficiently hassle-averse that I avoid, where possible, lining myself up for it. But you may judge the risk differently.

Beyond that, can't help much.

Thanks

I could have bought the cpu and gpu for £170 each which means that I would be saving ~£180 over buying both of them new. It's a significant amount considering I have a £1000 budget for the build but like you said, it's not worth the hassle.

Thanks for the advice both of you.
    I'm not going to buy from the guy.

My initial idea was just to wait until the H170 / B150 motherboards came out and pair that with a i5-6500 and R9 390 but I got excited when I saw what this person was offering.

I would thank both of you but I'm not really sure about how to do that.

Thread Information