Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A64 3500+ Winchester - stock availability?

Thanks
    ebuyer has them right now, but only 12 left....3500+ winchester retail

Thanks
    visidigi,

I don't think anyone is saying you are not intelligent just because you built a P4, but I have only found a couple of motherboards that had stability problems out of the box, and it was due to unfinished or bad BIOS defaults. Some A64 boards (like the MSI K8N Neo 2, the Gigabyte K8NSNXP S939 and the DFI S754 LanParty) should only be built by hardcore enthusiasts because these boards have problems with certain hardware and default BIOS settings. These boards do not work with the default settings very well at all. If you set the BIOS up right they are 100% stable. There are many many boards that are rock solid though, like the ASUS K8V, the Gigabyte K8NS-Pro, the ASUS A8V and the A8N-SLI. There are many others. You were not stupid, you just didn't do your homework and you bought into one of the most popular Intel myths. If it's true that you've built 50-100 (a pretty wide range there) it's sad that you would buy into something like this. You (and anybody else who reads these and other forums) should know better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by visidigi
    I currently use Intel, I have had AMD in the past and the one thing that pleased me about the switch to P4 was the added stability,....and the extra hassle with AMD with drivers, bios's and stuff

m@
    AMD are no more stable than Intel, and visa versa. The "Intel is more stable than AMD" debate is utter non-sence. The chips themselfs are fine, however, the mobos you build them on and their chipsets may be a different story.
    If this is the case then either your using cheap mobos/components that are causing you problems in stability, your setting them up incorrectly causing them to be unstable, or there is a design fault with the model/BIOS (which happens to both Intel and AMD : hense why both have updatable BIOS's)

And im not quite sure where your going on the driver front with AMDs either as the chips themselfs wont need a driver (well, its done at OS Kernel level). If again, your refering to the chipsets that the mobo uses, most of the time you'll need to install some form of driver to access all their features, and irrelivent of if its AMD or Intel, they are both as easy as each other to set-up.
    The same goes for the BIOS really. They are pretty much the same on AMD boards as Intels. Either one can be setup in a matter of minutes.

And thats from a guy who owns 3 Intels and 1 AMD at the moment.
    It dont really matter which route you go to me, but the comments about P4's being more stable and the BIOS being hassle is nonsence. Heck, if its that much hassle to setup, try reading the manual
    Last edited by Agent; 12-01-2005 at 02:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    I don't know if this is a bargain or a Winchester for that matter but it is a 3500 for what I seem to think is a reasonable price, but sadly its too expensive for me:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...99&GroupID=409

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    to be honest a cpu - what ever the make - is as stable as you allow it to be. if you are aware of various pitfalls, do's and don't etc. with certain bits of hardware and elect a certain type of chip then thats your/our decision. I dunno what the fuss is about - if they are both extremely successful and yet meant to be really complicated, how come both AMD and intel are producing and selling thousands of chips each month/day (whatever)?
    its like cameras: nikon vs Canon. you get people on both sides of the fence for their own reasons, 'better quality' and all the rest of it, but do they not still produce pictures? do they not do a damn fine job too? then so be it - intel and AMD's work, at the end of the day its what's right for the individual.
    2p paid.
    Last edited by shiato storm; 12-01-2005 at 09:21 PM.