Thread: Sb51G

Thanks

Sb51G

Hi Guys and Girls

This is my first post so I hope its on the right place.

I have just bought a SB51G shuttle and powered it with 256 mb of pc2100 184 pin and a celeron D 2.4. On puting the system together I powered it up and it instantly powered down. From my limited time building computers I have narrowed this down to one fo two things :

1.) CPU overheating
    2.) Mobo short curcuit.

Of the two I thought the first was more likely , so I took the cpu out and checked it was sitting right, placed the headtsink back over the top and strapped it down.

Initially it would power up then power down again, then I took the heatsink strap off and powered it up. It kept its power and ran, but when I plugged the monitor into the VGA slot, nothing was showing.

I have built and re built the machine and cant see anything wrong and its driving me up the wall....

any help would be gratfully apperciated, such as testI can do to narrow down the problem , find out if I have a faulty CPU / Mobo etc

Thanks In advance

Jon
    Last edited by jonnyv; 14-12-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    Just read somewhere that the SB51G doesnt support the D processor - anyone know anything about this ?

ammendment - read more and found I can flash the BIOS - that will be fun with a computer that boots when it wants to and when it does doesnt display anything
    Last edited by jonnyv; 14-12-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyv
    Just read somewhere that the SB51G doesnt support the D processor - anyone know anything about this ?

ammendment - read more and found I can flash the BIOS - that will be fun with a computer that boots when it wants to and when it does doesnt display anything
    I believe it true that the SB51G does not support the D processor.

What is the build quality of the SB51G?

Thanks
    SB51G seems to be a good solid machine, well thought out inside and looks goods from the outside

Would be all the better if it took a CELERON D.

Out of interest , where does thE fault lie in this situation :

The company that sold it me said that it support socket 478, so I bought a celeron d socket 478 and it doesnt support it. Shouldnt I have been told that it does support 478, but NOT the celeron D?
    Last edited by jonnyv; 16-12-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyv
    SB51G seems to be a good solid machine, well thought out inside and looks goods from the outside

Would be all the better if it took a CELERON D.

Out of interest , where does thE fault lie in this situation :

The company that sold it me said that it support socket 478, so I bought a celeron d socket 478 and it doesnt support it. Shouldnt I have been told that it does support 478, but NOT the celeron D?
    I do believe the Presscott and D Celeron processors do not work with the SB51G.

Thanks
    here is the support list for the SB51g

http://global.shuttle.com/Support/Su...asp?Item=SB51G

Thanks
    If I want to connect the following devices in the SB1G, which is the best way to install on the IDE bus?

One DVD Writer
    Two Hard Drives

Would I be correct in thinking that the SB51G has two IDE channels, with a total maximim of 4 drives???

Thanks

Thread Information