• Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Webcams and Mics

My brother wants to start producing video tutorials to put on the web and he has been asking me about the best webcams and microphones to use.

I have very little knowledge of either and therefore wondering what people are using and recommending! He cannot afford to go with full-professional equipment but is looking for a good balance between cost and quality.

Any recommendations out there?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

SUMMONER

Re: Webcams and Mics

Logitech C920 webcam - it has been on and off on Amazon for < £40 and is possibly the best entry level/budget camera for recording video for Youtube

as for microphones, here are the usual suspects...

Sumvision Meteorite - I own one of these myself and for the money you can't buy a better cardioid mini USB microphone
    Sumvision Meteor - ultra portable USB mic for road warriors
    Blue Snowball - the classic Youtuber microphone (not actually tried this one myself, but reviews make it out to be an excellent entry level/budget mic)
    Blue Yeti - for people who have dipped their toes and are ready to spend a little more in order to get a headphone monitoring port, mounting options and a choice of recording patterns

If he is going to be sitting at a desk/standing still in front of white board, a proper lavalier mic will ultimately be the best option so.
    eg: Audio Technica ATR 3350 Condenser Lavalier mic - cheap and works very well, also it is far from practical IMO
    Last edited by SUMMONER; 18-09-2015 at 11:18 PM.

3. Received thanks from:

shaithis (21-09-2015)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

He might want to consider this microphone

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AUDIO-TECHNI...dp/B00B5ZX9FM/

Remember that in general, audio quality is more important than video. In most cases, you can get the message over if the audio is good, but the video is so-so. However poor audio really detracts from the content, no matter how good the video is.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

5. Received thanks from:

shaithis (21-09-2015)

Thanks

I have a c920 and it is very good for a web cam well compared to other webcams anyway. The c930 is wider angle.

I have the audio technica at-2020 or something like that. When looking for something a couple of years ago the blue geri and snowball were rated we'll but that was before they switched production to China. The one below in the link seems to be highly rated for the money. I think if he wants to sound nice a pop shield is worth getting too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Conden.../dp/B004CYVZUE

7. Received thanks from:

shaithis (21-09-2015)

Thanks
    • Goobley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H81I-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i3 4130
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 500B
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Arch/Mint/Windows 7 Ult. 64bit/OS X
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" iiyama IPS
      • Internet:
      • Meh

I know nothing about webcams but for the size and price I have been incredibly impressed with my Samson Go Mic. It takes a bit of work to get the positioning right (fairly sensitive), but mine is stuck to the top of my monitor and does a great job. The quality is such that I wouldn't be offended by anyone using this for video tutorials. Yes, it may lack in dynamic range compared to bigger mics, but that's probably not necessary for spoken word.

SUMMONER

Quick! There is an Amazon Lightning Deal for the Logitech C920 webcam...

Logitech C920HD 1080p Web Cam £31.99 @ Amazon (ends 1:00pm or once they have sold out!)

10. Received thanks from:

shaithis (22-09-2015)

Thanks

shaithis,
    What did your brother end up getting and how did he find it?

I've just had a look at what's available and the Logitech C920 does seem to be almost universally recommended for home budget video conferencing - though not so keen at the idea that I'll have to use Skype for the best quality - my personal prejudice problem - didn't like Skype when it was independent - too buggy and really don't want to use a M$ product - Windows laptop excepted
    The Logitech C930e suggests that it has better low light capability, but really doesn't seem to have been embraced as well as the C920 and it costs a lot more.

Just seen that the Razer Stargazer is coming out Q2 - a bit over the top for my needs, but if it was out today, then I'd probably buy it.
    Really need someone to bring out a budget telepresence experience home camera - come on China/Hong Kong!

Thread Information