Thread: HELP...with FN45 noise problem

Thanks

HELP...with FN45 noise problem

I recently bought a shuttle FN45 but I am finding the noise level totally unacceptable.
    I cant believe it can be so noisy, my previous shuttle (SG45) was no-where near as bad.
    This 'Smart fan' justs continually revs up and down even when the PC is doing nothing. I want to take it back to the shop and have it checked out but dont want to be without my PC for days only for them to tell me that there's nothing wrong.

Can anyone advise me what to do...fans, cooling options etc.(Or do you think the shuttle has a problem)?
    This machine is driving me NUTS

Im running an Athlon 3200 processor and an FX5700LE AGP card.
    The bios reports the CPU temp to be 46 degrees.

Can I disable the smart fan and just run the fan at a constant low speed?

member your a womble
    Thanks
    its sound as though youve got the temp setting too low for smartfan try upping the temp setting when the original fan kicks in at high speed it is noisey ,by upping the temp it will mean it wont kick in a high speed so often if at all .Youd most likely have noticed it when you were loading your os ?
    or change the settings from speedfan to youll be offered full med low or ultra low , try med setting and set temp at 55 youll get this setting in the bios if you didnt already know that (dont want to teach granny to eat eggs )
    if your stuck post back

ive got mine to kick in full speed at 55 degrees which it rarely reaches and thats an amd xp2500 oced to xp3200 speeds

it would help to if you dl motherboard monitor or speedfan the first proggy has been disontinued but supports the socket a shuttles that way you can play about with th fan settings and keep an eye on your temps
    Last edited by pumpman; 07-01-2005 at 02:34 AM. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    I tried to change the temp setting in the bios but it wont allow me to set above 52.
    I have also ordered a noiseblocker fan which should help. But the real problem is as you say, the temp of the CPU. I need to keep it cooler so the fan dosen't kick in or somehow raise the default 52 degree setting........Any idea's?

member your a womble
    Thanks
    could you take a screen shot of your bios temp page with a camera with the temp setting o 52 degrees (will help me see what your looking at
    have your tried changing the setting that says smart fan and changing it to full med or low this would then allow you to select the temp
    try that and post back if you can take a piccy all the better

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    dkwill's right, the sn45g only has settings up to 52 degC.

dkwill - I use a Panaflo H1A (40 cfm) and I find that it much quieter than the standard fan, and it doesn't spin up so soon (i.e. it keeps the cpu cooler at low speed). However, my 6800le is a noisy bugger, so that ruins it...

Thanks
    It would seem that I can't disable the smart fan completly, the Ultra low, low, medium and fast fan speed setting's in the Bios seem to make no difference at all. I think these settings only apply to secondary cooling fans.(I can hear the different speeds in the Bios on the fly so to speak but when I boot into windows its just the same, whatever the fan setting)
    I tried mounting a second fan inside the case but it seemed to make no difference, I still get the constant change of fan speeds.

member your a womble
    Thanks
    If i recall correctly there are three fans you could select in the bios thats speedfan affects , whats bugging me is I had the very same thing with my first shuttle and what i mentioned above cured it im going to ask a person who is more knowledable than I on shuttles and get back to you

Thread Information