Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Asus AN8-SLI-Deluxe really that bad?

Thanks

Question Is the Asus AN8-SLI-Deluxe really that bad?

I have this board sitting here still boxed, surrounded by an ever growing collection of other components, waiting for another paycheque before I can scream "It's Alive!"...

However, I'm becoming increasingly disheartened by the number of people that are slagging this mobo off, mostly due to it's 'un-overclockability'.. Should I seriously consider RMA'ing it and going for the DFI or Gigabyte eqivalent before it's too late........

I need calming down,
    S.
    Last edited by BlueMagician; 26-01-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    If you don't have all the other components I'd get the DFI - i'll probably sell mine to get one if they ever appear.

The ASUS by no means a bad board, and it seems to be an ok clocker - much better with the latest BIOS than with the one it came with.

Thanks
    I suppose it's down to if you do some serious over ocing or not, i'm just upgrading from my stock p4 2g board that i've never attempted to oc and is gettin a bit,well, it was ok for hl but hl2 hmmmmm, but i want to have a board that i could try a bit of ocing on. But if ya oc to the max then it sounds like you should either wait for a chipset revision (cos i dont think the bios rev. will do what everyone wants it too) or go for the msi or dfi.

Buts that my view, I'm gettin an a8n sli delivered tomorrow, it cost me £106 plus del. from tekheads and I'm gunna stick with it. I got 2 gig of kingston hyper X that probably wont give me in 1T speed over 240 but hey, I want to use it to have some serious fun on not to be stuck in front of a bench mark screen checking if i get 1 more point more than i did after an hour of tweaking.

Have fun and enjoy, we only get 1 life and thats all we need if we do it right first time.
    Last edited by nur5ey; 26-01-2005 at 11:46 PM.
    99.9% of all computer problems are caused by the software between the keyboard and the chair. (A8N-Sli deluxe owners excluded)

Thanks
    Well, I am trying to do everthing properly, this is the spec:

Asus AN8 SLI Deluxe
    A64 3500+ Winchester
    1GB 3200 OCZ Platinum C2 R2
    2 x XFX 6800GT PCIe
    2 x 74 GB WD Raptors
    OCZ PowerStream 600
    XP120 with 120mm Luxotop
    2 x NV5 Coolers
    CoolerMaster WM-Black
    XP Pro

It's turned into quite a nice project actually - it's a fair few years since I last built a PC for myself, and this is by far the most I've ever spent on a single system.. I've a few bits left to buy (including these elusive XFX's!)

I'll be overclocking as far as she'll go comfortably on air - not in any half assed deduded attempt at record breaking - but just for fun, and it would just be a shame to be let down by the mobo..

S.

Thanks
    Blue
    if its not a silly question why is everyone goin for 2 x 74 GB WD Raptors, i see alot of guyz are doin this, Ok im a noob and I dont know, so i ask?
    99.9% of all computer problems are caused by the software between the keyboard and the chair. (A8N-Sli deluxe owners excluded)

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL
    Quote Originally Posted by nur5ey
    Blue
    if its not a silly question why is everyone goin for 2 x 74 GB WD Raptors, i see alot of guyz are doin this, Ok im a noob and I dont know, so i ask?
    They are fast And two of them means you can put them in a RAID array, meaning they go faster (Or they are redundant)
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

RDL
    Thanks
    Just wondering Bluemagician, where did you get all of that gear from? I can't find a place which has all of that stuff in one, except OCUK. Are you buying from there?

Thanks
    they are the fastest S-ATA you can get, they are 10,000 rpm insted of 7,200 rpm. They are SCSI speed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Cheers m8, I like to know these things ya know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nur5ey
    ...why is everyone goin for 2 x 74 GB WD Raptors...
    Not a silly q at all..
    Well, firstly I'm going for Raptors because they are the fastest hard disc you can get (seek time/high spin speed/sata ncq), short of spending silly money on 15k RPM SCSI units.
    Secondly, I'm getting two, so I can keep my Windows installation and program files on a separate physical disc to my personal documents and Windows page file.

From thread "To partition or not":
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagician
    The pagefile is a 'snapshot' or dump of memory information that is either too big to fit, or not currently needed, in your physical RAM.

