Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much performance can I expect from upgrading an i5-2500 to an i7-6700K in gaming?

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

How much performance can I expect from upgrading an i5-2500 to an i7-6700K in gaming?

I'm finally at a point where I can upgrade my computer - I've done the GPU (670s to a 1060..I've never had such a leap in performance before,as I used to upgrade more regularly, it's mind-blowing), but as there is still slowdown in some games, which I've found out is due to my weak CPU, I was thinking of doing that too.

The problem is the cost is disgusting. I'm looking at at least £500, and closer to £600, for what will be in my mind just a performance boost in certain bits of certain games.

The main reason for it is Civ VI, turn times are HORRENDOUS (15-20s in later game), and Just Cause 3 has lots of slowdown too during the bigger explosions. These are just 2 newer games I've noticed it happening in, I've not tried a lot of titles yet.

My CPU is a none-K (K was out of stock when I went to buy the parts), so I was thinking it might be better to just buy a 2700K and OC it. Or am I just delaying the inevitable ?

Thanks

Re: How much performance can I expect from upgrading an i5-2500 to an i7-6700K in gam

Turn times have always been bad in late game Civ. A 6700 is only about 50% faster so they should drop to 10-15s. Not bad, but it's not exactly going to save you from drumming your fingers.

3. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: How much performance can I expect from upgrading an i5-2500 to an i7-6700K in gam

I think this is best in Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

5. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    My CPU is a none-K (K was out of stock when I went to buy the parts), so I was thinking it might be better to just buy a 2700K and OC it. Or am I just delaying the inevitable ?
    You'd be able to get a 4770/90 in your board wouldn't you?
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

7. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

A fair bit, aside from the PCIe bandwidth bump, '1080p range' of resolutions frequently sees the CPU bottlenecking the framerate. If you want to save a hundred quid, go for an i5-6600K instead and give it a modest overclock with a CPU multiplier bump. Hyperthreading wont help much with current games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

9. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Honestly? I'd probably just get yourself a 2500K / 2600K / 2700K from CEX and overclock to 4.5Ghz (assuming you have a suitable motherboard, RAM and heat sink)....

i5 2500K @ £72.00 with 2 year warranty
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...A#.WCt0lPmLQtg

i7 2600k @ £130.00 wth 2 year warranty
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...K#.WCt0vvmLQtg

i5 3570k @ £100.00 with 2 year warranty:
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...A#.WCt1l_mLQtg

i7 3770k @ £195.00 with 2 year warranty:
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...K#.WCt16vmLQtg

All are socket 1155 so should work, check motherboard compatibility for the 3*** options to double check it supports them (or at least update your BIOS before installing them)

11. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    No, haswell switched to socket 1150 so aren't compatible only 2*** (sandy bridge) and 3*** (ivy bridge) will work with the current motherboard.

13. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Just Cause 3

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...rks-1179397%2F

Overall, the game scales well with existing processor cores without showing any special features. The minimum requirement of a nimble quad core processor seems to us to be slightly exaggerated in the face of the measured values. Just Cause 3 can also be played properly with a Core i3 of the 4000 series (Haswell), if it has SMT alias hyperthreading. Even if it has only 2.5 GHz as in our measurement - real core i3-4xxx chips usually run with more than 3 GHz turbo, an average of 62 fps is possible. If SMT is missing, for example at the Pentium Anniversary, the fps drop significantly and the minimum values ​​in the partial critical 40s range. However, this can be countered by means of a high core clock, around 4 GHz is even with two Haswell cores all in the green range.

Civ6

http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performa...ance-analysis/

In order to find out how the game scales on various CPUs, we simulated a dual-core and a quad-core CPU. We also tested the game via the in-game benchmark tool as it features a really demanding scenario.

Our simulated dual-core system was able to run Civilization VI with framerates ranging from 30fps to 80fps. However, there was severe freezes when the game was calculating all the available moves. Our simulated quad-core system was able to offer a better experience, with a minimum framerate of 44fps. And while the freezes were significantly reduced, they were not completely eliminated.

Our hexa-core system was able to completely eliminate our freezes, however it appears that the game suffers from some performance issues. As you can see in the following comparison, this particular scene from the benchmark ran exactly the same on our simulated quad-core and hexa-core systems. What’s really interesting here is that both the CPU and the GPU were underused on our hexa-core system.

I would be looking at a Core i7 - the Core i7 3770 and 3770K also have PCI-E 3.0 capability too.

CEX also do the Core i7 3770 non-K for £150:

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SCPUINTI73770

You can use all cores Turbo and make it run at 3.9GHZ instead.

15. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (16-11-2016),Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

How does that Civ benchmark work? If this is anything like earlier games then really, you want a benchmark from end-game where there is a ton of stuff going on to keep the AI busy and the game runs "end of turn" something like 10 times. It is a turn based game not a frame based game, so frames per second doesn't seem relevant. Turns per minute would be way more interesting as that is game quality not eye candy quality.

Upgrading from 2500K to 6700K buys about 20% average frame for all that money? That is barely noticable, but if the turn time shown by those frames halves then that might be worth it.

Odd that a franchise that used Mantle didn't launch with Vulkan/DX12 which again you would hope would lower eye candy CPU usage to divert that grunt into the AI for better turn speed.

17. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The Civ5 benchmark was late game. AMD is rumoured to be bundling Civ6 with the RX480 soon,so I expect we might see the DX12 patch in the next month or two.

Edit!!

