• Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Re: Windows 10 and Sound Cards - starting to get the hump with 10 now

I have had no problems with my Creative Soundblaster Z in windows 10. I haven't actually had any problems at all with 10.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I have a pretty old Asus Xonar D2X and i have had to reinstall the drivers once, however this is once over the course of quite a while and other than that its been working rock solid.

Not sure I would recomend this specific card to anyone buying new though, requires a floppy power adapter :/

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I went back to the system restore from when I registered Windows 10 and then tried again with my best card: Razer Baracuda

I tried this on day one but Win10 told me the software wouldn't run on my PC. (This App cant run on your PC) and it didn't work as Admin last time nor in compatibility mode.

this time... it ran straight away and is now working perfectly with all the menus and options.

While bemused as to the difference between now and back then.. fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I have a pretty old Asus Xonar D2X and i have had to reinstall the drivers once, however this is once over the course of quite a while and other than that its been working rock solid.

Not sure I would recomend this specific card to anyone buying new though, requires a floppy power adapter :/
    I have an Asus Xonar DX, which also has the ubiquitous additional power connector onboard (4-pin Berg connector (floppy drive power connector)). The guys over at bit-tech asked the Xonar engineers the question as to why the DX had this power connector:

Power
    Like the D2 and D2X, the Xonar DX still requires a power connector and while we never got an answer as to why this was the case when we first did our D2X review, we have since had chance to sit down with a couple of engineers working on the Xonar project.

When asked, they explained that this is purely because the power from a PSU is far cleaner than it is from the motherboard, meaning you again get far less interference and therefore better quality sound. At least, that’s how the theory works.

Sure, it’s a pain in the back side, especially since it’s a floppy connector and not a Molex, but we have more respect for it now that we know its presence is actually for our benefit.
    So, nice that they do this stuff to try and improve sound as much as possible.

By the way, I have been trying onboard sound for years in comparison to my pretty much bog standard Xonar DX and the onboard sound is not a patch on the DX. Motherboard sound is nowhere near to the quality of a discrete solution, even though inroads have been made as to the quality of onboard sound. Trouble is, the chips and traces are all contained on the motherboard, which are surrounded by all sorts of electronic devices, chips and power components creating noise and interference affecting the onboard solutions.
    Last edited by RapsterUK; 24-03-2016 at 01:51 AM. Reason: punctuation

5. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (24-03-2016)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by RapsterUK View Post
    I have an Asus Xonar DX, which also has the ubiquitous additional power connector onboard (4-pin Berg connector (floppy drive power connector)). The guys over at bit-tech asked the Xonar engineers the question as to why the DX had this power connector:

So, nice that they do this stuff to try and improve sound as much as possible.

By the way, I have been trying onboard sound for years in comparison to my pretty much bog standard Xonar DX and the onboard sound is not a patch on the DX. Motherboard sound is nowhere near to the quality of a discrete solution, even though inroads have been made as to the quality of onboard sound. Trouble is, the chips and traces are all contained on the motherboard, which are surrounded by all sorts of electronic devices, chips and power components creating noise and interference affecting the onboard solutions.
    Thanks for posting that, its good to know! I do wish they would just just use a bloody molex or SATA though!

I haven't tried one of the modern motherboards where the Audio PCB elements are in a totally dedicated section of the motherboard, but this apparently does help a lot.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

At the time I thought the reasoning was that the power was used for the PCI-to-PCI-E bridge chip.

I still have a DX somewhere, I remember it used to get VERY hot.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Thanks for posting that, its good to know! I do wish they would just just use a bloody molex or SATA though!

I haven't tried one of the modern motherboards where the Audio PCB elements are in a totally dedicated section of the motherboard, but this apparently does help a lot.
    I will give one of those a try on my next upgrade, whenever I find it sensible to upgrade my current components. Nobody wants a new build at the moment, so it'll probably be my machine for upgrade and testing. I am interested in just how much this isolation actually helps in the real world and not just on paper.

My oscilloscope is trembling in anticipation!

Thanks

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD. Not really that cheap but can be picked up for around 50 quid on eBay. Rock stable in Windows 10 since the official driver release.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information