Thread: Bought all of my components :-)

Thanks

Bought all of my components :-)

Hello, I have been in search of silence for a while since my old Dell broke. Anyway I currently have a Shuttle (supplied by Burtie) which is fairly loud as I have stupidly sensitive ears. I have now bought a new case, motherboard, CPU and PSU. I have a few questions:

1) I have bought a 3500+ Newcastle Socket 939 CPU (I know Winchester is better but I couldn't resist at £125 including postage), it is second hand but is the full retail version with warranty. I don't think I will be overclocking but at stock speeds is this around the same as a 3200+ Winchester chip? How quiet will the stock cooling be? I don't have the money really for anything really quiet at the moment but I am just asking.

2) I have bought a Nexus 350 Watt PSU which is the silent version: (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NEX-PSUS35)
    Will this supply all the components with the power they need?

3)My 6800GT MSI is very loud, I know I can fit an Arctic cooler but I would lose my 3 year warranty and so is obviously not good, is there any way of shutting it up?

4) I have never set a complete computer up before and have never installed an AMD CPU, is there any advice tips on what I could do to make the whole procedure easy and safe? I have fitted things like graphics cards before but not fitted stuff like a CPU or a motherboard to a case.

5) I have two partitions on my 250GB Hard drive, one is for Windows and the other for Games and applications, would I only need to format my Windows partition or would I need to format the whole drive?

Anyway, here are my system specs for the PSU to handle:

Antec SLK3000B Case:www.silentpcreview.com/article210-page1.html
    MSI Neo 2 Platinum Motherboard (Socket 939)
    NX6800GT 256mb MSI
    Maxline 2 250GB Hard Drive with 8mb Cache
    1GB (2 x 512mb) Twinmos PC3200
    Audigy 2
    Philips DVD+RW Drive
    LG1710B TFT
    Creative 5.1 Speakers
    MX700
    Nexus NX3500 Silent PSU

So if anyone was to answer any of these questions it would be of great help as I'm quite worried about the prospect of fitting everything due to the only motherboard I tried to fit before was into a Dell computer which I successfully burnt, many thanks, Alex

Thanks
    WOw a broke dell, never seen that b4 If you must only reinstall xp then you will will have to copy your registry and then put it onto the new xp, or something to that effect. Look at some other threads they went through it in detail i think. Does that psu have a fan? For your card, not really i dont think, you could get a vibration mat.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Betty_Swallocks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690K o/c to 4.6 gHz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD + 1320Gb (3x SATA drives)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390 8Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Shark
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 37" Samsung TV @1920x1080 + Dell 20.1" TFT secondary screen
      • Internet:
      • 150Mb Virgin Media cable
    If you don't want to swap the cooler on your graphics card and you can't afford a quiet cooling solution have you considered insulating your case.
    Acoustipack have a pre cut set for your case
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article137-page1.html

QuietPC have them for £37
    http://www.quietpc.com/uk/materials.php#bqe
    "Free speech includes not only the inoffensive but the irritating, the contentious, the eccentric, the heretical, the unwelcome and the provocative provided it does not tend to provoke violence. Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having."

RDL
    Thanks
    Actually nvening, if you want to reinstall you can keep your games partition untouched and just install over your windows one.

1)The 3500 is 200mhz quicker than the 3200.

2)Well, I'm not sure if it will handle it, as the site doesn't give any information on the Wattage produced from each Rail. You could always get a Tagan 480W, they are fairly silent.

3)The Artic Coolers really are very good, and won't do any harm, infact they will make your GPU slightly cooler. But if you insist on keeping that warranty then have faith in your new case, it might insulate better than an SFF.

4)Well, if you're stuck then have a look at the manual. It's a retail version of the 3500 you got, so you'l get drawings showing you what to do. The CPU install is easy, the heatsink is slightly harder, but not too bad, just don't peal the silicon off of the chip (and if it's second hand you shuold check to make sure there is silicon still on it) That case doesn't state anything about having a removable motherboard tray, so I don't think it will have one. The best thing to do is put the RAM, CPU, heatsink etc. then install the motherboard, and then install the drives etc. And another tip, try and keep as clean wiring as possible, it pays to be neat as airflow improves. Hide unused cables behind the PSU.

5) I already answered, but you don't actually have to reinstall, unless of course you are upgrading or something, but with a 250gb HDD I'm guessing you're already on XP.

Thanks
    When appling the thermal paste, make sure you do it nicely!

As for reinstalling Windows, I would always do it when installing a new motherboard. You can try to restore the registry, but I personally always find it easiest to just start from scratch.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander
    Hello, I have been in search of silence for a while since my old Dell broke. Anyway I currently have a Shuttle (supplied by Burtie) which is fairly loud as I have stupidly sensitive ears. I have now bought a new case, motherboard, CPU and PSU. I have a few questions:

1) I have bought a 3500+ Newcastle Socket 939 CPU (I know Winchester is better but I couldn't resist at £125 including postage), it is second hand but is the full retail version with warranty. I don't think I will be overclocking but at stock speeds is this around the same as a 3200+ Winchester chip? How quiet will the stock cooling be? I don't have the money really for anything really quiet at the moment but I am just asking.

2) I have bought a Nexus 350 Watt PSU which is the silent version: (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NEX-PSUS35)
    Will this supply all the components with the power they need?

3)My 6800GT MSI is very loud, I know I can fit an Arctic cooler but I would lose my 3 year warranty and so is obviously not good, is there any way of shutting it up?

4) I have never set a complete computer up before and have never installed an AMD CPU, is there any advice tips on what I could do to make the whole procedure easy and safe? I have fitted things like graphics cards before but not fitted stuff like a CPU or a motherboard to a case.

5) I have two partitions on my 250GB Hard drive, one is for Windows and the other for Games and applications, would I only need to format my Windows partition or would I need to format the whole drive?

Anyway, here are my system specs for the PSU to handle:

Antec SLK3000B Case:www.silentpcreview.com/article210-page1.html
    MSI Neo 2 Platinum Motherboard (Socket 939)
    NX6800GT 256mb MSI
    Maxline 2 250GB Hard Drive with 8mb Cache
    1GB (2 x 512mb) Twinmos PC3200
    Audigy 2
    Philips DVD+RW Drive
    LG1710B TFT
    Creative 5.1 Speakers
    MX700
    Nexus NX3500 Silent PSU

So if anyone was to answer any of these questions it would be of great help as I'm quite worried about the prospect of fitting everything due to the only motherboard I tried to fit before was into a Dell computer which I successfully burnt, many thanks, Alex
    If you want any help with the build or how to do anything then get in touch - ry[at]blueyonder.co.uk on msn. I don't mind helping you out

Thread Information