I posted a Civ5 in that APU competition I won:

http://forums.hexus.net/reader-revie...ml#post2548989

19. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Oh weird, I never received a notification that this thread had posts, I thought it had gone unnoticed ha.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    Turn times have always been bad in late game Civ. A 6700 is only about 50% faster so they should drop to 10-15s. Not bad, but it's not exactly going to save you from drumming your fingers.
    The problem is, it's a none-K, I'm locked to 3.3ghz, even if I just upgraded to the K I'd add like, 20-30% on that alone

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I think this is best in Hardware
    Sorry mate, didn't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Nay, socket limitations

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    A fair bit, aside from the PCIe bandwidth bump, '1080p range' of resolutions frequently sees the CPU bottlenecking the framerate. If you want to save a hundred quid, go for an i5-6600K instead and give it a modest overclock with a CPU multiplier bump. Hyperthreading wont help much with current games.
    That's still £500 for what amounts to bugger all

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Honestly? I'd probably just get yourself a 2500K / 2600K / 2700K from CEX and overclock to 4.5Ghz (assuming you have a suitable motherboard, RAM and heat sink)....

i5 2500K @ £72.00 with 2 year warranty
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...A#.WCt0lPmLQtg

i7 2600k @ £130.00 wth 2 year warranty
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...K#.WCt0vvmLQtg

i5 3570k @ £100.00 with 2 year warranty:
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...A#.WCt1l_mLQtg

i7 3770k @ £195.00 with 2 year warranty:
    https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku...K#.WCt16vmLQtg

All are socket 1155 so should work, check motherboard compatibility for the 3*** options to double check it supports them (or at least update your BIOS before installing them)
    I didn't realize the 3770k I think I'll go for that! I have been trying to contact this guy for days on ebay, he has a 2700k from Costa Rica for 178, but would take less for cash & pickup, and he's only down the road, I literally am ready to put the money in his hand, but he's ignored my 3 emails. Wow that worked out in my favour. Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    No, haswell switched to socket 1150 so aren't compatible only 2*** (sandy bridge) and 3*** (ivy bridge) will work with the current motherboard.
    Yupyup, as I'm just learning from this thread, it seems I can get an ivy bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Just Cause 3

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...rks-1179397%2F

TRIMMED

I would be looking at a Core i7 - the Core i7 3770 and 3770K also have PCI-E 3.0 capability too.

CEX also do the Core i7 3770 non-K for £150:

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SCPUINTI73770

You can use all cores Turbo and make it run at 3.9GHZ instead.
    Ya the benchmarks are with K models, usually OC'ed. The massive problem is my 3.3ghz lock. Just getting a K would give me like 20-30% alone. But ya as I'm finding out, the 3770k is an option. As for PCIe 3.0 that doesn't matter to me. Plus, it'd mean buying a new mobo, which I just don't need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    How does that Civ benchmark work? If this is anything like earlier games then really, you want a benchmark from end-game where there is a ton of stuff going on to keep the AI busy and the game runs "end of turn" something like 10 times. It is a turn based game not a frame based game, so frames per second doesn't seem relevant. Turns per minute would be way more interesting as that is game quality not eye candy quality.

Upgrading from 2500K to 6700K buys about 20% average frame for all that money? That is barely noticable, but if the turn time shown by those frames halves then that might be worth it.

Odd that a franchise that used Mantle didn't launch with Vulkan/DX12 which again you would hope would lower eye candy CPU usage to divert that grunt into the AI for better turn speed.
    Ya the Civ benchmarks are about graphics but I care about the actual turn times - I turn on quick combat and movement, I just want their turns to be over as quick as possible, and even with 4 AI and 6 city states, it takes donkeys years with my current one

The Civ5 benchmark was late game. AMD is rumoured to be bundling Civ6 with the RX480 soon,so I expect we might see the DX12 patch in the next month or two.

Edit!!

I posted a Civ5 in that APU competition I won:

http://forums.hexus.net/reader-revie...ml#post2548989
    No comment on this post, it just seemed rude to leave only yours out ha.

So ya thanks all, it looks like I'm getting a 3770k!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Looks like the DX12 patch for Civ6 has landed.

BTW,the Core i7 3770K only has a 200MHZ clockspeed advantage over the Core i7 3770 non-K.

22. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Looks like the DX12 patch for Civ6 has landed.

BTW,the Core i7 3770K only has a 200MHZ clockspeed advantage over the Core i7 3770 non-K.
    I'm going for the 2700k anyway, turns out my mobo doesn't work too well with Ivy Bridge. Not too much of an issue, the performance difference is quite small.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

That's still £500 for what amounts to bugger all
    Yup, it's difficult to justify CPU upgrading to modern platforms when the only real advantages is the platform itself and updated I/O. The added instructions per clock is nice, but it's not the end of the world to not have it either, especially when on a tight budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

25. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Yup, it's difficult to justify CPU upgrading to modern platforms when the only real advantages is the platform itself and updated I/O. The added instructions per clock is nice, but it's not the end of the world to not have it either, especially when on a tight budget.
    Aye, honestly if I had the K version of this I reckon I'd get at least another 3 years out of it, hell longer than that if the next console cycle sticks to 4 cores, as it's the consoles what dictate it, mostly.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

I'm going for the 2700k anyway, turns out my mobo doesn't work too well with Ivy Bridge. Not too much of an issue, the performance difference is quite small.
    Didn't know there were problems with Ivy Bridge compatibility - is it BIOS or what? If I may ask.

28. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (20-11-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information