Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much performance can I expect from upgrading an i5-2500 to an i7-6700K in gaming?

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Re: How much performance can I expect from upgrading an i5-2500 to an i7-6700K in gam

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreaker777 View Post
    Didn't know there were problems with Ivy Bridge compatibility - is it BIOS or what? If I may ask.
    From what little research I've done (read: googled it, looked at 2 things, gone "yup that's enough for me"), while Ivy Bridge does work, it seems OC'ing is disabled. Now, what I couldn't find (read: couldn't be arsed finding out) was if this applied to all boards, as it seemed that some people think it only applied to the B2 boards (if you're not familiar with this mobo - there was a recall due to the chance of dodgy SATA ports, known as B2 boards. I use all mine, so I experienced it, so mine was replaced).

I used Anandtech Bench to check the 2600k (no 2700k in their benchmark) vs 3770k and there isn't much difference. Plus, I heard the 2700k OC's better, which is the reason I'm doing this upgrade

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't say, earlier in this thread I mentioned a guy on eBay ignoring me. He got back to me, my emails were going in his spam folder (happens to me all the time as I have my own domain/email server), he wasn't ignoring me at all, and he's giving me an awesome discount on his eBay listing price. I know I didn't name him, but if it was reversed, and I came across this, I'd be peed off ha.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: How much performance can I expect from upgrading an i5-2500 to an i7-6700K in gam

Are you the same Tunnah who visited noobgroup a few years back?!?

Did you go from SLI'd 670s or just a single?

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by mozzer51 View Post
    Are you the same Tunnah who visited noobgroup a few years back?!?

Did you go from SLI'd 670s or just a single?
    Hahah yes I am mate, how you doing ? I actually recently got back into BF and for the life of me couldn't remember the name of the group, is it still going ?

And ya SLI'ed

EDIT: Oh and for anyone still watching this, I got the 2700k, and it is bloody glorious. The last time I received this much of a boost from a CPU upgrade was when the Core2duo first came out!

Thanks

ya those are both still great CPUs - and especially if you overclock them. I've got the 2700k and Vs something like the Skylake You'd probably notice a 20% or so performance differential in games (depending on the game and how much you OC of course.)

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm quite surprised how my SLI'd 670s are holding up in witcher 3, rise of the tomb raider and the like. I've got an i5 2500k - second hand when I bought it but it's nice and happy at around 4.5GHz on stock voltages!

I'm good, celebrating my first Christmas with my girlfriend in our own house so haven't been playing all that many new games but I'm keeping pretty busy!

The group had a hard time after battlefield 4 came out, there were so many issues with the game but it's still going and seen a resurgence of people playing bf1 though.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Aye I signed in after you gave me the name I'd forgotten hehe

Are your 670s 2 or 4GB ? The performance is great, but mine being 2GB was starting to give me grief, plus I hate not being able to just whack everything on full and not have to fiddle finding the right settings for the occasion. I had a 2500, non-K, that was holding me back quite a bit too.

Good to hear about the house!

And ya speaking to Yupster yesterday he said pretty much the same thing. I've not even tried the game yet. Gonna buy BF1 in the next few days

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Of course, if you do sell your 2500, I'll give you £30 for the chip.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    Of course, if you do sell your 2500, I'll give you £30 for the chip.
    Mate I'd let you have it for free if it wasn't already promised to someone else.

With my original idea of doing a whole new rig, I was going to give my sis and brother in law my old parts, all they'd need is peripherals, a case and a PSU. So they're expecting a PC and I've kinda shafted em haha. I'm gonna source some cheap second hand bits (I'm swapping my 2x2gb RAM sticks for 2x4, I have a GPU, SSD, HDD, so it's really only a mobo), get a basic case & PSU, I've got a spare Razer DeathAdder *spits* so they only need to get a keyboard. Also this way I can get a microATX or ITX board as the BIL wanted to use it for work, so it'd need to be mobile

Registered+
    Thanks

My GTX 670's are and were 2Gb versions - the primary one failed on me last night!

I'm thinking of going to a 1060 6Gb after christmas as a replacement 670 would be about £80.

I should be able to get most of the money for the 1060 back on the working 670 and water blocks

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

I highly recommend the 1060, however if you wanna keep the 670 choo-choo train rolling shoot me your address I'll send you one of my 670s.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

My GTX 670's are and were 2Gb versions - the primary one failed on me last night!

I'm thinking of going to a 1060 6Gb after christmas as a replacement 670 would be about £80.

I should be able to get most of the money for the 1060 back on the working 670 and water blocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I highly recommend the 1060, however if you wanna keep the 670 choo-choo train rolling shoot me your address I'll send you one of my 670s.
    An RX470 or an RX480 is also worth a look too:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ed-review.html

I think it essentially boils down to what deal you can get on the day TBF!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Someone posted elsewhere on the forum that AMD have turned the performance on the ex 480 around with mature drivers - the ex 480 nitro is very attractive compared to the 1060 when its and extra £20-30 to get a card with water cooling potential ( loop is already in place from the 670s)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Someone posted elsewhere on the forum that AMD have turned the performance on the ex 480 around with mature drivers - the ex 480 nitro is very attractive compared to the 1060 when its and extra £20-30 to get a card with water cooling potential ( loop is already in place from the 670s)
    Part of the problem is the reference cooler was meh and then by the time the non-reference cards were launched,Nvidia had launched the GTX1060 cards. It meant non-reference GTX1060 cards against the reference RX480 as they were quite close in price anyway.

I mean that test is before the new ReLive drivers too:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...eLive_Drivers/

Like I said it also comes down to what price you can get a RX480,RX470 or GTX1060 on the day,but still the RX470 and RX480 are worth considering IMHO OFC.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-12-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Cheers Cat-the-fifth! I'll definitely keep my eye on the rx 480 pricing (it's a shame no-one's doing waterblocks for the Sapphire 480 nitro )

In other news my previously dead 670 is back to being the main card in the SLI'd pair and working again !?!?!?!?

Registered+
    Thanks

would def wait till the 13th to see what the results of zen are, could be worth waiting for zen so there is some competition.

the i5 is still definitely a good CPU and if you can wait it might be worth while

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information