• Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

First timer on custom watercooling rig: Advice and build log

Hi Guys

There are certain things I always wanted from a PC when I was growing up, multiple CPU's, multiple GPU's, multi monitors, custom water-cooling loop.

The only one I haven't ticked off is the custom water-cooling loop. Now that I've gotten to the stage where the hardware is going to have to do me for a good few years (cause the wife says so!) I think it's time to look at going for water-cooling.

The only issue is I know absolutely nothing in this area and would welcome any advise.

I have started some planning and will list the key components that need to be considered below:

- Case: Phantoms Enthoo Primo v2
    - CPU's: 2x Socket 2011
    - GPU: R9 295X2 OC

Proposed layout:

I already have a block for the GPU (as this was difficult to come by it took a few months of watching ebay like a hawk to find one to come up) GPU Block

I guess as the GPU block uses G1/4" fittings it may be best to choose this for all parts.

Items I will need are:

- Reservoir
    - Pump
    - Radiator 1
    - Radiator 2
    - Tubing
    - Fixings

I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to make a refill line (near the top rad) and a loop drain (near the reservoir) for ease of maintenance.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: First timer on custom watercooling rig: Advice and build log

Your about 5 years too late.

I went from full custom watercooling to air to AIOs and TBH, there really isn't anything between them now that kit doesn't produce much heat.

In fact, I'd never go back to a custom loop. The expense, time and hassle and all you get from it is the feeling of dread every time you want to take the side off your case......

Consider selling the block and putting the whole idea on the back-burner!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Well I was concerned about the temps over the summer. I turned HT off on the CPUs cause they were getting quite warm and in games that actually made full use of the GPU's the second chip was thermal throttling after 20 mins of going at full chat.

So part of the project was to hopefully reduce the temps of the components not just aesthetics.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

I'd change the case to something less expensive and better quality, Fractal may be. I was very disappointed with my Enthoo Primo. Depending on what rad you get you wont be able to fit fans in push pull/pull config as it will be too deep. And i'd dont think you can fit 3x140 rad at the top as it looks like it will foul on kit in the front of the case. The method of locking devices in to the front 5 1/2" slots is alos very poor. and the number of cross threaded screw holes I had in my case was stupid, I had to re-tap a number of them. Basically for the money it should be much better quality.

*Edit* also like Shaithis, I'm now seriously considering going back to air cooling, I dont have the time for the hassle that water cooling brings. When I was single and had bags of time and free income it was fine & fun as was the overclocking. Now I have a family & no time or money I just want things to work with no hassles.

*Edit 2* Can anyone recommend a really good air cooler or AIO water cooler for a socket 2011 board.

*Edit 3* I still think water cooling gpus makes a huge difference temps, on my R9 290 temps were about 30c cooler when water cooled but as I dont game much these day (thanks to family life!) the point is moot in my case!
    Last edited by jimborae; 04-10-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

I've not had any issues with the case and I quite like it.

In part it was necessitated by the need for a case to support a SSI-EEB motherboard and it does that job nicely with room to spare.

I defo wasn't expecting the responses of don't bother when I posted might take a pause to re-think but if I want to get temps down i think this is going to be my only option.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

I'm not going to say don't bother, because I tell myself that every time when I think about installing a custom water cooling system, but I do it anyway. Lets face it, custom water cooling loops are cool.

sorry, lets start again.

Here are some things that come to mind;

- As mentioned, check that the planned 3x140mm radiator will fit on the roof, the uprights that hold the optical drives look like they might get in the way. I reckon a 3x120mm will be ok, but do check.
    - Consider using only the top triple radiator, or the top rad plus a single 120mm rear rad. So that the front fans can bring in cool air, rather than heated air from a radiator.
    - Consider using a vertical pump reservoir, it looks like you've got plenty of room even for a floor standing one. Vertical pump reservoirs make filling and de-airing the loop a doddle.
    - Be prepared for trouble, your graphics card will double as a CPU block leak detector.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    I've not had any issues with the case and I quite like it.

In part it was necessitated by the need for a case to support a SSI-EEB motherboard and it does that job nicely with room to spare.

