Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What board and chip combo for £250?

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    i'm thinking of ditching the idea of trying to get replacement parts for my un-used mobo cause i'm not sure its reliable enough (asus a7n8x dlx) though I like nforce2- in similar situation as poindextermatic here, only I basically need a WHOLE NEW COMPUTER...
    I've found the upgrade/mobo+cpu+mem kits on Komplett - they the best bet, as I assume if i get it all in one hit it'll be easier too.
    thinking amd64 - how do the later versions of nforce shape up? the one at komplett (here) seems to be an nforce3 one - MSI K8N Neo...looks ok to me - anyone have experience of this one?
    also would a 300w cover that along with hdd, 2x dvd/cd drives, 1 x drive and a couple USB things? better with 400-450?

***Edit-a-mundo: just found out that there's also the option of a pretty good system already built here, what you you reckon? it has, for those that don't follow the link, the msi neo board, 512 corsair valueS 3200, athlon64 3200+, case, dvdrw (i don't have one and plan to get one, 160 western digital caviar,powercolor ati9600 (yet another upgrade I had planned over my current gf2mx400 powerhouse of a card, all 64megs of it!).
    I was thinking of the seagate barracuda cause they're quiet but might the system from komplett be just as good and quiet? obvious tweaking may be inevitable...found panaflo link on daveham's site

as a side note - anyone got the lowdown on the ati xpress 200 mobos at all? sort of ati's fight back to nvidia's nforce - only with pci-express graphics that it appears you can increase to 128mb using memory modules...nifty!
    Last edited by shiato storm; 06-01-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    A new graphics card will give you the biggest bang for your buck, BUT if you buy an AGP card now you may find that your choice of motherboards is limited when you come to upgrade the rest of the system. A 6800GT will be fairly severely limited by the rest of your system. What I would do is either:

A) get a 6600GT, much cheaper and still a huge improvement over a ti4200; TBH with an XP2000 the 6800GT will probably be so CPU limited that the improvement over a 6600GT will be small. Save the rest of the money towards a whole new system in the future.

or:

B) wait a month until after the AMD price cut and then buy a S939 3000+, PCI-E motherboard, and a PCI-E graphics card like a 6600 or 6600GT. You'll be able to get all that for £250 or just over, and it'll be a better long term investment.

Rich :¬)

Poiny Member
    Thanks
    Yeah I think I know what your saying...
    Bit of a tough one as PCI express seems the way its going...maybe I should hang on for a 64BIT AMD and a board with PCIExpress, and get a gfx pciexpress card then too........
    Hmmmm...

'buy a S939 3000+, PCI-E motherboard, and a PCI-E graphics card like a 6600 or 6600GT. You'll be able to get all that for £250 or just over' - are u sure?? seems a little cheap to me...?? GFX will be at least £200.
    Last edited by poindextermatic; 07-01-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    hmmm...yeah. tricky one to judge really.
    I've figured I can get; MSI K8N neo plat, 3000+ (plus fan etc),1gb 3200 (twinmos) , 9600xt,120gb hdd - all for near £400. if you break it down to components its roughly £100 amd64, £70 mobo, £90 agp card, £100 mem, £50hdd (ok so thats 410 but roughly right)
    god knows what to expect if I wait a bit longer...would it really be worth waiting? i'm not a desperate speed freak or overclocker, just want something fast that'll last for a few years without mass upgrading all the time. my bro's msi nforce1 board is still silky smooth after all these years so hoping to get similar set up here...

Thanks
    A PCI-E 6600 is £80-95 depending on whether you go for 128 or 256mb memory. It's not a monster card admittedly, but it's still a huge upgrade from a ti4200.

If you want to buy A64, then AFAIK there's a price drop due around the 17th January. It would be daft to buy before then.

Edit: the price cut is on the 14th Feb. There should be a better range of PCI-E boards available by then too.
    Last edited by Rave; 07-01-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Poiny Member
    Thanks
    Thanks M8 - will take your word for it, guess I will wait around till then...
    Prices are always dropping....
    No I'm not rich - well my girlfriend wont let me spend what I want to spend anyway - women they just dont understand!!

Thanks
    how do you know about these price cuts?

Thanks
    From the Inquirer. The price drop on the lower end A64s probably won't be huge mind, but the range of motherboards available then will be much better.

Thanks
    so would it affect the things I selected above

*copy/pasted for the lazy = MSI K8N neo plat, 3000+ (plus fan etc),1gb 3200 (twinmos) , 9600xt,120gb hdd*
    cause it never hurts to save a few £, if its changing by not much (£10-20) then really its not much of an issue. if its more the £20-30 then might have to wait!