• RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Re: I hate PCs

Hmm, excuse to buy a £600 CNC machine and mill my own top? Complete with O-ring recesses of course.

If I already hadn't saved thousands to go back to uni, I'd seriously consider it, because I figure with the amount of broken stuff I go through I'd break even in hours.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Pffft. Geek.
    Engineer!

(And it was lack of attention to that sort of detail that lead to the loss of a space shuttle, failure of an O ring)

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    Hmm, excuse to buy a £600 CNC machine and mill my own top? Complete with O-ring recesses of course.

If I already hadn't saved thousands to go back to uni, I'd seriously consider it, because I figure with the amount of broken stuff I go through I'd break even in hours.
    Well, it would be a niche market, but you could buy in the castings and modify them. However there are mfr defects in those castings (probably) so you would need to apply strict QC on the components before you sold them as a premium product.

But you can always use the CNP machine for making other parts! You would need a lathe to turn the flats on the pipe fitting as well, although you might be able to use the CNP for that.

And neglecting your time, you would only have to sell 60 units at a ten pound premium to get your investment back....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post

Excuses to buy tools are always worth taking advantage of!

Registered+
    Thanks

I am just starting a new build and the GPU I fancy has a length of 308mm.The Fractal Design case I want says,with all drive bays in,there is a gap of 310mm for the GPU.Now,that should work,but after reading this thread I'm having second (and some) thoughts.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    I am just starting a new build and the GPU I fancy has a length of 308mm.The Fractal Design case I want says,with all drive bays in,there is a gap of 310mm for the GPU.Now,that should work,but after reading this thread I'm having second (and some) thoughts.
    Hehe well in this case the problem was a shroud that protruded beyond the edge of the card (and out further than the slot), plus an older style hard drive orientation. Modern cases tend to fit hard drives in at 90 degrees rather than longitudinally in line with the case, so cables and such like don't go towards other components and get in the way.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for that.Don't forget,building your own PC is fun,honest it is.You just have to tell yourself that over and over

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    Thanks for that.Don't forget,building your own PC is fun,honest it is.You just have to tell yourself that over and over
    yeah it's as much fun as parenting. oh no wait....

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

My gaming rig is back together, in all, I'm 8 hours down and £75 worse off. Honestly, this hasn't been nearly as bad as I had feared but that's not to say there hasn't been some less-than-happy moments;

I bought a new all copper CPU block, the EK Supremacy EVO and a pair of barbs to replace the cracked Supremacy MX. I didn't want to go EK again but it's the cheapest full metal option with quick delivery (thanks Scan). I upgraded the leak detector too;

The quality of the EK block wasn't all there...

I had to tap two of the mounting bracket holes, one was a little tight and the other impossible to fasten a thumb stud though by hand.

Both the new block and barbs were slightly lower in profile than the setup before, this meant the existing CPU - GPU pipe was too short, I didn't have any pipe spare so I had to borrow a bit from my cold plate project.

As I had removed the CPU - more on that later, the BIOS reverted back to stock CPU clocks. After overclocking the 2500k again, I noticed under load testing that the overclock was periodically throttling back down to stock, this was baffling because it was fine previously and CPU temps were good. After much faffing with BIOS settings, I found a suggestion online that the MOSFETS could be overheating, so with a few small heat sinks and some thermal tape later;

Success! Strange how it didn't happen before though.

While I'm still here, here are my observations from upgrading to the EK Supremacy EVO to the Supremacy MX;

- The MX also had questionable tapping of the bracket holes,
    - The EVO's mounting system is the best I've ever encountered for a CPU water block, it uses a back plate that mounts over the LGA socket back plate, four thumb studs secure the back plate to the motherboard and provides attachment for the block. Ultimately makes mounting the block easier and more precise.
    - The MX's mounting system is quite fiddly and it's quite easy to chew up the already questionable threads, it also requires the replacement of the standard LGA 115x socket back plate with one specific to the MX water block, the CPU has to come out during this step,
    - The MX has a decorative aluminium plate covering a skeletonised water block top cover, this can hinder early leak detection because the gaps under the cover can hold a considerable amount of water.
    - The EVO cools better than the MX by about 6°C, I think it's mostly down to superior mounting system (and my lack of attention to mounting the MX) rather than the efficiency of the blocks.

9. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (29-01-2016),kalniel (29-01-2016),peterb (29-01-2016)

Thread Information