I defo wasn't expecting the responses of don't bother when I posted might take a pause to re-think but if I want to get temps down i think this is going to be my only option.
    Maybe they improved things on the V2 version of the Primo, all I know is that if I was doing it again I wont be using a Phantoms case.

With regards to our negative comments on custom watercooling in general I think our responses are based on years of experience yet your use case is pretty unique i.e. lots of heat being generated by 16 cores and a very toasty gpu!!! If low temps and low noise is your goal then a custom loop maybe the only way to go and any negative comments are null & void due to your situation and goals. So take them with a pinch of salt.

Being able to easily fill, drain and most importantly bleed your loop is a paramount. Most of my issues have been caused due to not planning this properly and then not have the patience to rectify the situation. I've just killed my R9 290 I think by trying to bleed the loop and getting water on the card. As DDY says "Be prepared for trouble, your graphics card will double as a CPU block leak detector." With two rads your effectively doubling the place where most air in system resides and getting it out and into the res has caused me no end of grief.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    I'm not going to say don't bother, because I tell myself that every time when I think about installing a custom water cooling system, but I do it anyway. Lets face it, custom water cooling loops are cool.
    Do you have a site that you prefer to get your kit from?

I know what you mean about exhausting into the case so i could reverse that one to make it an exhaust. I have 2 big fans in the bottom of the case that are intakes so that so be OK.

Thanks

I'm also in the middle of rebuilding my system into a smaller case
    The acrylic is being a little difficult, but almost there. Just need to re-do 2 bends I'm not happy with
    I've been doing it for years, and maybe it's me, but I don't mind the maintenance. Yes I've had leaks but honestly that's because I rushed. If you plan properly, and are patient you should be generally trouble free

I shop around for my kit, a bit of it I get from ebay auctions. Otherwise I generally shop around and see who's got the best prices and has stock.
    Have you got your fittings sorted? I quite like the Barrow fittings, and they're not badly priced either - look for an ebay store called Mizucooling

Do you have an optical drive?
    You could consider getting a drive bay res? I'm not entirely sure of the spacings. But I think it could work?
    The Phanteks website says a 480 rad should fit on top, so there should be no problem fitting a 420 in there with a bit of space to spare

Quite a few of the builds using your case put a tick radiator at the bottom? That's also an option
    I'm not sure if we can post links to other websites, but PM me and I'll send you a list of where I shop around if that's helpful?

Again I'm not entirely sure of spacings, but I think you could get a 240mm crossflow radiator in the front with a fill/drain port. Then that's your draining sorted (Ideally you want it at the lowest point of your loop)

Overclock.net has quite a large case club for Phanteks, you could look in there for some ideas/inspiration
    They've also got a large watercooling community - loads of build logs etc

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

I did consider a drive bay res, for other cases that might have been a good option but tbh i want to show it off in this case even though it would mean taking the dremel to it a little to create some mounting holes to put it where i wanted on the diagram.

I will check out those suggestions, was going to have a good look at the weekend and start to put a part list together for items I need. There are a good few CPU blocks out there is there anything in particular i should be looking at for their specs or are they pretty much alike?

Thanks

There's not a huge difference between the blocks. I mean a couple of degrees here and there.
    But then again, you could gain or lose a few degrees based on your Thermal Paste and your mount etc etc etc.

I'd say check what you can get your hands on/budget allows and work around that?

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

I would consider 2 loops and splitting the GPU to the smaller front rad for your dual CPU setup. Me with my current rig housed in a Corsair 900D I have a 3x140 in the top running the GPU (total overkill but this came from an old SLI setup) I run the GPU pump with a fan cable that takes the PWM signal from the video card and the 12v from the power supply to save overloading it running 3 140mm fans, this runs via the afterburner software made by MSI. the other pump and fans all run on PWM from the motherboard as it does a good job controlling the speeds. The system is near silent unless gaming but that isn't an issue as I wear a headset.

I run a very low set of pump and fan profiles, the GPU has never got above 40C (core) and never runs the pump above 40%, the fan speeds do get around 50 as they also suck the case heat through including the CPU rad housed in the bottom.

It is so quiet I moved my microserver into a cupboard as it was louder on 6% fan!

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Well I think I have found the major parts for the loop. Have listed them below.

Any comments welcome before I pull the trigger and buy them.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Any issues with the proposed items?