Thread: Surge Protector

Registered+
    Thanks

Surge Protector

Recently I am looking into setting up my own NAS (in this topic) and I am just wondering if it will be worth money and hustle to have one especially that machine will be running at most about 12 hours a day.
    I did some research and according to various articles it is worth getting expensive one which indicates when it is worn out, or replacing them everyone.
    If any I wound probably go for first option.

Does anyone has some experience or good tips for that?
    I certainly wouldn't get an UPS it is much more than I can afford and probably an over kill for one NAS

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Surge Protector

Personally I think they are a waste of money.

The surge control devices to have a limited life, so if you do buy one, one that indicates when the life of the surge protection cooponents have come to the end of their life is probably worth getting.

Do you live in an area where your mains supply is subject to over voltage? If you are at the end of a long overhead transmission line, the risks are slightly higher, if you are in a residential area where cables are underground, the risks are lower.

No surge device will withstand a nearby direct cable lightening strike, they may provide some protection against induced voltages from lightening discharges near an overhead cable.

Generally the best protection in the case of a nearby thunderstorm is to unplug phone lines and sensitive electronic equipment (although I suspect few of us do)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Surge Protector

I am living in residential area were thunderstorms and power losses happens like twice a year, but during thunderstorms I am unplugging electrical equipment from sockets anyway. I am not unplugging my router tho... I guess I should.

I am not trying to be paranoid I just would like to know if is it enough and worth to invest £20 or so for such a device.

Thread Information