Thread: What kind of case best for 4gpu rendering workstation?

Thanks

What kind of case best for 4gpu rendering workstation?

Hi,

I'm looking to build a workstation primarily for (unbiased) GPU rendering using Thea Presto render engin. I would like to have 4x geforce 980ti cards. SLI is not necessary for the rendering software as it simply treats the cards as CUDA devices. I will probably build it around a 5820k and X99 board.

I'm seeking advice on the best kind of case to use. I see mixed advice, some suggesting a full tower would be best because they are more spacious, others suggesting a mid tower would have less dead space and thus better cooling via air movement.

Is it feasible to run 4 gpus on air or would it need to be water cooled?

If running on air, would a mid or full tower be better?

I assume water would require a full tower due to all the extra stuff? Is this a correct assumption?

I was looking at Fractal Design R5 and Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 since both seem to be flexible and have good soundproofing. Would either of them be suitable?

Thanks, Tom

Thanks

Re: What kind of case best for 4gpu rendering workstation?

Mid and Full tower are kind of vague classifications so I wouldn't make a decision on that basis.

One big limiting factor on your choice of cases, assuming you go air cooled, will be the requirement of an 8th expansion slot to cope with the four dual slot coolers. The R5 has only seven.

You could have a look around at companies making pre-build systems with four high end cards and see which cases they're using.

Thanks

Re: What kind of case best for 4gpu rendering workstation?

Good advice re the number of slots in the case. I'd assumed there would be enough but I'll check.

Is running 4x 980tis on air only ok? Is it better to have a large case or a smaller one for cooling consideration?

Thread Information