Thread: Gpu/Cpu rig upgrade

Thanks

Gpu/Cpu rig upgrade

Hello.Wana upgrade my rig.Got Cpu/I5 4670k(3.4 but OC on 4),gpu/gainward gtx 780 phantom glh 3gp.My diema is i buy better cpu i 7 4790k box (4gh) or u buy same grafics card and SLI or i buy asus strix gtx 980 dc2-4gb ( 300 euro more money than first 2 options).BTW my goal is fallout 4 the close i can get to ultry 1080p.Any advice?

Thanks

Re: Gpu/Cpu rig upgrade

Advice would be to stick with the CPU you have - the gains you'd get from moving to an i7 would be minimal for gaming, especially considering the cost. Until we see some benchmarks of Fallout 4 it's hard to say what you'll need to run it and people seem to be focussing a bit too much on the 'recommended specs' for that game, which are probably as random and unrelated to actual hardware requirements as they usually are.

Also SLI vs single card often depends on cost and the games - many games on release don't even support multi-GPU so you'd get zero benefit from a second card if that's the case, at least until SLI profiles are updated. Also what sort of power supply and case do you have as a second GPU adds power and heat dissipation requirements?

But overall you have a really decent gaming platform anyway, so I'd be tempted to stick with what you have and see how you get on, unless you have money to burn upgrading every GPU generation.
    Last edited by watercooled; 29-10-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

I agree with watercooled. Changing the cpu will gain you nothing so stick with the 4670k. You will need at least a quality 750w, preferably 850w psu for SLI 780's. You already have a setup that can pull 450w when fully loaded as it's similar to mine and that's the peak power draw of mine. I game at 1920x1200 and my single 780 is not struggling with any games as of yet.

Thanks

It's always a bad idea to upgrade in anticipation for a release. Look around and see what's available and how much benefit it gives and then once you try Fallout 4 on Ultra settings on your current setup you'll be ready to order however much extra performance you might need for your desired frame rate.

Thread Information