Whenever Windows uses the pagefile instead of physical RAM, 'memory' data is being accessed from the Hard Disc (a mechanical device with 5-10 millisecond latency), as opposed to from your RAM (solid state 2-10 nanosecond latency) - each response to a request by the OS for data is therefore slower, and results in a more sluggish desktop environment...
    In short, keeping the pagefile on it's own drive, or at least on a drive that is troubled for little else, will greatly increase the response of the Windows desktop.

Doing it with 2 expensive drives like the Raptors is a little overkill, but if you're doing it, you might as well do it properly..

HTH,
    S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RDL
    Just wondering Bluemagician, where did you get all of that gear from? I can't find a place which has all of that stuff in one, except OCUK. Are you buying from there?
    Yeah, I've been buying from OCUK, Microdirect, and Komplett over the last few weeks. A little overpriced, but very good service and delivery options for the most part.

I should listen to myself and do it all in one or two hits to save on postage, but it's not as much fun that way... I've still to get quite a bit, but not too far away now....

S.

Thanks
    Blue, most informative cheers m8. (oh, and to the others guyz sorry)

Thanks
    • Fresco's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3500+ Winchester
      • Memory:
      • 2x512MB Corsair XMS3200XL Pro
      • Storage:
      • WD Raptor 74GB + WD 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GeForce 8800 GTS
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Modstream 520w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 225BW
    Looks like a nice setup. I have been doing a bit of research into the Asus board myself, and from what i read its not at bad as it was when it first came out. The hardcore OC's say its limited because of the maximum voltage you can put through the ram but its not that bad, you can still have some fun and OC it.

The DFI board is probably going to be better for OC'ing although its not quite relelased yet and will be hard to get hold of for the next month or two. I understand its possible to set a jumper and connect the ram to the 5v rail (although the dimms get very hot!).

By the way, where on earth are you gonig to get 6800GT's from(the PCIe SLi versions)? I have looked everywhere and no one seems to have them in stock yet.
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream | DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D | AMD A64 3500+ Winchester | Asus 8800 GTS | 2x512MB Corsair XMS3200XL Pro | OCZ Modstream 520w | WD Raptor 74GB | LG GSA-4163 DVD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresco
    ...By the way, where on earth are you gonig to get 6800GT's from(the PCIe SLi versions)? I have looked everywhere and no one seems to have them in stock yet.
    Yeah, I'm getting worried about that too!

I now have everything either delivered or ordered, except for the XFX PCIe's, Raptors, and the Case, and I know it's gonna be the XFX's that hold me up!

D'oh!

S.

Thanks
    overclockers.co.uk have the leadtek 6800gt due in 4-7 at a price of £328.94
    lowestontheweb.com has the same card - box and games for 269.99 + free delivery.
    I had a very similar setup to yourself bluemagician mine was
    a64 3200+,
    asus a8n sli,
    1gb ocz plat rev 2,
    6800gt pci-e
    520w ocz powerstream
    3* 250gb maxtor 16mb cache diamondmax 10's
    soundblaster audigy 2 zs platinum

Ive sent the asus board back to be replaced with the dfi sli-dr (also sold mr processer as it overclocked poorly)
    If i were you id go for the dfi, the system cost me a hell of a lot of money and the asus mobo was the weak spot, poor ram overclocking,poor cpu overclocking, buggy sata.
    BTW i think the raptors are over hyped and grossly overpriced. Similar to the jump between the a64 3500+ and the 3800+ in real terms the difference isn't noticable.
    The maxtor actually beats the raptor on a lot of tests, the raptor only winning out on server benchmarks hence useless in a home machine. For the price of a 74gb raptor you could get a 300gb maxtor. Per GB the raptor is 2.5 times more expensive. Do you get 2.5 times performace? Nope! Check out http://www.storagereview.com/php/ben...1=269&devCnt=2 for comparison
    Last edited by pudds; 27-01-2005 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by nvening
    they are the fastest S-ATA you can get, they are 10,000 rpm insted of 7,200 rpm. They are SCSI speed.
    No, they're where SCSI was a while back. SCSI drives now go uo to 15000 rpm. They have other advantages too. But they're bloody expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information